Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed! X-pipe/crossover pipe or side muffler? what should I be really looking?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 08:01 PM
py0413
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Help needed! X-pipe/crossover pipe or side muffler? what should I be really looking?

Good afternoon/evening everyone,

First, I must apologize for another thread about exhaust as I couldn't make a decision after searching around. I have been reading posts and reviews on this forum and others for a while now. As I am trying to decide on an after market exhaust for better sound purpose, I think this is the right place for me to get some advices/suggestions. I am quite happy with the power of my 997.2 C2 (6-Speed) and increasing performance is not really what I am looking for. I will list a few things that I like and a few others I don't like for this modification.

like:

1. More aggressive sound
2. Easy to install (If bumper removal is not necessary, I can install it myself)
3. no trouble with dealership
4. above average built quality
5. Use the factory tip

dislike:

1. too loud
2. drone
3. CEL
4. warranty issue
5. loss low rpm power

Over the last few weeks, I have read/watched/listened many reviews through discussions/youtube/manufacture's websites. I have a list of brand names that I will consider buying from.

SharkWerks - cross over pipe
NHP - x-pipe
Fabspeed - x-pipe or side muffler
AWE - cross over pipe
Agency Power - exhaust system (side muffler with cross over pipe)
Tubi - exhaust system (side muffler with x-pipe, this may not happen as I think they will get too pricy)
Cargraphic - x-pipe or side muffler

If there is other good product that I have missed in the list, I would be more than happy to learn more about them.

your opinions/feedbacks/inputs/suggestions are all highly appreciated.

hope everybody has a wonderful weekend and enjoy driving in good health.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you guys for the quick replies.

I don't have PSE and I have eliminated PSE from my list because it does not make sense for me to buy/install that system at my local dealer as they will be super costly.

As of the Gundo Hack, although it's the cheapest way to create good sound, I am a little uncomfortable doing it as when my car is still under factory warranty. From what I heard, my local dealer isn't exactly the most mod-friendly one.

TO: Alan C.
I could only find SharkWerks x-pipe paired up with PSE sound clip/video online. Your setup sounds amazing and I would definitely go for the same if I had the PSE.

TO: okbarnett
Does the Agency Power system have any drone? Their piece looks well built and won't cost arms & legs to get. Have you ever experienced any CEL?

TO: Zeus993
I see that your location shows you are in Vancouver, BC. Is there a shop you would recommend for doing the Gundo Hack? I may not do it right now but once the car is out of warranty, I will seriously consider doing the hack.

TO: mdrums
I was reading and researching a bit more this afternoon and somewhere I read says the main factor to make a sound difference is by chaining the side muffler as you mentioned. The reasons I have the x-pipe/cross over pipe as my 1st choice are because they are cheaper and I am just looking forward to get a little louder/aggressive/deeper/sportier than the OEM-non-PSE exhaust. I really wish I had a chance to listen to some of them in person.

Last edited by py0413; 06-18-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

If you happen to have PSE I'd consider the Sharkwerks X-Pipe. I have that combo on my GTS. I had a Tubi on my previous 997.2. Great sound and no drone. They occasionally pop up used at a good price.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:12 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I tried x pipes, tubi, and ended up with agency power. Like the sound alot better. Good power increase.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:27 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,282 Likes on 593 Posts

It was mentioned on another message to consider a Gundo on a non-PSE .2
Old 06-17-2012, 11:52 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Stock side mufflers with either center X pipe from Fabspeed or crossover pipe from Sharkwerks will not cause any drone but also there is not much increase in sound either.

For street use with a nice sound you need to replace with side mufflers and do either the X or crossover in place on the center muffler.

I had Tubi....sold it to Okbarrnet who ran it for a while and sold it to get his Agency power. Tubi has zero drone but it is thinner sounding and raspy....true okbarnett????

I've had Fabspeed side mufflers too and put them through years of track abuse with zero issues and they sound deeper and more of a wail type of sound at higher rpm's....I liked my Fabspeed mufflers.

Right now my favorite mufflers are the offering from FVD. These are made by M&M in Germany and a lot of there products are raced in various motorsports in Europe and USA.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:48 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

The tubi felt the most powerful by least back pressure. But it was the loudest. And not quiet tame enough for me want to drive around all the time. The agency is nearly the same feel, but deeper sound and not as loud
Old 06-19-2012, 11:10 AM
JonasJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Sharwerks x pipe and live in North Vancouver, so if you like you can have a listen. I tried to find the same before I bought it. I find it did not make a substantial difference. Saves some weight though :-) I pm'ed you my email if you want to get in touch with me
Old 06-20-2012, 02:30 AM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sharkwerks bypass and maxflo mufflers set to loud the should fit the bill perfect...if the too loud you could always change to quiet mode....... i love it!!!
Old 08-20-2012, 03:40 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry I meant to post this earlier.. Better late than never. As you can see it's two independent pipes and hence we didn't want to merge them and create a further restriction:

Old 08-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Rocco07
Racer

I ordered the Sharkwerks about a week ago. I wanted to make my 997.2 sound more like my 997.1 did. If it does I'm done. A bonus is the weight savings and the HP increase. Compared to most other options, it's inexpensive. And I hear nothing but good things about the company. Plus, if I don't like it, I can swap back to the factory muffler and easily sell it here
The Gundo hack gets good reviews and it's also inexpensive, but it might be too loud for me and it's not easily reversible unless you have some spare mufflers laying around.
Full exhausts, Tubi, Fabspeed, are very expensive. For me, they are not worth the money simply to change the exhaust note. (maybe I'm missing something here tho)
Now, just waiting for my shipping notification from Sharkwerks
Old 08-20-2012, 04:15 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Sharkwerks cross pipes, which I found to be pretty tame with the stock side mufflers. So pretty much right away I decided to do something to the side mufflers too. I ended up settling on the FD Motorsports (Fister Mod) side mufflers, and I am very happy with the sound of the combination of the two. If you're easy on the throttle it sounds about like stock, but if you drive more aggressively the sound is pretty awesome. Soup to nuts the entire set-up cost a little more than $1000, and that includes the purchase of an essentially new set of side mufflers I bought on eBay to have Darin work on at FD Motorsports, and all shipping charges. So -even better- I still have all of the mufflers to return to stock later on if I so choose. I did all of the installation myself, and overall it is pretty easily done with just ramps.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Are the side mufflers the same for the 997.1 and 997.2? If that's the case, the bypass should do the trick for me.

Brian
Old 08-21-2012, 04:36 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rocco07
Are the side mufflers the same for the 997.1 and 997.2? If that's the case, the bypass should do the trick for me.

Brian
They arent. The center byapss on a .1 car will eliminate the cats. On a .2 car you will be eliminating a small muffler, which doesnt change the sound much at all.

Quick Reply: Help needed! X-pipe/crossover pipe or side muffler? what should I be really looking?