Sponsored by:

question about packages and options on the 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 04:45 PM
kimster
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about packages and options on the 997.1

I did search on this but nothing came up so I thought I would ask.

In a few months Im going to be looking to get either a 07-08 C4S or C2S...and Im starting to do a bit of my research and I had a few question.

*I read a lot of people say that the "chrono package" is a must. My question is what comes with the chrono package that makes it a must. I assume there is more to it than the clock on top of the dashboard.

Also beides the chrono package what other options or packages do these car have that I should look into or stay away from?

* When I read here in the forums I see a lot acronims that I don't know what they are. Can someone tell me what the following are? that way I know what Im reading

-SPASM
-PCM
-PCCB
-PSE
-IMS
-RMS

Thanks in advance guys...
Old 06-15-2012, 05:12 PM
997C2S9ff
Advanced

Hi,

PCCB = Porsche ceramic composite brakes (with the yellow calipers)
PCM = Porsche communication management (the gps/phone/audio player)
PSE = Porsche sport exhaust (the one with an inboard button, more sporty tone)
RMS = Rear main seal between the engine a geardrive (which was problematic on some 996 Carreras and early 997 Carreras)
IMS = Intermediate shaft - often refers to the shaft bearing
SPASM = Sport Porsche active stability management
Old 06-15-2012, 05:44 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The funny thing about sport chrono is that the actual visible stopwatch on the dash is most likely the LEAST useful part of the package. Yes, it does lap timing and some data recording, but it also gives you the sport mode switch on the dash, which really wakes the throttle response of the car, and open the valves of the sport exhaust and can loosen the traction control settings. It also allows you some control over car configuration, like the home lighting, daytime running lights, etc.

Someone will correct some of the details I am sure.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:10 PM
kimster
Intermediate

thanks for the info guys.... now I will know whats going on when I read the post..
Old 06-18-2012, 08:15 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go to the site "Renntech.org", order guides for the car are available. They list all available options for the various models, as well as the other options that are excluded with it. Compare this to the window sticker. In addition, some options, particularly in the interior, that were not originally specified for the car can be retrofitted later.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:42 PM
Aquary
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IslandS52
The funny thing about sport chrono is that the actual visible stopwatch on the dash is most likely the LEAST useful part of the package. Yes, it does lap timing and some data recording, but it also gives you the sport mode switch on the dash, which really wakes the throttle response of the car, and open the valves of the sport exhaust and can loosen the traction control settings. It also allows you some control over car configuration, like the home lighting, daytime running lights, etc.

Someone will correct some of the details I am sure.
It's hard to find an S model WITHOUT Sport Chrono, in my experience. I'm where many here are on the usefulness of the wart. But I can ignore that. What I really DON'T like is the way the SPORT button modifies the throttle response. In my view, that's something that should not be "adjustable". I've never had a problem on any other car with not being able to rotate my ankle fast enough to maximize acceleration. And on the 997 the Sport mode makes the throttle so sensitive that it's actually a PIA to modulate the throttle/clutch to get the car off the line gracefully. No issue with it in "non-Sport" mode.

JMO...
Old 06-19-2012, 12:36 AM
Renzsport
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aquary
And on the 997 the Sport mode makes the throttle so sensitive that it's actually a PIA to modulate the throttle/clutch to get the car off the line gracefully. No issue with it in "non-Sport" mode.

JMO...
Sounds to me like you're not using it right
I've only got sport mode on when I'm tromping it... to me the full throttle/drop clutch shifts are so much better and unbelievably smooth in sport mode. But when I'm driving civil, it's off.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:13 AM
jason74
Instructor

If I turn on sport mode, I overrev the engine and slip the clutch a lot when rolling off and the throttle gets 'twitchy', overly sensitive. Very irritating. Appearantly, it also loosens the nanny control stability management, but that's what the 'off' switch next to it is for!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Aquary
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Renzsport
Sounds to me like you're not using it right
I've only got sport mode on when I'm tromping it... to me the full throttle/drop clutch shifts are so much better and unbelievably smooth in sport mode. But when I'm driving civil, it's off.
And that's the way I'd use my Sport button if I didn't have PSE as well. But on cars with Sport Chrono and PSE, the only way to turn on the PSE (that I've been able to determine) is to put it in Sport mode. So when I just want to listen to the great exhaust note, I'm stuck with the jumpy accelerator pedal.

I know it's possible to pull a couple connectors and permanently put the exhaust in Sport, but there are times when I like the car in "quiet" mode, too.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:07 PM
Renzsport
Instructor

Originally Posted by jason74
If I turn on sport mode, I overrev the engine and slip the clutch a lot when rolling off and the throttle gets 'twitchy', overly sensitive. Very irritating. Appearantly, it also loosens the nanny control stability management, but that's what the 'off' switch next to it is for!
Ok try to be more aggressive with the clutch in sport mode. Don't worry about easing it on - let it go quicker with >half throttle and I think you'll notice an improvement. You might think that it would just be like popping the clutch and the car's just gonna shake back and forth, but I find it reacts a lot better to this behaviour... the engine's got a lot of power so it'll grab hold and shoot you forward very nicely and smoothly. That's what I find anyhow.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Renzsport
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aquary
And that's the way I'd use my Sport button if I didn't have PSE as well. But on cars with Sport Chrono and PSE, the only way to turn on the PSE (that I've been able to determine) is to put it in Sport mode. So when I just want to listen to the great exhaust note, I'm stuck with the jumpy accelerator pedal.

I know it's possible to pull a couple connectors and permanently put the exhaust in Sport, but there are times when I like the car in "quiet" mode, too.
I hear ya! I like my quiet mode too!
Old 06-20-2012, 03:08 AM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kimster
I did search on this but nothing came up so I thought I would ask.

In a few months Im going to be looking to get either a 07-08 C4S or C2S...and Im starting to do a bit of my research and I had a few question.

*I read a lot of people say that the "chrono package" is a must. My question is what comes with the chrono package that makes it a must. I assume there is more to it than the clock on top of the dashboard.

Also beides the chrono package what other options or packages do these car have that I should look into or stay away from?

* When I read here in the forums I see a lot acronims that I don't know what they are. Can someone tell me what the following are? that way I know what Im reading

-SPASM
-PCM
-PCCB
-PSE
-IMS
-RMS

Thanks in advance guys...
Might as well get a 09 and up 997.2 DFI engine and avoid IMS issues altogether.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Contrary to Porsche's packaging options of the past, in that range of years Porsche didn't offer much in the way of 'packages.' In the MY06 cars they offered about 65 pages of options to the sophisticated buyer who wanted a custom bespoke car. I have seen that lately Porsche has begun to reintroduce 'packages' which combine certain popular options with others. (They did this at times in the past). The the 997.1 cars there were virtually no 'packages' per se, unless you want to consider the Chrono-package a package, which gives you the clock-timer on the dash, an optional accelerator responsiveness, and engages the PSE--if you have it.

Quick Reply: question about packages and options on the 997.1