Sponsored by:

Bilstein Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 03:49 AM
scotsskier
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein Coilovers?

Was taking a quick look under my 2008 Cab earlier this evening and was surprised to see adjustable spring platforms and what looks like bilstein coilovers. I had suspected it sat a bit lower than standard but this may be why. Sorry for crappy photos but just tried to snap rear through wheel with phone. Can anyone confirm if this looks like a Bilstein Coilover (it is a Bilstein, doesn't look like standard OEM though)

Attachment 640410

Last edited by scotsskier; 07-13-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:15 PM
acao
Racer

It looks very much like a Bilstein coilover. The blue springs and the use of a helper spring are consistent with Bilstein and different from OEM.

At the front axle, look at the bottom of the dampers and you might find a thumb sized rubber cap in the same color blue. If so, this rubber cap covers the adjustment dial for the damper rates.

For the rears, the dial is at the top of the dampers, visible after removing the subwoofer and some carpeting.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:00 PM
scotsskier
Advanced

Originally Posted by acao
It looks very much like a Bilstein coilover. The blue springs and the use of a helper spring are consistent with Bilstein and different from OEM.

At the front axle, look at the bottom of the dampers and you might find a thumb sized rubber cap in the same color blue. If so, this rubber cap covers the adjustment dial for the damper rates.

For the rears, the dial is at the top of the dampers, visible after removing the subwoofer and some carpeting.
Yes, it was in for an oil service today (still under warranty) so had a look around when it was up on the lift. Bilstein coil overs all round and, according to the tech, sits around half to three quarters of an inch lower than an S as it was tight to get the lift under it. I had thought it sat a bit lower! May think about raising it slightly as I have a small slope on my driveway. So an unexpected bonus as I did not know they we're fitted when I bought it.

There is a knock from from right corner though which I need to check out. Sounds suspiciously like a faulty damper which surprises me for a bilstein. ( When I used to run them on my forest rally cars they were virtually indestructible) .

Got a good look around it and very clean all round as I had thought. Also found a magnetic drain plug fitted. All clean on plug and filter which is good.

Quick Reply: Bilstein Coilovers?