Porsche Aerokit Options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 01:43 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 821 Likes on 454 Posts
Default Porsche Aerokit Options?

Gents
Am thinking of adding either the full Aerokit from Porsche to my 2009 C4S or possibly just the front spoiler as a sort of 2012 refresh of the car this summer. Already have done some interior bits and have BBS CH-R wheels and such to the car alone with PDK upgrades from SunCoast Porsche. I was wondering the following:

1) What has been folks experience with the aerokits as far as fit/finish?
2) Any difficulties with driving other than front ground clearance?
3) Installation issues or things to look out for? Any specific nuances that will change the car or need to be addressed?
4) Assume this is not a DIY but for those who've added aerokits post production (i.e. after factory delivery) who did the best job? Most preferred? Have dealer do it? Go to best body shop in the area (one familiar with p-cars)?
5) How long could/should I expect such a job to take?
6) Who provides the "best" areokit product? Go OEM with Porsche's kit? Or are there other options? Friend got kit parts from his Boxster from ebay and suggested I check there but am sort of lery on what I'd get from that route?
7) Suncoast has a sale going on...is this a good price? What would I be looking at likely in labor/painting, etc? Average ball park..what is a good price?
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...Code=9972gtsae
8) Would a factory Aerokit or GT3 or GTS bumper and accessories fit on my C4S seeing its a wide body car?
9) What material are these kits made of? CF? Polyurethene? I've saw some ads for duraflex bumpers and wings and such? What is that?
10) Any over all experiences with cars with full Aerokits is also welcome as I may be missing something in my above thoughts/Inquiries?

I've been to my dealership a few times and seen the new Porsches (991) and while a great car mechanically; I just am not at this point in the mood nor inclined to drop $110-120k plus to get one optioned the way I want (just too similar to my 997 in many ways IMHO). Nor am I enamoured with the car and changes at this point. It'll probably take a few more years into the model year to grow on me to the point of picking one up. Maybe in 2014-2015 a nice one off a 1-2 yr lease optioned appropriately will be palatable to the Mrs and possibly allow me to keep BOTH cars but until then I think my '09 997 will do good duty with a few mid-year upgrades too as the Aerokit before I take the plunge.

Anyway appreciate thoughts and of course any pics gents! Please send both good and bad! BTW here's my car currently...

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 12-22-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:33 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

it will just make it look like a GTS, it wouldnt be worth it to me
Old 06-10-2012, 10:04 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My car has an aerokit, but I would not add one if it did not. The benefit, if any, is pretty darn subtle, and the front spoiler scrapes on the driveway more often than you might imagine. For the comparable money on a new car, I'd go for the PCCB brakes.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OEM 997 AeroKit is the way to go. I have seen very few 997.2's with the factory AeroKit so you will be driving something that is even more rare than a similarly equipped 997.1.

I'll defer to Porsche on whether there will be any issues with the OEM kit on a
4S...my guess is there won't be any problem.

Driveability is a concern but, with a replacement OEM GT3 unpainted front spoiler lip, scraping becomes more of a non-event. My spoiler lip is chewed up and it doesn't bother me in the least.

The aerodynamic advantages of the Kit are only in play above 80-90MPH...I've had my C2S up to 140MPH on the track but frankly couldn't feel the extra 100 pounds or so of downforce on the rear (I was thinking about other things...like keeping the shiny side up).

My Kit was installed at the dealer before I purchased the car new. No issues or concerns...just find a good body shop and pray for a good paint match.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Frino; 06-12-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:19 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

No direct experience with install, BUT, all I can say is that for sure STICK to OEM! The costs are in-par with aftermarket with much better quality/fit/finish and engineering behind them, and you keep the car looking OEM.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

I put the factory aero kit on my 09 C2S and the fit was near perfect. The body shop did little if any modifications to install the kit. The owner of the shop commented they never had problems with the factory kits.

Quick Reply: Porsche Aerokit Options?