Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a contact at PCNA

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012 | 12:35 PM
Skibum
Banned

Originally Posted by blake
I attended the Porsche Driving Experience back in Sept 2006 and had a blast in their "intro" 2 day course. I had plenty of track time, and thoroughly enjoyed turing figure 8s in a 911 on a wet skid pad, and of course competing in a team autocross. I could have done without the off road ride in the Cayenne, but clearly this class was about the "Porsche Driving Experience" (aptly named at the time).

So what has changed with the class in the last 5.5 years? MJones (997 board regular) has spent 100s of hours at the Porsche school and raves about it.... I have also heard others talk about how much fun it is...
Hi Blake

I still maintain that it is a wonderful introductory experience.
It would be great fun for anyone that has never been in a fast car or on a track.
Old 06-05-2012 | 02:05 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

I think I would have to side with the school on this. I'm sure everyone who walks in the door claims they
Know how to drive but they have liability concerns. They have to keep everyone safe as well as the cars. There are tiered coarses but you need to move up the ranks to prove you know the basics. I'm sorry but some track classes 20 years ago does not prove you are capable.

I was under the
Impression that the schools goal was to
Provide some basic experience on how a Porsche will perform.
Old 06-05-2012 | 02:16 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Skibum-

Sorry you did not have a good experience at PSDS!
You are an exception, not the rule.
The classes have to be setup for the lowest common denominator....
Perhaps you are not as good as you think you are..I don't know...
Did you not come away with anything positive in any of the exercises?

You should contact Jeff Purner (jeff.purner@porsche.us) and express your displeasure to him.
Old 06-05-2012 | 02:20 PM
Skibum
Banned

Hi Hella

Understanding that you have already made up your mind I'd still like to add, on day 1 on the auto cross track the instructor riding with me said he had NEVER seen anyone drive the line correct out of the box.. until then. On day 1 the instructor riding with me on the big course said "it's obvious that you have a bunch of track experience" - Try to understand that I didn't run to them and say "I'm great.." and I only post this now because of your disparaging comment.
If classes at Skip Barber don't mean anything, then what does? Shelling out another $9000 to PSDS?
Old 06-05-2012 | 02:26 PM
Skibum
Banned

Originally Posted by MJones
Skibum-

Sorry you did not have a good experience at PSDS!
You are an exception, not the rule.
The classes have to be setup for the lowest common denominator....
Perhaps you are not as good as you think you are..I don't know...
Did you not come away with anything positive in any of the exercises?

You should contact Jeff Purner (jeff.purner@porsche.us) and express your displeasure to him.

Hiya MJones

I can assure you I am far worse than I think I drive in my head.
I totally agree with everything (else) you said which is why I have repeatedly said that the school is a great experience for some folks.
Yes I did learn a bit. Unfortunately it was impossible to put into practice what they taught due to the absurdly low speed.

It was Jeff Purner that I spoke with immediately following the track session and it was Jeff that handed me his card when I was leaving, giving me the impression that he would make some attempt at working things out.

If Jeff had stuck with everything that is posted on the PSDS site, then you are correct, I really would not have any argument. The fact that he revealed to me on the phone that I SHOULD have requested advanced placement into a class better suited to my ability DESPITE there being statements saying that is not possible on the site IMHO opens the door for me to have a legitimate gripe.
Old 06-05-2012 | 06:39 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Skibum
Hi Hella

Understanding that you have already made up your mind I'd still like to add, on day 1 on the auto cross track the instructor riding with me said he had NEVER seen anyone drive the line correct out of the box.. until then. On day 1 the instructor riding with me on the big course said "it's obvious that you have a bunch of track experience" - Try to understand that I didn't run to them and say "I'm great.." and I only post this now because of your disparaging comment.
If classes at Skip Barber don't mean anything, then what does? Shelling out another $9000 to PSDS?
Hey Skibum,

Don't get me wrong... I'd be upset if I spent that kind of money and felt like I didn't get out of it what was implied that I would. I'm just looking a it from a business perspective and realize the accountability and liability that must be involved in something like this. I never implied you couldn't drive. What I meant was that they can't assume anyone who has had track experience will have the required skills to drive one of their cars in the manner in which they need to be assured of based on declarations. It's not like an accredited college that allows class credit transfers. When they mentioned those things did they mention putting you in a different class? Hopefully you can get some sort of partial credit for the next level.

I wasn't trying to bum you out further. Just trying to bring the perspective of how I would have to run things as a business owner. That being said, I would have made you feel taken care of before you left somehow.
Old 06-05-2012 | 06:51 PM
Skibum
Banned

Thanks Hella... I understand now. It's all good.

Working in customer support I feel I have a pretty good understanding of what SHOULD have transpired.
A customer being told essentially "Too bad" is not good for business or reputation.
Old 06-05-2012 | 08:03 PM
Taxi?
Instructor

Hi Lewis
Thanks for the effluvial comments.

I never told anyone that "I would not purchase another Porsche" That is simply what I WILL DO. I never "threaten" anyone. That is not how things are done.

A Porsche is a great car. This is my 3rd one. Why would I want to spend money with a company that doesn't care about its customers? What other option does a person have to express their displeasure?

Because we do not "hide" things in our family my sister had absolutely no issue with my experience. (It's only whining in your eyes it seems)

Oh BTW I am that mere mortal. I saved for 2 years to be able to afford to go at all. $4000 plus dollars is quite a lot of money for me.

I visited the Driving School page many many times since my wonderful experience at the Porsche Experience in Monticello last year. Where I was told that "If you liked the driving experience, you HAVE to go to the school."
Well the experience was 10 times the thrill and fun of the school. Far higher speeds, and a real track for autocross, not a small course stuffed inside a tiny parking lot.
Skibum, sorry to hear about your disappointing experience. But thanks for teaching me a new word:

Effluvial: The odorous fumes given off by waste or decaying matter.

I'm gonna' use that from now on. Seriously though, I have to agree that if the PSDS is not related to PCNA, then why would one cause you to have a negative impact on the other?
Old 06-05-2012 | 08:06 PM
Skibum
Banned

IF they are not part of the same entity then my opinion would change as my displeasure would be solely with PSDS.
That has yet to be proven.

Effluvial is a great word.
Old 06-05-2012 | 08:13 PM
Slamuth
Racer

Thanks Afshin

If I can prevent even 1 person from making the same mistake I'll feel a bit better.
Well, much appreciated. I've considered the P Driving School a couple times, thinking it must match the product in quality...thanks for the $4k savings!
Old 06-05-2012 | 08:16 PM
Skibum
Banned

Hi Shane

I am VERY happy to have helped.
Old 06-05-2012 | 08:36 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Well, maybe you've helped. Your experience was yours, and not universal.... That said, sorry to hear of your disappointment.

I did the PSDS, both the Performance and Masters, back to back. I had done several HPDEs beforehand. In my group for the Performance course was a nationally rated Spec Racer Ford owner that put in over 50 track days a year and a Argentinian that raced Formula Fords we called 'Senna' with respect ... Put it this way, I had one hell of a time keeping up. The Instructor wasn't slowing that group down, I was LOL..

Each course and class is different and can be heavily dependent on the skill levels presented globally, ie for the entire grouping.

Not trying to convince you Skibum or say you position is not valid, as it is. I am simply balancing out the conversation somewhat for those using this thread as a decider. Again, it is too bad you did not have a great experience.
Old 06-05-2012 | 08:43 PM
Skibum
Banned

Understood.
My experience was my experience. As I've posted multiple times during this thread that the school is excellent for a certain (possibly large) segment of Porsche owners.
If you are referring to the Argentinean instructor, then "Senna" was great. what a personality!
Old 06-05-2012 | 08:59 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

"Noun 1. Argentinian - a native or inhabitant of Argentina
Argentina, Argentine Republic - a republic in southern South America; second largest country in South America
South American - a native or inhabitant of South America "

Senna was actually born in São Paulo, Brazil, but it was close enough for the PSDS

wise ***.......... LOL
Old 06-05-2012 | 09:05 PM
Skibum
Banned

I'm just a bad person... lol
Cheers.

Quick Reply: Looking for a contact at PCNA