Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cab vs coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 12:13 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

The colors on the turbo cab are really tempting to me. But that's getting pretty pricey for a 5 yo car with no warranty.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:44 AM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Wow. Thanks guys. Just what I thought. I forgot to mention that, err, due to local police speed enforcement I'm looking for more DRAMA with less speed. I think the cab may be just the answer. You track-heads out there may have a point in saying "go to the track and get yer need fer speed fix" but time permitting, the cab looks to be the answer.
But in contrast to horses and boats, surely the cab doesn't follow the 'best two days of your life' rule, right?
Absolutely not. That's why I'm not selling my Z4 until I have a 997 cab in my driveway.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
My first real cabriolet is this one. Porsche has learned a lot on how to build a cabriolet. No plastic windows, no rain getting in, great insulation... Buy the cabriolet. It has unlimited headroom. I put the top down a lot.
Simply beautiful Dan.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:46 AM
ufischer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have had 3 cabs including this one. 1990's BMW 325 and 2000 BMW Z3 previously. We had given up on finding a cab this time around but really lucked out finding our absolute preferred color combo C4S. I can honestly say I put the top down way more in this car than in the previous 2. There really is very little that Porsche has given up with the cab vs. the coupe. Rigidity is great, excellent handling (this may be because of my 4) and wind noise (with the windscreen installed) is the lowest I have ever experienced in a cab, even at highway speeds.

The cab will creak, like every convertible out there. But other than that, zero complaints.

I have my top down every chance I get. Here is South Florida, that is quite often. Usually once a day as this is my DD.

Do get ventilated/heated seats. They are awesome on a cab. Heated wheel is a bonus.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:51 AM
DDL24
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's really personal preference. I love my cab, it feels so free when there is no roof over the head...I open my sunroof on my daily driver too when conditions warrant. So I am the type who likes wind buffering. There can be some real magical moments in a cab such as warm summer nights cruising...even my wife who is not a convertible person at all, commented how wonderful it was the other night in my 911 cab. There is always a trade off somewhere. But life is short, open air motoring should add a interesting perspective. And yes, you get more of the flat six sounds too...can't have enough of it.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:29 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

If you look through the responses on this thread, most of the pro-Cab replies are from people in warm climates. Only a few responses are from owners living in the northeast, and those who have responded from this area seem to use their cars only in the warmer months. For example:

Originally Posted by John NY-Naples
I live in Westchester, and my top is down 90% of the time. The only time it's up is when it's sub 40F, or inclement weather.
If you live in Westchester the temperature is below 40F (and/or raining) far more than just 10% of the year. John obviously only drives his P-car in the Spring/Summer/early Fall. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. It just means that whether or not you get a drop-top depends on how, when and where you drive your car.

Living in Vancouver, you may have too few months in which a convertible will be appropriate. Do you want to drive with the top down under 50F?

Here's what weather.com has to say about Vancouver weather.

-Avg---High --- Low --- Mean --- Rainfall
Jan --- 42°F --- 32°F --- 37°F --- 5.90 in.
Feb --- 46°F --- 34°F --- 40°F --- 4.90 in.
Mar --- 49°F --- 36°F --- 43°F --- 4.30 in.
Apr --- 54°F --- 40°F --- 48°F --- 3.00 in.
May --- 61°F --- 46°F --- 54°F --- 2.40 in.
Jun --- 66°F --- 51°F --- 59°F --- 1.80 in.
Jul --- 71°F --- 54°F --- 63°F --- 1.40 in.
Aug --- 71°F --- 55°F --- 63°F --- 1.50 in.
Sep --- 65°F --- 50°F --- 58°F --- 2.50 in.
Oct --- 56°F --- 43°F --- 50°F --- 4.50 in.
Nov --- 48°F --- 37°F --- 43°F --- 6.70 in.
Dec --- 43°F --- 33°F --- 38°F --- 7.00 in.

Compared to Arizona, Florida and most of California (where most of these responses are coming from) Vancouver's like a dog's nose. Cold and wet.

All that being said, I'd love to have a convertible. But I live in New Jersey. It's cold as hell in the winter and hot as hell in the summer. I figure there are about a 45- 60 days a year where it's not too hot and it's not too cold. Of those days, how many will it also not be raining? How many will be on days where I can't make it out due to work or other obligations? For me it's just not practical. What's the point of having a drop top if you can't drop it?

In the end, only you can determine how much a) you'll realistically open the roof, and b) what's those open-roof days are worth to you. Hell, I'll play golf when it's 35F. You'd never catch a Floridian out there on a day like that!
Old 06-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
If you look through the responses on this thread, most of the pro-Cab replies are from people in warm climates. Only a few responses are from owners living in the northeast, and those who have responded from this area seem to use their cars only in the warmer months. For example:

If you live in Westchester the temperature is below 40F (and/or raining) far more than just 10% of the year. John obviously only drives his P-car in the Spring/Summer/early Fall. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. It just means that whether or not you get a drop-top depends on how, when and where you drive your car.

Living in Vancouver, you may have too few months in which a convertible will be appropriate. Do you want to drive with the top down under 50F?

Compared to Arizona, Florida and most of California (where most of these responses are coming from) Vancouver's like a dog's nose. Cold and wet.

All that being said, I'd love to have a convertible. But I live in New Jersey. It's cold as hell in the winter and hot as hell in the summer. I figure there are about a 45- 60 days a year where it's not too hot and it's not too cold. Of those days, how many will it also not be raining? How many will be on days where I can't make it out due to work or other obligations? For me it's just not practical. What's the point of having a drop top if you can't drop it?

In the end, only you can determine how much a) you'll realistically open the roof, and b) what's those open-roof days are worth to you. Hell, I'll play golf when it's 35F. You'd never catch a Floridian out there on a day like that!
You know, Vancouver here is a great spot to live and we do not have the severe temp fluctuations that the east does. I actually see more tops down here in Vancouver than I do when I go to Florida. My business partner has had two 335i's and keep her top down a lot. The answer to your question would I have the top down in 50 degree weather, no rain,YES! Any one I choose will have heated seats etc...
And when we get the odd week of snow I don't drive the p-car anyways. Too many goofy drivers on the road. I walk. Maybe it's my windsurfing history and love of the elements that's got me interested. All good viewpoints on this thread... Thanks!
Old 06-04-2012, 01:23 PM
DDL24
Instructor

Originally Posted by mgordon18

I agree with mgordon18 100%....but i also want to emphasis, "convertible"...ie you can have fabric roof in place when it's not ideal. someone, like me, are willing to put up with the trade off and someone is on the other side of the argument. it's great that we are able to face such "nice" problems....
Old 06-04-2012, 01:49 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

I drove a buddy's 07 cab a few weeks back and LOVED it. I feel cramped in my coupe and am considering jumping over into a C4S or TT cab. Any thoughts on those that have a cab. How often do you drop the top? Your thoughts please...
Since you live in Vancouver, I'd say stick to Coupe... come on, be realistic, how many months of the year could you use the open roof?
Old 06-04-2012, 02:00 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in far more harsh environment than Northeasters - with longer winters, colder temperatures, and significantly more snow. My C2S Cab is my DD, and with proper snow tires it is a beast. And if you really want a hard top for winter, then buy a 996 top off ebay and you are good to go....

Get the Cab - you won't regret it.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:59 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

One last comment and something to consider.

The roof down months are April, May, June, July, August, September, October & some days in November and March...........more days down than up for sure!

Don't let people tell you there are limited days to enjoy the open air....they obviously don't love cabs because cab lovers know the possiblities!

Their tops are down almost all the time or more than most exotic dancers!

Tom
Old 06-04-2012, 10:42 PM
Renzsport
Instructor

I don't know man. 9 times out of 10 it's the coupe for me, and not because I live in Canada. It's a lot drier in Edmonton than Van so technically better conditions for cab.
Fact of the matter is added weight and reduced stiffness takes away from the Porsche purity everyone aches over. Most people I see with convertibles have them up (even in ideal conditions), and it makes me ask WHY?!?!?!
Also, The cab takes away from the classic 911 lines, so to this end I propose they don't look as good as the coupe either with the top up or down. You'll never have that stunning roof slope in a cab. How can you do without it in a 911!
Lastely, you're in VAN! It's always nice and warm (even in JAnuary, I was there this year January and didn't need a jacket or toque? what's with that? ) but let's be serious, about 8 days a year with no rain? Doesn't give you much time to enjoy the "open air" qualities, if you would in fact chose to do so (unlike most ppl I see, again why?!)
Stick with the coupe, open the sunroof!
Old 06-04-2012, 10:55 PM
jes999
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Renzsport
IFact of the matter is added weight and reduced stiffness takes away from the Porsche purity everyone aches over.
Unlike the older cabs, with the 997 the stiffness differential is not noticeable except on the track. Also, not certain that the weight difference is noticeable a vast majority of people.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:39 PM
Renzsport
Instructor

Originally Posted by jes999
Unlike the older cabs, with the 997 the stiffness differential is not noticeable except on the track. Also, not certain that the weight difference is noticeable a vast majority of people.
I know I was picking hairs Not enough pro-coupe action in here ha ha
Not noticeable on the street. But always in the back of my mind!
Old 06-04-2012, 11:43 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For me it's not a sports car unless the top goes down. If its 70 degrees or warmer and not raining hard my top is down.

Quick Reply: Cab vs coupe?