Sponsored by:

Options to RAISE 997.1 4S

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 11:19 AM
07C4S
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zanwar
There's the mother of all invisible dips on the westbound section of Hubbard, between Halsted and Ashland. I've smacked both the front of the Porsche and the *Range Rover* on this one. So I don't think an extra inch of clearance will get you much, not unless the new springs are rock hard as well. Seems like it's the bobbing nose of the 997 that's the problem. You have to learn the weight shift behavior of the car. Get onto the brakes just before the dip, get back to the power before the far side and hopefully the car will bounce over the top without taking a hit. I believe a member on this board installed a custom skid plate under the front bumper, you could give that a shot. Or switch to a 991 or an R8, they don't bounce as much. The Maser is also quite decent in this regard, front mid-engine doesn't bounce a whole lot.
I know that dip on Hubbard. I realize you can not prevent all scrapes in this city but judging by the underside of my bumper some of the minor ones would be prevented and the bigger ones less severe.

Nose dive - I've also found that activating the sport suspension helps on some - at least those that the scrape comes at the end vs. the beginning. Great for speed bumps but not usually for the dips.

Skid plate is interesting but that's extra weight and would also lower the clearance. Curious to see the post though. Will look around.

The overhang on the 991 is less. I'll have the 997 for several years before I upgrade though. Love the R8. Those just aren't coming down in price much - even the V8s. I like to buy my cars lightly used out of good weather/road states for a big discount from new.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:54 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

all you have to do to raise your car is to order eibach springs of required lenght, than may be put some tenders too. if you raise it 1.5" from stock it may not be good for driving stability.
an expensive but workin approach is to put PSS9 coilovers with cargraphic lift system, but it will cost a lot.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by 07C4S

As far as the "driving dynamics" being destroyed and the impression the car will be unsafe at any speed....absolutely ridiculous. I'm not talking about jacking this thing up to take on Jeeps at Moab while also hitting Road America to race on the weekends. This isn't anything radical and I've talked to plenty of people who know 911s and track very expensive and high performance cars. They said I'll be fine and are very interested if I figure anything out. A well known shop in the area that does a lot of 911 work told me more horror stories about the people that lower their cars - which seems to be mostly for aesthetics then performance around these forums. A high percentage of the lowered 911s are done poorly and have worse "driving dynamics" than stock or they eat tires very quickly. He also said most drivers aren't pushing the limits of the stock setup anyway and are wasting their money. Spend the money on lessons and track time instead. (Don't get me started on some of the popular aftermarket inexpensive (aka poorly made) rims and the impact on driving dynamics.)

"So what - its the bottom of your bumper." Seriously??? I don't care if it easy to see or not. I always take care of my cars. I'd gladly spend $1000 once to improve the car as a daily driver based on where I live then repaint the front bumper a couple times a year. That's going to add up in a hurry.
No one is suggesting that the car will be dangerous. Will you most likely get more body roll, yes. Will the car feel a little mushy? probably. Is it going to be dangerous? no.

Your reference to poorly lowered cars is irrelevant. No one here is suggesting that you poorly lower your car or even that those people have done their car properly.

That said, a properly lowered, or even factory height car will feel better than your raised car. Will you be able to feel or be hampered by the difference? Only you will know because no one knows what kind of driver you are.

If experienced 911 people are telling you its no big deal, why are you on here asking about it? Just ask them and they'll fix you right up.

Now, I don't see why you are so upset about some scratches on the bottom of your bumper. Seriously??? um, yes. Its a piece of plastic. Respray it if it really bothers you (when you are rolling on the ground looking at your front bumper bottom)

I also think its amazing that you mentioned the weight of a skidplate, but want to lift your car.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:22 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that dip on Hubbard. I realize you can not prevent all scrapes in this city but judging by the underside of my bumper some of the minor ones would be prevented and the bigger ones less severe.

Nose dive - I've also found that activating the sport suspension helps on some - at least those that the scrape comes at the end vs. the beginning. Great for speed bumps but not usually for the dips.

Skid plate is interesting but that's extra weight and would also lower the clearance. Curious to see the post though. Will look around.

The overhang on the 991 is less. I'll have the 997 for several years before I upgrade though. Love the R8. Those just aren't coming down in price much - even the V8s. I like to buy my cars lightly used out of good weather/road states for a big discount from new.
I've been running the 911 on these roads for a while now. The car has hit the ground several times but there has never been any visible damage, not anything you can see without raising the car on a lift anyway. It's the bottom of the bumper that hits, not the front edge. One thing you may want to check... there's a rubber strip fitted under the front bumper that's there for protection. Mine was torn off the car quite early on, and I had it replaced. Take a look to see if your car has it installed. Also look into clear film protection for the front bumper. That stuff is quick to remove and install but you're probably looking at a custom job for the underside of the bumper. Best of luck and let us know if you find a solution that works.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:04 PM
07C4S
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I also think its amazing that you mentioned the weight of a skidplate, but want to lift your car.
I want more ground clearance. Not less. Depending what a skid plate is made out of and how thick it is - it could hinder the goal. I notice the front of the car is lower with a "frunk" full of groceries. So yes - I would be concerned and don't find that very amazing to believe.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:11 PM
07C4S
Instructor

Originally Posted by zanwar
I've been running the 911 on these roads for a while now. The car has hit the ground several times but there has never been any visible damage, not anything you can see without raising the car on a lift anyway. It's the bottom of the bumper that hits, not the front edge. One thing you may want to check... there's a rubber strip fitted under the front bumper that's there for protection. Mine was torn off the car quite early on, and I had it replaced. Take a look to see if your car has it installed. Also look into clear film protection for the front bumper. That stuff is quick to remove and install but you're probably looking at a custom job for the underside of the bumper. Best of luck and let us know if you find a solution that works.
I do have a lift I park on occasionally - or frequently depending what else I'm driving. Regardless, eventually enough gouges will result in bigger problems.

I'll let you know what I find. With the thousands of posts and very active forums I thought somebody else in the daily driver camp may have some ideas. Doesn't look like there is anything readily available with some reviews as I was trying to avoid trial/error or custom fabrication. My fault for even asking here - thought it might be better received here vs. 6speed. Learning fast what a unique group the Porsche crowd is.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:47 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Ok, I am a bit confused, do you want more comfort, or ground clearance, or both?

If comfort, just get all-season tires on 18inch wheels (you can find OEM wheels for cheap), and be done with it.

If ground clearance, it's much harder, I think the best option is to find a non-PASM suspension, off a Carrera 4, and would still be very compliant with good Porsche handling. You can either search around forums, eBay, or just order those springs from your dealer. That would raise it half an inch, and I really think that's all you need. I have an 07C4S as daily drive and I very rarely have clearance issues on the streets, and I think a 0.5inch raise would have zero bottoming out.

PS. I am sure a Carrera 4 rennlister wouldn't mind to go lower to PASM height. Why not post here (and on 6speed) to see if a C4 driver wants to trade their springs for yours. Probably easiest and cheapest way to do this.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:49 PM
07C4S
Instructor

At this point - my concern is ground clearance. When I had the car in Florida I had no complaints about the ride comfort with 19" rims (nor ground clearance). Now that back in Chicago I suspect the 18"s would be better. I'll run 18"s in the winter with snow tires. That might sway me to run 18"s year round.

I'd hate to lose the PASM suspension but you may be right. Probably wouldn't do the swap - I'd want to put the car back to stock when it comes time to sell. Was hoping a spring swap or spacer at the top of the strut might be an available/known option.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:24 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

At this point - my concern is ground clearance. When I had the car in Florida I had no complaints about the ride comfort with 19" rims (nor ground clearance). Now that back in Chicago I suspect the 18"s would be better. I'll run 18"s in the winter with snow tires. That might sway me to run 18"s year round.

I'd hate to lose the PASM suspension but you may be right. Probably wouldn't do the swap - I'd want to put the car back to stock when it comes time to sell. Was hoping a spring swap or spacer at the top of the strut might be an available/known option.
Don't lose PASM shocks, just change the springs to regular springs that are taller, then you gain that little extra that you are looking for. Either that, or aftermarket.

PS. Someone correct me if I am wrong, I think you could just change the springs on PASM without changing shocks, correct?
Old 05-31-2012, 11:04 AM
07C4S
Instructor

Originally Posted by alexb76
Don't lose PASM shocks, just change the springs to regular springs that are taller, then you gain that little extra that you are looking for. Either that, or aftermarket.

PS. Someone correct me if I am wrong, I think you could just change the springs on PASM without changing shocks, correct?
That would be great if it works. Will that give me a 20mm lift which is roughly 3/4"?
Old 05-31-2012, 06:05 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

That would be great if it works. Will that give me a 20mm lift which is roughly 3/4"?
I am 90% sure it works.

Quick Reply: Options to RAISE 997.1 4S