Sponsored by:

Rev range in the Turbo versus Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 03:20 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Rev range in the Turbo versus Carrera S

I just drove a 997.2 Turbo S with PDK. The first thing I noticed is that it redlines around 6600 rpm. This was new to me because my Carrera S limits at 7200.

It was an awesome drive but I quickly found out that I prefer higher-revving normally aspirated engines. They are simply more fun to drive onpublic roads.
Also MT Porsches are much more fun to drive on public roads than the PDKs. That made me change my pending 991 order from PDK to 7MT!

Can someone explain why the Turbo engines rev lower than the same generaton normally aspirated engines?
Old 05-27-2012, 05:27 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,007 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by surathdp
I just drove a 997.2 Turbo S with PDK. The first thing I noticed is that it redlines around 6600 rpm. This was new to me because my Carrera S limits at 7200.

It was an awesome drive but I quickly found out that I prefer higher-revving normally aspirated engines. They are simply more fun to drive onpublic roads.
Also MT Porsches are much more fun to drive on public roads than the PDKs. That made me change my pending 991 order from PDK to 7MT!

Can someone explain why the Turbo engines rev lower than the same generaton normally aspirated engines
?
The turbo has a different engine block altogether. In other words, it's not a regular 997 engine with two turbos.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:59 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The MT is more fun in ordinary driving, but too often on a spirited drive I wish that I just had the PDK. I've lost the old school part of me when it comes to this. I'd rather just have the quicker shifts and not have to fuss with heel-toe.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to say it but I would have to opt for the PDK with the Turbo model. Since once I get one it will be my daily and Driving in and around L.A. and Southern California can be like sitting in a parking lot. I absolutely hate Manuals in heavy bumper to bumper traffic.

But, if I ever fancy to get a track car of some sort, well of course it will be a manual!

Not to change up the subject too much but I'm rather anticipating when Porsche finally comes out with the Supposed PDKS for the GT3s.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:08 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by surathdp

Can someone explain why the Turbo engines rev lower than the same generaton normally aspirated engines?
because it doesn't need to rev higher to make the power that porsche thought was appropriate?
Old 05-28-2012, 01:43 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
The turbo has a different engine block altogether. In other words, it's not a regular 997 engine with two turbos.
Wrong, the Turbo S he drove is the new 9A1 engine block, DFI and so forth in the 997.2 2009+ cars. You might be thinking of the 997.1 Turbo.

Last edited by mdrums; 05-28-2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: added info

Quick Reply: Rev range in the Turbo versus Carrera S