Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solution for peeling fan/temp switches!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:06 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Solution for peeling fan/temp switches!

I, like many others, bought a 997.1 that has peeling fan/temp switches. I found this DYI on planet-9 for removing the switches and decided to give it a go. However, rather than refinishing them myself, I sent them off to Robbie at www.stickynomore.com after reading about his site on another thread here. All-in-all, well worth the effort. Robbie did a great job and had a really fast turn-around; he got them on Tuesday and I had them back today (Thursday)! Here's a little before and after:

I added my notes to the planet-9 thread from my experiences with the removal. There were a few things that the OP didn't mention but overall the write-up was great. I'd also add that you can pop the switches back in without having to remove the entire unit again!

Share and enjoy!

Jason

PS - Cost to refinish the switches was $80.
PPS - I also changed out the PCM ***** as they too were in rough shape. $30 from Suncoast: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...M9971KNOB.html

Last edited by jfoxny; 05-24-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:57 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the new markings for the TEMP and FAN stickers? Or was it masked off and painted, and those are the masking marks?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:04 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Originally Posted by IslandS52
Are the new markings for the TEMP and FAN stickers? Or was it masked off and painted, and those are the masking marks?
They are decals. So, yes, that's my only question mark on the whole process: how durable will they be over time?

My thinking is that for $80 and a tiny bit of elbow grease, if it works, great, if not, I have the option of paying $550 for a new unit from Suncoast: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...997ELECTRONICS Either way, I couldn't live with the peeling switches. This seems to be the best solution out there short of replacing the unit as you cannot order just the switches.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:20 PM
cibergypsy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of doing the same and send them to stickynomore but, if what they do is refinish them and put stickers, I may refinish them myself and not put any stickers at all. It would be easy for me to know which is which, as the Temp button is on the side that reads the temperature at which the unit is set, and the right side button would be for the fan speed. JMHO.

Robbie had quoted me $80 to refinish if I disassemble the unit myself and send the buttons only or $140 if I send the entire panel, as they would disassemble and reassemble it themselves for that price. Not sure which way I'll go yet, though. If I get paranoid about messing the unit up, it might get sent to him after all. It's not a bad price and I dislike spending $550 on a new unit that is, otherwise, in perfect working order.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:58 PM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Those stickers look terrible! With some time and attention to detail you could cut a template out of thin plastic or foam like a milk bottle or the craft foam sheets that kids play with. Then do a couple of light coats of white spray paint. If you screw up too bad, just repaint the switch again.

You could even customize the template, like "ejector" and "rockets. Whatever your pleasure.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:29 PM
duke92
Advanced

Fan sticker isn't even aligned properly.

My 08 997.1 buttons still look new but every time I adjust one of the controls I think about images of thrashed buttons like the ones pictured above. I wonder if there is anything we should do to prevent such wear. Wonder if cleaning solvent softened the coating???
Old 05-25-2012, 12:06 AM
jfoxny
Instructor

Originally Posted by fnckr
Those stickers look terrible!
Yes, close-up, you can tell that they are stickers, however, your nose will never be that close to the switches!
Old 05-25-2012, 12:08 AM
jfoxny
Instructor

Originally Posted by duke92
Fan sticker isn't even aligned properly.
Alignment of the sticker is a tiny bit off, but, as I said in my previous reply, it's only noticeable at 10x zoom. Under normal circumstances, you'd never know the difference. Also, I took a closer look at my other switches and the icons are not even aligned properly on all of the factory switches!
Old 05-25-2012, 12:13 AM
jfoxny
Instructor

Originally Posted by cibergypsy
If I get paranoid about messing the unit up, it might get sent to him after all.
It's not hard to remove plus I THINK if you start the car with the unit removed it will throw a fault. So, all things considered, I decided to just go ahead and remove it. Just remember to check and see what the temp setting is before you remove the switches or you could for a very hot or cold ride until you get your switches back!
Old 05-25-2012, 12:30 AM
jfoxny
Instructor

Originally Posted by duke92
I wonder if there is anything we should do to prevent such wear. Wonder if cleaning solvent softened the coating???
I've often read in the forums that sun screen and hand lotion causes the break-down. However, from what I've seen, they all eventually break down and start to peel. So, maybe it's just the oils in our skin. Ultimately probably depends on how often you use it.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:30 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

jfoxny,

Big improvement in your switches. Thanks for sharing the links.

I am glad that my 2010 C2S TEMP/FAN switches are not "rubberized" like the 997.1 switches. The only "rubberized" switches/buttons/***** I have in my car are the two radio *****, which can be purchased for $30 at Suncoast Porsche.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:20 PM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
jfoxny,The only "rubberized" switches/buttons/***** I have in my car are the two radio *****, which can be purchased for $30 at Suncoast Porsche.
Under the rubberized radio ***** it is hard black plastic. I took my 2 rubberized radio ***** & put them in hot water w/ dish soap. After about 15 minutes of soaking 90% of the rubber gunk came off. I finished it up w/ rubbing alcohol & a micro-fiber cloth. Too bad the other switches weren't made with black plastic.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:19 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoxny
I've often read in the forums that sun screen and hand lotion causes the break-down. However, from what I've seen, they all eventually break down and start to peel. So, maybe it's just the oils in our skin. Ultimately probably depends on how often you use it.
I don't use any any sun screen nor hand lotion and my radio ***** got all gunked up after a year+ of ownership. Car was 3.5 yrs old when I replaced them. I think it's just time, sunlight, and/or if you happen to look at them once too often. Radio ***** are an easy replacement. Climate controls not so much it appears. Kudo's to jfox for sharing insight re the climate control fix.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Slamuth
Racer

If Stickynomore would just find a way to create a template for the temp and fan icon, that solution would be golden. As it is, I've been aware of that option for awhile and was turned off by the sticker/decal. With that in mind, I had a go at it myself and chose to carefully mask off the temp and fan icon while repainting the rest with Rustoleum Flat Black (fine textured). This brand and color combo is a great OEM match, and came about after extensive "field testing." That translates to me testing several black paint colors and textures on a piece of plastic I brought into multiple stores.

I made a post about this a few weeks ago, and tried to include a "after" pic, but I can't get my digital camera to take a decent shot. Perhaps I'll try again over the long weekend.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

You will know those are stickers when they start to shred and peel in a couple weeks.

I think no markings would be better than that, although I like fnckr's idea. Maybe have "Passenger Eject" on the right side one.

Quick Reply: Solution for peeling fan/temp switches!