Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocross

Old 05-24-2012, 12:11 AM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Autocross

What do you folks think of Autocross? Yes? No? Risks? Preparations? Pray tell!
Old 05-24-2012, 12:23 AM
pilfjd
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always wanted to try it. Go for it and let us know how it is. :-)
Old 05-24-2012, 12:57 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

I've done it a few times and just signed up for a local PCA autocross school even next month.

It's fun. A quick 45 second adrenalin rush. Learn car control at low speeds in a safe place.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:05 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Absolutely, yes! Risk is low, fun factor is high, great way to learn about and excercise car control. Can be as easy going or as competitive as you want. Autoxers run the gamut from folks who show up in completely stock cars on street tires to those with all out racers that are trailered in. As a first timer, a car in good mechanical condition, a couple of extra pounds of air in your tires, and a helmet (loaners are usually available) are all you will need. Instructors are there to ride along and give tips. Check the web site of your local PCA chapter for additional information . All of the regions in the Bay Area do autocross; Redwood Region, where I am, has a particularly nice site at the Sonoma County Airport. If you own a Porsche, or are a PCA member, you're welcome. Do it!
Old 05-24-2012, 05:01 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Absolutely, yes! Risk is low, fun factor is high, great way to learn about and excercise car control. Can be as easy going or as competitive as you want. Autoxers run the gamut from folks who show up in completely stock cars on street tires to those with all out racers that are trailered in. As a first timer, a car in good mechanical condition, a couple of extra pounds of air in your tires, and a helmet (loaners are usually available) are all you will need. Instructors are there to ride along and give tips. Check the web site of your local PCA chapter for additional information . All of the regions in the Bay Area do autocross; Redwood Region, where I am, has a particularly nice site at the Sonoma County Airport. If you own a Porsche, or are a PCA member, you're welcome. Do it!
+1 Great advice here IMHO.

I do AX to learn car control, not to bring home a trophy. I use the event to push the car hard under controlled(and legal) conditions. I intentionally get the car to understeer/oversteer to practice correcting/handling those situations. For me, it's all about practicing car control. I couldn't care less about my times(although it does sometimes hurt placing at the lower end of the field LOL).

Give it a try. If you don't like it, so be it, then you'll know and your car will be no worse for the "little" wear. But do beware, you may very well become addicted!!!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:14 AM
GolfTango3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Autocross is fun until you start doing DE events.

After that, you realize that it's standing around in a hot parking lot all day to drive your car fast for 3 minutes.

Last edited by GolfTango3; 05-24-2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

autox is low low risk and i agree, pretty fun...

Originally Posted by bobbybailey
...until you start doing DE events.
autox is like boxing, but DE is like ballet - smoother, more controlled, and def more fun.

no matter which you decide to try, be careful...it's a slippery slope. you've been warned.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:17 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

AX and DE do not exclude each other. Top AX dogs in SCCA are all racers. It is fun and much more mental than a DE at advanced stages.
Try it and see if you get hooked. Both DE an AX require a lot of free time from you to spend, that is true. None are very family friendly. It is a biggest issue for me.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Autocross is fun until you start doing DE events.

After that, you realize that it's standing around in a hot parking lot all day to drive your car fast for 3 minutes.
+1, exactly my thoughts.

Spend all day standing around. Actual driving time is less than 7 minutes if you're lucky. Done it once and never again.

Track days only for me.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by utkinpol
AX and DE do not exclude each other. Top AX dogs in SCCA are all racers. It is fun and much more mental than a DE at advanced stages.
Try it and see if you get hooked. Both DE an AX require a lot of free time from you to spend, that is true. None are very family friendly. It is a biggest issue for me.
Very true.

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
+1, exactly my thoughts.

Spend all day standing around. Actual driving time is less than 7 minutes if you're lucky. Done it once and never again.

Track days only for me.
As utkinpol says, the two are not mutally exclusive. I may be jumping to conclusions but it sounded like the OP had little track experience of any kind. Autox is a low risk, low cost excercise, (at the start at least) and can give someone valuable experience as well as a taste of whether they want to move on and include other track type events.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:21 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Big difference between track vs. AX events. Other than tires and ego AX is relatively safe and inexpensive. Being beaten badly by a 914 or Boxster is unsettling but they're in the 'family' so kudos to them. Unless you're fortunate to live close by a track they take a bit of planning and time. On the other hand AX events are typically close by and don't need a lot of prep and equipment to compete.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:20 PM
GolfTango3
Racer

Originally Posted by AP997S
Being beaten badly by a 914 or Boxster is unsettling but they're in the 'family' so kudos to them.
You're also going to get beaten by a kid in a Civic.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:28 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You're also going to get beaten by a kid in a Civic.
Been there done that. I once saw a guy driving a old Ford Police Interceptor that was posting times close to hotshot AX cars. The way he 'manhandled' that beast was awesome.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:55 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Yes. There is an Autocross thread you should read.
Prep. None. You can borrow a helmet usually or go buy one. That is it at a minimum.
Recommendation:
Helmet and comfortable shoes. Pants usually required...check local rules.
Food and lots of water, a chair, a container to put stuff in. Sunblock if summer time. Hat and sunglasses. Video camera to impress your friends :-)
Torque Wrench w/socket for lug nuts, Pressure Gauge, Air Pump. << Can borrow these usually.

I have done them and they are a lot of fun. It's a good place to safely learn the limits of your car and what it feels like when you cross it. Also good to feel how the car behaves with and without PSM on.

I think it is also good prep before starting DE's - if you want to do those. I think your learning curve will be much better if you do. As some say - you may start to enjoy the 2 hours of driving on a track more enjoyable than 5 or 6 one minute runs (and working). They are very different from each other.

AutoX is easy to get to know people if you are new. DE's are a lot more spread out.
AutoX is low risk. DE's are higher risk (Normal insurance does not cover)
AutoX is competitive. DE's you compete w/yourself
AutoX is relatively slow. DE's can be very fast.
AutoX can be very cheap. DE's can be moderately to very expensive (depending on how hooked you get).
AutoX you work more than you drive. DE you only drive and baby your car.
AutoX is fun. DE is VERY fun.

Some people are happy to just do AutoX. They don't want to deal with the cost and prep involved in DE's.
Some people, like me, move on and start doing just DE's.
Some people will continue to do both.

I am not sure I will do many more AutoX because once the DE season starts, there is a LOT of track events between all the different clubs. The AutoX seems to fall on weekends immediately before or after an event and it is inconvenient.

I have plenty of videos of both: http://youtube.com/soaringpil8
Old 05-24-2012, 04:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by cannon1000
Yes. There is an Autocross thread you should read.
Prep. None. You can borrow a helmet usually or go buy one. That is it at a minimum.
Recommendation:
Helmet and comfortable shoes. Pants usually required...check local rules.
Food and lots of water, a chair, a container to put stuff in. Sunblock if summer time. Hat and sunglasses. Video camera to impress your friends :-)
Torque Wrench w/socket for lug nuts, Pressure Gauge, Air Pump. << Can borrow these usually.

I have done them and they are a lot of fun. It's a good place to safely learn the limits of your car and what it feels like when you cross it. Also good to feel how the car behaves with and without PSM on.

I think it is also good prep before starting DE's - if you want to do those. I think your learning curve will be much better if you do. As some say - you may start to enjoy the 2 hours of driving on a track more enjoyable than 5 or 6 one minute runs (and working). They are very different from each other.

AutoX is easy to get to know people if you are new. DE's are a lot more spread out.
AutoX is low risk. DE's are higher risk (Normal insurance does not cover)
AutoX is competitive. DE's you compete w/yourself
AutoX is relatively slow. DE's can be very fast.
AutoX can be very cheap. DE's can be moderately to very expensive (depending on how hooked you get).
AutoX you work more than you drive. DE you only drive and baby your car.
AutoX is fun. DE is VERY fun.

Some people are happy to just do AutoX. They don't want to deal with the cost and prep involved in DE's.
Some people, like me, move on and start doing just DE's.
Some people will continue to do both.

I am not sure I will do many more AutoX because once the DE season starts, there is a LOT of track events between all the different clubs. The AutoX seems to fall on weekends immediately before or after an event and it is inconvenient.

I have plenty of videos of both: http://youtube.com/soaringpil8
Good analysis. The point I think people should take away is that there's a lot more fun to be had driving your Porsche if you go somewhere and safely learn what it can really do....

Last edited by Mike in CA; 05-24-2012 at 05:43 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Autocross