Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocross

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 05:20 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 637 Posts

Absolutely a 'yes' on autoxing. I started with the BMW CCA and we had some very talented drivers. It's amazing what you can learn about car control running an autox course. You're always on a limit - acceleration, braking or cornering. You'll continue to get better and learn more and more for a long time. When you start prepping the car for the events, you're screwed. ;-) It's a slippery slope, just like track days and racing. I've autoxed with the BMW CCA, PCA, SCCA and more - always had a great time. The only option for learning more about car control is on a (wet) skid pad. Go, have fun and learn your car's limits.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:23 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

+++++++ to all that has been said. I can't disagree with any of it ... good and less good. I have been using AX more for car testing, same car just different setups. It is a relatively cheap way to test for DE or TT on the track. Although the speed difference can be a misleading factor sometimes. All in all, I enjoy it in smaller doses. Definitely give it a try.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:57 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Autocross is tremendous fun. The biggest difference between autocross and DE is that when you're on the track, you may be going fast, but you need to hold back that margin of safety because the consequence of driving past the limit on a track is so severe. Autocross, on the other hand, has very little penalty for crossing that limit; as most you blow a run and mow down a few cones. As a consequence, you absolutely need to drive as close to the limit as humanly possible to be competitive. As Mario Andretti said, "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Personally, I find this extremely fun, and was instantly hooked. Then I got my wife into it, and she was instantly hooked, too. I've done track events, I'm signed up for a time trial this weekend, but I keep going back to autocross because it's so damned fun! We drive our 986S in stock class; I run r-comps with one club, and street tires with another.

Risk: very very low for autocross. Damage can still happen, but it's very rare. Most autocross clubs use special soft rubber cones that give when you hit them. I've hit countless cones, and the cone marks have always buffed right now without so much as a scratch in the paint.

Prep: hardest part is cleaning loose stuff from your car. Take out the floor mats, add a little pressure to your tires, and you're ready to go! Most clubs have loaner helmets if you need. Loaner helmets are usually pretty clean since they're only worn a few minutes at a time, once a month, and replaced every 10 years. If you get more into it, you'll want to get better tires and a good alignment and potentially a new swaybar... or if you decide to step up to a higher class, the sky is the limit.

I recommend you look not just at PCA, but SCCA and other independent club autocrosses. Don't be intimidated, this is a novice-friendly sport. And don't feel self-conscious about driving a hot car and not breaking any club records; everyone was a novice once and we all know novices take a lot of time to really get competitive. One thing you will find in abundance is encouragement and helpful people!

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
+1, exactly my thoughts.

Spend all day standing around. Actual driving time is less than 7 minutes if you're lucky. Done it once and never again.

Track days only for me.
If you only did it once and thought of it as a miniature DE, you weren't doing it right. Yes, you're only driving 3-4 minutes, but it's an incredible adrenaline rush for that 3-4 minutes! Go back and push hard, hard, HARD! I think you'll find it's quite a bit more fun when you're screeching tires, and powersliding through hard corners
Old 05-24-2012, 09:12 PM
home7271
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

To me, AX is just too boring. This is not to discount the skills involved in doing AX well but track days are definitely a step up in terms of skills and car set-ups.

For all out fun with min. risk though, nothing beats Karting.

Cheers.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:22 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbybailey
You're also going to get beaten by a kid in a Civic.

+1
Old 05-24-2012, 11:58 PM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Autocross is extremely fun... And very safe...

I wouldn't be able to push my car this hard at a regular track... Imagine sliding and instead of hitting a couple of cones, hitting a tire wall or even worse concrete! LOL

Old 05-25-2012, 12:03 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I will only say about 'ax is slow, de is fast'

Fast drivers at AX are smooth and they go 10/10 traction. An amateur trying to do 10/10 on a track will risk to wreck his car. All advanced techniques are not safe. AX is like a back yard rally driving. DE in PCA world is all about sefety but as you progress you will see all advanced driving is risky.
So AX is usually safe and teaches you how to steer with throttle and brake with steering. Try it, it is a very interesting experience once you get into group within 2 second of best time of the day.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:06 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Those who say AX is boring did not get it yet. You start in AX, then do DE then you get back to AX as it is all the same.

AX is like a DE on unknown track with only 3 attempts to draw you line and get it right.
It takes a lot of practice and repetition to get a sense how to draw you path and it is very difficult.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:18 AM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

^ totally agree!

We actually have a great event with Metro NY at Pocono Raceway where we will have DE and Autocross at the same day! Simply hours of fun and fast driving!
Old 05-25-2012, 12:40 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Some great points being made. The best (fastest) AX drivers are absolutely at 10/10ths; maximum acceleration, braking, and cornering while still being as smooth as possible. Differences are often measured in 100ths or even 1000ths of a second. There is no holding back yet the risk is hugely less than driving all out in a DE. Even so, a beginner can fit right in and explore their car at their own pace as their presence on track does not interfere with anyone else. Not picking favorites; DE's are terrific, but autox gives you a chance to find the absolute limits of your car on every run.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:54 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
If you only did it once and thought of it as a miniature DE, you weren't doing it right. Yes, you're only driving 3-4 minutes, but it's an incredible adrenaline rush for that 3-4 minutes! Go back and push hard, hard, HARD! I think you'll find it's quite a bit more fun when you're screeching tires, and powersliding through hard corners
I hear you, and do not disagree with what everyone said about learning car control skills in a safe environment.

But I have a very hard time justifying taking a day off to drive for fun for only 7 to 8 minutes. The fun achieved in 8 minutes to me is not worth a whole day of standing around. I would rather be at home having s__ with my wife which will certainly last more than 8 minutes and I will have more fun, more adrenaline rush, push HARDER, and sweat more... , and then still have the rest of the day watching TV and Rennlist.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:24 AM
home7271
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Those who say AX is boring did not get it yet. You start in AX, then do DE then you get back to AX as it is all the same.

AX is like a DE on unknown track with only 3 attempts to draw you line and get it right.
It takes a lot of practice and repetition to get a sense how to draw you path and it is very difficult.
Hope I was not mis-understood. Never said AX is easy. It's just not as 'fun' as doing track days or taking out my go-kart.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:27 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I hear you, and do not disagree with what everyone said about learning car control skills in a safe environment.

But I have a very hard time justifying taking a day off to drive for fun for only 7 to 8 minutes. The fun achieved in 8 minutes to me is not worth a whole day of standing around. I would rather be at home having s__ with my wife which will certainly last more than 8 minutes and I will have more fun, more adrenaline rush, push HARDER, and sweat more... , and then still have the rest of the day watching TV and Rennlist.
I get your point, although at our last autox I got 8 morning and 8 afternoon runs, so total time on track was close to double what you are talking about. The time spent walking and learning the course, prepping the car, working corners, the grid, etc, and comparing times and chewing the fat with other drivers makes the day seem pretty complete. I used to drag race many, many years ago. Like autox, track time was out of all proportion to the amount of fun that it was. But TEHO.

BTW, you can have s__ with your wife and go on RL afterwards, and a day hanging out with other Porsche enthusiasts beats sitting around watching TV any time, all for a fraction of the cost of the average DE.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 05-25-2012 at 04:38 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:01 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I get your point, although at our last autox I got 8 morning and 8 afternoon runs, so total time on track was close to double what you are talking about. The time spent walking and learning the course, prepping the car, working corners, the grid, etc, and comparing times and chewing the fat with other drivers makes the day seem pretty complete. I used to drag race many, many years ago. Like autox, track time was out of all proportion to the amount of fun that it was. But TEHO.

BTW, you can have s__ with your wife and go on RL afterwards, and a day hanging out with other Porsche enthusiasts beats sitting around watching TV any time, all for a fraction of the cost of the average DE.
Very good point...I look at it this way also.

Even though actual driving time is short, I still feel that I'm learning while working the course and talking to other car/driving enthusiasts.

You'll learn car control watching others run the course. Simply by observing(while working the course), you'll learn what "to do" and what "not to do".
Old 05-25-2012, 05:08 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Braggart!!!

Quick Reply: Autocross