Sponsored by:

Fabspeed Carbon Intake overheating test

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 03:32 PM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fabspeed Carbon Intake overheating test

So this last weekend I took my 997.2 to Vegas with the wify for a getaway.
I have the CAI from Fabspeed which does not seal in the intake box/filters from engine heat.
We left early in the am from SB such that we had open roads basically the whole way there... and then we sat in traffic the whole way back.
Given that the temps for about 4 hours of the drive ranged from 95 to 117 F. Both scenarios gave us a great opportunity to overheat the car....with AC blasting the whole way, "high-speed" one way (thanks to the valentine one which performed flawlessly...it's easily worth thousands of dollars from the enjoyment of just this one drive) and idling along in traffic congestion on the trip home. The engine temp never moved from dead center then whole time.
Oil temp ranged from 200 to ~225(sideways to just slightly elevated). The oil temp was actually higher on the high speed run there versus the idling home.
Just thought I'd take a moment to share in case anyone had concerns about engine temps and an intake.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:29 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Do you have the 3rd radiator? I believe all PDK cars do. That may be why your oil temps are 200-225. I just installed a 3rd radiator on my 997.1S and seeing similar oil temps here in the TX heat. I believe, however, that hot ambient air getting into the CAI would just rob you of HP vs. increasing the oil temp.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

I don't think the concern with intakes like the Fabspeed is that the engine necessarily runs hotter. It's that instead of the cooler, denser air provided by the sealed intakes (which contains more oxygen and in turn makes more HP), you're getting hot, less dense, less oxygen rich underhood air.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:40 PM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

It's the mt..no 3rd radiator...I couldn't feel a loss of power if it happened...felt extremely strong (as usual)

Quick Reply: Fabspeed Carbon Intake overheating test