Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wings ?.... Post yours ! ..Need ideas ..

Old 09-05-2011, 01:02 PM
mzn50
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wings ?.... Post yours ! ..Need ideas ..

Looking to add a wing kit.. Aftermarket like Techart I for the 997..and such
Love to get some pics and feedback..

Improves handling ?... Or just looks.. I'm not gonna lie.. For me.. I think it's for looks

Matt
Old 09-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Many years ago I drove a simple 911S with no aero aids at all. The thing was highly unstable at speeds above 120 mph on the autobahn. In fact, it was fairly dangerous. Then I purchased a 911SC with turbo motor and the early whale tail. That was the base design--making that car stick to the road incredibly well. Yes, the rear aero aids make a significant difference. The stock ones on the 997 are quite adequate, because on the autobahns they truly work well, keeping that car stable well above 150 mph. (I know, I tested it extensively). But even Porsche appears to suggesting with their newest offering, the 991, that a wider tail in the rear will be more beneficial. Those cars will touch 190 mph. More tail is more effective. I can't personally vouch for anything by Techart because I have never driven with one, nor do I know about what wind tunnel testing they do (if any). Also be cautious about changing aerodynamic aids. They were tested extensively by the factory for your car, in all their testing scenarios. Can you expect a similar level of testing from others? Maybe so--in fact, ask to read their list of disclaimers before you buy. They will probably state something "not to be used on public roads" or something like that--wholly unrealistic. Are you really expected NOT to drive on the road with it installed? Ask and do your homework first. Find out what testing they did. Many of these things were developed for one reason--they look "cool." If you drive your car reasonably fast, the last thing you need to do is to compromise its handling performance where you need it the most.

Last edited by Edgy01; 09-05-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:14 PM
mzn50
Racer

Thanks Dan.. Makes sense.. Especially at high speeds..
Question.. The 997 has a built in wing as we all know .. Raises at approx 70km/h .. Adding 3rd party wings.. Is it standard with most wings that we disable the OEM wing system on the 997s ?
Old 09-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,239 Likes on 570 Posts

This a good question. Form vs. function, right? The fact is that all cars when they reach certain speeds will take on a wing-like phenomena and start to "lift". The tail that lifts on the 997 is designed to "spoil" this lift by disrupting the laminar air flow along the top of the car and keep the car planted on. The road. However, in my experience, the spoiler in the 997 is not adequate to properly do this at high speeds. I have driven my 997.1 C2S fast enough to experience almost a "floating" sensation. Perhaps the C4S with the extra weight in the front would be different.
I've looked at various wings and I think the thing to do is to stick with a reputable like Tech Art but also look at replacing the front bumper as well. They work together.
I know that Suncoast has a great selection as well.
I personally like the Cup look for a wing such as the Vorsteiner. It may be ok by itself or need a front bumper as well.
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...e=997s_aerokit

Let us know wheat you find in your search!

Joel
Old 09-05-2011, 05:03 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

areo kit cup from the factory
Old 09-05-2011, 07:56 PM
duke92
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Second factory aero kit but remember need front and rear for the reasons Dan outlined.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:40 PM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 188 Posts

If you add the Techart spoiler Type 1 or GT3Tek spoiler, you don't need to disable the OEM wing. Any other fixed wings, you will need to disable the lift mechanism.

Originally Posted by mzn50
Thanks Dan.. Makes sense.. Especially at high speeds..
Question.. The 997 has a built in wing as we all know .. Raises at approx 70km/h .. Adding 3rd party wings.. Is it standard with most wings that we disable the OEM wing system on the 997s ?
Old 09-06-2011, 09:22 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default wings

I went with 997TT wing, with your car I think a Duck would look great....in fact thinking of going that path as well. Here is mine... as far as Edgy01 comment, great info if you travel daily at 120mph (live overseas...) or a track junkie otherwise think its way to cautious to actually worry about it one bit... good luck, car looks great.
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2011, 02:09 PM
cuttinsod
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Wings vs. Spoilers....different tools...misapplied or unbalanced, wings can be more of a detriment

Wikipedia has a pretty good write up of both...

A spoiler is an automotive aerodynamic device whose intended design function is to 'spoil' unfavorable air movement across a body of a vehicle in motion. Spoilers on the front of a vehicle are often called air dams, because in addition to directing air flow they also reduce the amount of air flowing underneath the vehicle which reduces aerodynamic lift. Spoilers are often fitted to race and high-performance sports cars, although they have become common on passenger vehicles as well. Some spoilers are added to cars primarily for styling purposes and have either little aerodynamic benefit or even make the aerodynamics worse.

A wing in this context is an aerodynamic device intended to generate downforce on an automobile. The angle of attack of the wing on some cars can be adjusted to increase downward force over the rear wheels, but drag is also increased. The simulation and testing of wings can be very expensive.

Spoilers are often confused with wings, and the terms are frequently (yet incorrectly) used interchangeably. Spoilers increase grip by reducing the lift created by a car's shape, and also reduce drag by eliminating the induced drag associated with that lift. Wings increase grip by producing downforce, at the expense of additional induced drag. Although identical in form to the wing of an aircraft, wings used in automotive applications are usually inverted (oriented upside-down) and sometimes reversed (oriented backwards) by comparison.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:41 PM
mzn50
Racer

good data and input ..
FYI.. GT3Tek spoiler is not avail for my model..
so I give.. what a duck ?

thanks again
Matt
Old 09-06-2011, 05:12 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

ducktail spoiler - a la getty design

http://www.gettydesign.com/997_wings.html#ducktailsport
Old 09-06-2011, 05:42 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
ducktail spoiler - a la getty design

http://www.gettydesign.com/997_wings.html#ducktailsport
+1. This will look awesome on your car.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:13 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default yup

yup that's the style, Duck.....
Old 09-06-2011, 08:15 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
areo kit cup from the factory
+1, or the ducktail...
Old 09-07-2011, 01:35 AM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a bigger pic of my avatar, I have the Vorsteiner GT3RS lookalike wing. I've done about 120+ on an open stretch of the highway, not intentional, I stepped on it looked down and pass 120mph plus, let off, when I noticed how fast I was going. It was incredibily stable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wings ?.... Post yours ! ..Need ideas ..