Sponsored by:

"Smart Pricing" at Dealers

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 10:39 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by A4EP
I was just wondering if anyone has had experience negotiating with dealers who claim outright that they "Smart Price" their cars and they refuse to negotiate at all on the price of the car?

I just had an experience with this and even though the car has been on the lot for 90 days and is priced about 5% too high they have refused to budge even a bit off the price of the car.

The market is not that strong yet for such a firm position, especially seeing that 5% is not excessive to make a sale.

Any advice or should I just avoid dealers like this because it is a waste of my time.
most idiotic response i got was from local herb chambers porsche in burlington, ma - 'we have all prices set in our computer system and cannot change anything nor negotiate, as month ends it automatically will be reduced a bit'. after they had a car i liked for $52K and refused to go with $48K offer.
they had that same car for months after that. idiots.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:33 AM
A4EP
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
most idiotic response i got was from local herb chambers porsche in burlington, ma - 'we have all prices set in our computer system and cannot change anything nor negotiate, as month ends it automatically will be reduced a bit'. after they had a car i liked for $52K and refused to go with $48K offer.
they had that same car for months after that. idiots.
Thats one of the dealers I have struggled with, and the only one I will not go back and speak to again. I received such horrible generic responses from them such as "I am a firm believer that each vehicle has their specific owner..." and "...our Pre-Owned vehicles are hassle-free, haggle-free Smart Priced."

Is the price "smart" if you have had it listed for over 90 days? Are they in the business of having a car storage lot or selling cars?

My experience with this dealer is what prompted me to start this thread because there are 2 other cars at different dealers I am considering but each has a wonderful sheet of paper that says "Smart Pricing, Haggle Free" included in the photos of the car.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:40 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

it`s a big country and there is no shortage of good p-cars here, so, it just takes time to find one.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:56 PM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

The dealers in New England know that the used car offerings are pretty small in this area and there are not many dealers to choose from, many people that are looking for a 911 are cash rich and time poor, so a "no haggle" price is attactive to them. The dealer is playing a specific tactic for this area and his market base. That wont fly in areas like California, where there are piles of 911s and dealers, but probably works ok in New England.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:34 PM
Powerguy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is prime time for selling a P-car and as such the market prices are higher. Maybe you should have sterted your search during the winter. In the fall and winter the prices are softer and dealers are willng to negotiate more.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:42 PM
DLennox
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is a true "One Price" dealership, they cannot negotiate the price. There are several fixed priced dealers around the country. It is illegal to negotiate the sale price at an operation that advertises fixed, no haggle, one price or set pricing. The only thing that is negotiable at such store is a trade value and financing options.

Quick Reply: "Smart Pricing" at Dealers