Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPU "Not Ready" for inspection!

Old 05-16-2012, 01:23 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Angry CPU "Not Ready" for inspection!

I've been to the dam shop twice to get the car inspected and both times it failed due to the cpu being not ready. This has happened once before due to the battery cable coming up when removing the trickle charger, but never twice. Since the battery cable came off, I drove it about 350 miles. The only mod change I did was install the Fabspeed CAI and unplug the cable that allows the PSE for stay on all the time. Any ideas ot tips on how to get this dam thing ready before I try inspection again?? FYI, NY only uses a cpu plug in option, the "sniffer" in the exhaust pipe method was eliminated 2 years ago.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:28 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

best thing - softronic recent ECU flash that ignores O2 sensors and gets into 'ready' state in 15ms.

i had similar problem last year and got new version to flash, no issues since.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:46 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by utkinpol
best thing - softronic recent ECU flash that ignores O2 sensors and gets into 'ready' state in 15ms.

i had similar problem last year and got new version to flash, no issues since.
Where was it flased, can the dealership simply take care of it themselves? Still under warranty
Old 05-16-2012, 07:59 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Flashing ecu may have warranty implications
Old 05-16-2012, 11:25 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More likely the dealer will rewrite it and you're out the bucks. Revo flash has given no problem w inspections.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:58 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

ok, I will try once more at my local mechanic and then it's 3 strikes and im out to dealership!
Old 05-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
I've been to the dam shop twice to get the car inspected and both times it failed due to the cpu being not ready. This has happened once before due to the battery cable coming up when removing the trickle charger, but never twice. Since the battery cable came off, I drove it about 350 miles. The only mod change I did was install the Fabspeed CAI and unplug the cable that allows the PSE for stay on all the time. Any ideas ot tips on how to get this dam thing ready before I try inspection again?? FYI, NY only uses a cpu plug in option, the "sniffer" in the exhaust pipe method was eliminated 2 years ago.
It would be interesting to know what readiness monitors were not set to complete.

You can buy an inexpensive OBD2 code reader that can read this info. Or the test shop can provide you with this info.

I'm generally very leery of any CAI modification. The stock air intake system picks up air from the cleanest/coolest place. I see no way to improve upon this unless one wants to mount some kind of engine air intake scoop on the roof of the car.

What can in fact happen is with the modified air intake system intake air is actually picked up from a hotter place and this can affect the DME's ability to properly fuel the engine.

Or this intake system mod might result in more air turbulence of the air flowing past the MAF (or in the newer cars affect the air pressure in the intake system -- newer cars use an intake system located air pressure sensor (along with other sensor inputs) to measure the amount of air the engine is being fed to ensure proper fueling) which can account for odd behavior, like for instance delaying the completion of the readiness monitors when the car is driven.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:18 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

Macster, Thanks for the explanation on CAIs
Old 05-18-2012, 06:50 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macster
It would be interesting to know what readiness monitors were not set to complete.

You can buy an inexpensive OBD2 code reader that can read this info. Or the test shop can provide you with this info.

I'm generally very leery of any CAI modification. The stock air intake system picks up air from the cleanest/coolest place. I see no way to improve upon this unless one wants to mount some kind of engine air intake scoop on the roof of the car.

What can in fact happen is with the modified air intake system intake air is actually picked up from a hotter place and this can affect the DME's ability to properly fuel the engine.

Or this intake system mod might result in more air turbulence of the air flowing past the MAF (or in the newer cars affect the air pressure in the intake system -- newer cars use an intake system located air pressure sensor (along with other sensor inputs) to measure the amount of air the engine is being fed to ensure proper fueling) which can account for odd behavior, like for instance delaying the completion of the readiness monitors when the car is driven.

Sincerely,

Macster.
This is not the first time it's happened, it just never took this long to be ready. Last year when it passed and was ready the second time, I did not have the CAI installed. Below is the readout
Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2012, 07:25 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I am having the same problems in my 05 997S. Battery ran down to nothing, and after ~150 miles of driving (lots of short as well as 20 mile trips), I am still getting the not ready on the cats and two others (don't remember which). Dealer said they might be able to force them to ready so will take it to them.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by jcnesq
I am having the same problems in my 05 997S. Battery ran down to nothing, and after ~150 miles of driving (lots of short as well as 20 mile trips), I am still getting the not ready on the cats and two others (don't remember which). Dealer said they might be able to force them to ready so will take it to them.
Based on my experience, 20 miles is not sufficient.

The tech will probably drive -- or run it on rollers in the emissions bay -- the car adhering very closely to the drive cycle which is geared towards subjecting the engine to the various scenarios the DME wants to see in order to complete its readiness tests in the shortest amount of time.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Macster
Race Director

My take away based on what you posted -- if I read it right and if I'm not I'm sorry for the waste of time -- is the car's emissions 'performance' is worse with the CAI.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:25 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by jcnesq
Any updates?? Mine failed again for the 3rd time at the shop. Then I decided to plug back in the solenoid that control the PSE, becasue it was the only irregualr thing other than removing the CAI, which I can't imagine being the issue. I only got to drive it 20 miles before testing again, which then failed for the 4th time. Each time it's the same readout as I posted above. I am due for my 3rd annual @ the dealership, so I am going to turn it over to them to resolve.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster

Sincerely,

Macster.
Not really. The DME is plenty able to affect "fueling" based on air intake temps.

The cai can cause turbulence, which can affect MAF resolution by placing bends right in front of the maf.

That won't, however, cause a delay in achieving monitor readiness.

OP, this should not be difficult.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...est-drive.html

try the steps illustrated in the above link.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Not really. The DME is plenty able to affect "fueling" based on air intake temps.

The cai can cause turbulence, which can affect MAF resolution by placing bends right in front of the maf.

That won't, however, cause a delay in achieving monitor readiness.

OP, this should not be difficult.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...est-drive.html

try the steps illustrated in the above link.
With a poor CAI system that pulls in hot air rather than cool air the intake air temp varies quite a bit as the car is driven. At a stop the intake air temp rises then as the car moves off and is driven the intake air temp drops. But under some driving conditions about the time the temp drops the car is brought to a stop again and the intake temp rises. This can and does affect the DME's fueling of the engine for the air temp is taken into account in determining how much air is being used by the engine and therefore how much fuel to inject. It also can cause the DME to take more time to complete all readiness monitor testing.

Or to express this in another way: The monitors are designed/intended to run only under conditions specifically defined by Porsche. These conditions are known as the enabling criteria. The conditions that must be present for each monitor to run are specific to each test.

Porsche I'm sure designed/implemented these tests using the stock air intake system and the affects it had on intake air temp from that of ambient air temp. Aftermarket CAI systems with a different affect on intake air temp may delay or even prevent the tests from completing.

The OP can use the info at the link you provided to as best he can follow a drive cycle that should have the readiness monitors set to complete in a reasonable amount of time. If they do not get set to complete then there's something going on and my suspicion would be directed to the CAI.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CPU "Not Ready" for inspection!