Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know how to reliably trigger PSM?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 11:58 AM
jfoxny
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone know how to reliably trigger PSM?

I have a problem with my 06 997.1. The PSM control module is faulty. When PSM is activated, by hitting a large bump at speed for example, the car throws a fault. However, when you restart the car, the fault clears. I was able to reproduce the fault and have the dealership scan it while the car was running and they clearly saw that the PSM control module was bad. I have a Platinum (the best - $4000k) Fidelity warranty on the car so I figured, no sweat, they'll cover it for sure. Turns out nothing is ever that simple.

The warranty company will not cover the claim unless THEY can reproduce it. They drove the car for seven miles but the fault did not show up - probably because they were driving on smooth roads. I can reliably get the fault to throw on my drive to work everyday since the road is bad. It seems that the fault only throws when PSM is activated. So now I have to figure out how to reproduce the problem reliably, tell a tech (because they won't test drive it with me - only with a tech) and hope the tech can reproduce the issue with the adjuster in the car.

Does anyone know how to reliably activate PSM so these dopes can see the fault in action? Are there any tricks?

There is a set of railroad tracks near the dealership and I'm thinking if you hit those at speed it should trigger PSM. Going to try that today after I pick-up the car.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 05-16-2012, 12:04 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A stop hard enough to trigger ABS should do it.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:12 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about taking a bucket with you, filling it with water and pouring it in front of each rear wheel then try and accelerate hard. Hopefully that will trigger the traction control. If that doesn't work use the same bucket to throw water over the warranty rep.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:18 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Disconnect the battery. It will then show a PSM fault. Normally, the fault clears within <1 mile. Maybe yours will hold/save the fault code??

If not, take the adjuster on a spirited drive, rainy day, a little throttle imput at apex on an off camber turn.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:19 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
A stop hard enough to trigger ABS should do it.
I'll give this a shot, thanks!
Old 05-16-2012, 01:19 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Originally Posted by FiatCoupe
How about taking a bucket with you, filling it with water and pouring it in front of each rear wheel then try and accelerate hard. Hopefully that will trigger the traction control. If that doesn't work use the same bucket to throw water over the warranty rep.
hahaha...
Old 05-16-2012, 01:20 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Disconnect the battery. It will then show a PSM fault. Normally, the fault clears within <1 mile. Maybe yours will hold/save the fault code??
The battery approach is an interesting idea. But would it throw the actual fault, i.e., Bad PSM Control Module, or some other fault?
Old 05-16-2012, 01:23 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When the battery is disconnected and reconnected, the fault shown will be "Steering angle sensor not calibrated" or something along those lines.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:31 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
When the battery is disconnected and reconnected, the fault shown will be "Steering angle sensor not calibrated" or something along those lines.
Yeah, I need it to throw the stupid PSM failure fault. I'll try the tracks and the hard stop and see if I can get it to trigger the fault. Ugh.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

put on jack stands (or even MORE dangerous - just jack rear end) and "drive" in 1st gear. PSM should kick in immediately since fronts arent moving. dont they have to turn off PSM because of this when doing dyno tests?
Old 05-16-2012, 04:57 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spiffyjiff
put on jack stands (or even MORE dangerous - just jack rear end) and "drive" in 1st gear. PSM should kick in immediately since fronts arent moving. dont they have to turn off PSM because of this when doing dyno tests?
Another interesting idea. Thanks.

I just got back from the dealer and have a bit more information about the fault. Here are the codes for the PSM Failure:

Code:
Control Unit, Priority, Fault memo, Status, Description
PSM, 1, C101, ACTIVE, Control unit faulty (No fault symptom available)
PSM, 1, C150, ACTIVE, Communication DME control unit (drive) (No fault symptom available)
PSM, 1, C153, ACTIVE, Communication steering wheel electronics unit (drive) (No fault symptom available)
SEAT MEMORY, 1, C152, ACTIVE, Communication PSM control unit (drive)
DRIVER'S DOOR, 1, C174, PASSIVE, Fault, convertible top control unit (comfort) (Signal implausible)
PASSENGER'S DOOR, 5, C174, PASSIVE, Fault, convertible top control unit (comfort) (Signal implausible)
The part that needs to be replaced is the AS ABS Hydraulic Unit Pump (997-355-955-06). Does this give anyone any ideas on how to reproduce?
Old 05-16-2012, 05:54 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Originally Posted by jfoxny
Does anyone know how to reliably activate PSM so these dopes can see the fault in action? Are there any tricks?
Acceleration on a gravel/sandy surface should trigger PSM, right?
Old 05-17-2012, 10:57 AM
jfoxny
Instructor

Originally Posted by jfoxny
Acceleration on a gravel/sandy surface should trigger PSM, right?
Fault happened today on start-up in the garage. So, I guess it's not just triggered when PSM is triggered. Odd.

Quick Reply: Anyone know how to reliably trigger PSM?