Sponsored by:

Shipping Referrals and associated Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 02:17 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 829 Likes on 458 Posts
Default Shipping Referrals and associated Questions

Okay I just got notification from my command/boss that I am being re-assigned to the Pacific NW in July and will be in Tacoma/Seattle area for the next 3-4 yrs. I just got back from a quick visit there to find a house and its a very pretty area. Found a local dealer close by at Porsche of Tacoma (Larsons Auto Porsche Group). Now my dilema is I need to ship 2 out of 4 vehicle up there and I've never done this before. So any guidance and referrals for folks who have previously used companies and tips would be helpful. I've asked my dealer and so far haven't gotten any solid company contacts/referrals back yet. How much can I expect to spend? Is it cheaper to drive them and fly back? I am in San Antonio, Texas so the whole trip is roughly 2000miles...so its a hike. Would make a great and scenic road trip I am sure but not sure its something to do with 2 cars.

Anyway appreciate your tips and thoughts and references for companies you've used. Have heard soo many horror stories about lost and damaged cars so I'd want some one good especially if I end up shipping my C4S or the wife's new Panamera or my A7. Thanks
Old 05-09-2012, 02:33 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I think you need to decide closed or open trailer first. The condition, value, etc. of the vehicles will (IMHO) dictate which method. I've used InterCity in the past and although they are not 'cheap' they offer great & reliable service. There are many carriers and I'm sure if you search the various forums (Rennlist, 6speed, etc) you'll find a ton of information and recommendations.

Good luck and enjoy the rain (lol)
Old 05-09-2012, 04:32 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AP997S
I think you need to decide closed or open trailer first. The condition, value, etc. of the vehicles will (IMHO) dictate which method. I've used InterCity in the past and although they are not 'cheap' they offer great & reliable service. There are many carriers and I'm sure if you search the various forums (Rennlist, 6speed, etc) you'll find a ton of information and recommendations.

Good luck and enjoy the rain (lol)
Thanks I have decided on using a covered carrier as I am likely shipping my 2009 C4S and 2012 A7 and don't want them just out in the open subject to damage and such. That said I don't want to have my shipment brokered out to some guy with questionable reliability or familiarity with these cars so also looking for those who've done it before and their past experiences.

Thanks for the info and yes I hear it rains a bit there..but coming from 2 yrs in Texas where it NEVER rains..having seasons again will be welcome!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:27 PM
fgv1it
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I used Intercity to ship a Porsche from Texas (Houston) to CA (Palm Springs) and they were great. If you are concerned about how your cars are treated, go with them.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:29 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fgv1it
I used Intercity to ship a Porsche from Texas (Houston) to CA (Palm Springs) and they were great. If you are concerned about how your cars are treated, go with them.
Unfortunately I contacted them and they do not have any routes that run to ship my Porsche from San Antonio, TX to Seattle/Tacoma, WA at this time and were thus unable to give me a quote. Tried Demoise Trucking also and was declined (no routes avail). Am depressed and somewhat surprised. Road trip x2? Not sure what other options exist but wil keep looking.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:31 AM
ran604
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my C4S shipped from Plano, TX to Blaine, WA (I'm from Vancouver, BC but met the driver). I too had issues finding a transport company to do that route or they wanted a premium. I went with the Porsche dealer reccomendation (which turned out brokered it out).
The guy who delivered it was great and there was a Cayenne on the truck from another Texas Porsche dealer as well. I believe I paid $1400 enclosed, but the broker paid less. I'll PM with the name and price the broker paid later this evening. Eliminating the middle man should save you a couple bucks.
I told them I only wanted the vehicle loaded and offloaded once. My car was top loaded on the nose of the trailer so 3 cars had to be offloaded to get mine off. I do have pictures of him offloading it and the truck used.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:37 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I HIGHLY recommend DeMoise Trucking, have used them and so have many Porsche friends. Super guys. Don't know if they can sevice WA but call and ask. www.demoise.com
Old 05-10-2012, 10:01 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 150 Likes on 123 Posts

I've shipped a few cars in my day, Unfortunately you cannot believe what you are told about "one loading and unloading"... so pick carefully.
I think the best wold be a closed transporter, and one of the really major companies...Passport?
Old 05-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

I am a VERY happy customer of Intercity Lines. Very meticulous and carefull with their process and screening your car. They even took note of very tiny bug stains on my side mirrors. Their trailers too where clean and they double blanket the car.

Link below is the pick up and delivery of my car photos/album.

http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/album745

Here's a couple of pix of thta day.
Attached Images    
Old 05-12-2012, 02:57 PM
drdrank
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used Intercity and have been happy.

Reliable, which I have not used, is big with the NY Autoshow too.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:19 AM
fgv1it
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Road Trip??

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Unfortunately I contacted them and they do not have any routes that run to ship my Porsche from San Antonio, TX to Seattle/Tacoma, WA at this time and were thus unable to give me a quote. Tried Demoise Trucking also and was declined (no routes avail). Am depressed and somewhat surprised. Road trip x2? Not sure what other options exist but wil keep looking.
Sorry to hear about the route problems. If it becomes difficult to find a transport company, do not dismiss the idea of a road trip. A few months ago, we bought a new Boxster for my wife, and we found the car we wanted in Dallas, TX. We flew out there, and drove it back. Two days on the road.

A couple of years ago, when I retired, a friend and I drove two cars, a 997 and a Mercedes, from Houston to Palm Springs, and a couple of weeks later my wife and I made the trip again, this time in an SUV with two big dogs and three cats. Straight shot without an overnight stop, about 22 hours, taking turns with the driving.

All the trips were enjoyable adventures that we are glad we had, and that we will always remember fondly. Perhaps you can get together a friend or two that will help with the driving in return for a pane ticket back?

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Good luck and let us know
Old 05-13-2012, 10:09 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Give Intercity the order and they will get you on a truck. It may take a couple of weeks. I have shipped cars by InterCity to and from Little Rock and it just takes them a few days to get a load together.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:43 AM
drdrank
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing with intercity: I gave them my deadline like a few weeks out. At first they said it was unlikely to get a truck filled for the route. But they knew my deadline. A few days later they got back in touch and said they could pick it up in 2 days and get it to the destination in 4 (actually took 2). Great.

It's probably worth talking it a few guys and seeing who can accommodate you and maybe a truck opens up.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Pilot Transport, Horseless Carriage, De Moise and Intercity are typically at the top of their game. I would try all of them to find out which one carries cars to your destination. There are also several private haulers which do an excellent job and most have a trailer for two cars. Benefit with private is your car never comes out of the trailer and there's no stops in between. I may have the name of a private hauler if you're interested.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:13 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Stopped by my dealer and they gave me the names of a few transporters that they use for non-PCA of US shipments that are from other dealers and private sales and trades outside of factory shipped cars. Will give them a try. Other options still include A) road trip with a close friend or one of my brothers driving my A7 in chase. OR B) Have a Class 3 trailer hitch on my X635i installed (been meaning to do it for a while) and hauling my Carrera my self out there and just flying back to Tx out of SEATAC. X6/X5 is rated for 5000+ Lbs so I should be good. Tried Demoise too and no dice. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Shipping Referrals and associated Questions