clutch issue when cold

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 04:50 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts
Default clutch issue when cold

Anyone else with this?

When I start my car from cold after sitting a few days, it feels like the parking brake is engaged for a moment when I let out the clutch and then I hear a loud "bang." After this happens (only does it once) car shifts and drives fine... This doesn't happen each time I drive. Almost feels like a part freeing up or maybe something in the transmission not turning or meshing.

997 S w/ 32K miles on original clutch.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:04 PM
gla
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like what happens when you park the car with wet brakes. They rust together and there is a pop (you can really feel it) when it breaks loose. Mine does it all the time when I park it after washing. Scared me until I figured out what it was.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:14 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

gla- I think that is exactly what it was. I washed it last night and didn't drive it to dry the rotors. I've done that a few times being in a hurry.

Thanks- I would have never figured that would be the culprit! I agree it a fairly forceful pop and makes you nervous.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:09 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't use the parking brake. I don't understand why everyone has this so ingrained in them. If you have an auto, there is no way the car is going to move in park and if you have a stick, uinless you are parked on Lombard St in San Fran, leaving it in gear will hold the car.

Putting on the parking brake after a track session will guarantee that you weld the shoes to the drum and leaving the car stored for the winter with the PB on will guarantee the same thing.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:25 PM
sbpsu354
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the same issue when washing all of my cars, regardless of brand, if they're not driven shortly after washing. The rotors glaze over with rust and the pads get stuck on them.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:31 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You guys need PCCB's (carbon composite doesn't rust).

Simple upgrade for a measly $9K.

. . . . . .
Old 05-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by San Rensho
Don't use the parking brake. I don't understand why everyone has this so ingrained in them. If you have an auto, there is no way the car is going to move in park and if you have a stick, uinless you are parked on Lombard St in San Fran, leaving it in gear will hold the car.

Putting on the parking brake after a track session will guarantee that you weld the shoes to the drum and leaving the car stored for the winter with the PB on will guarantee the same thing.
Use the parking brake!

While I've never owned a Tip Porsche I owned a pick up truck with an auto and used to rely upon the transmission's PARK pawl to hold the transmission lever in PARK to prevent the vehicle from rolling but this wears over time and it can come free and if the vehicle is on a slope... I came out of a 7-11 store one morning after dashing in for a donut and coffee only to find my truck not where I left it. I looked up just in time to spot it slowly rolling across the parking lot. I had a heck of a time with the donut and coffee getting into the truck and putting on the brakes before the thing rolled out into the street. But I got the truck stopped in time and didn't drop the donut or spill any coffee.

As I was backing around to leave I spotted a cabby who had watched the whole thing and he was laughing like crazy.

I didn't learn my lesson though. I parked the truck at a tool supply store. A guy came in as I was at the counter and asked who owned the white truck? I did and went outside with him. The parking pawl had failed to hold again and my truck rolled back into his car. Lucky for me his car was a real beater and even though I admitted responsibility and offered to pay for any damages (although taking a dent out of that car would be like replacing a broken porthole glass in the Titanic) he declined.

But I had the truck in for a tranny repair very soon after that.

Use the parking brake with the Tip in PARK. Use it wit the manual transmission in gear. One of these days it will save you and the car when you forget to put the transmission in gear.

The real problem in the OP's case is he parked the car up with the brakes wet.

Never ever do this. As he found out the brakes can rust and surprisingly hold the car rather well.

The brakes will free up -- as the OP learned (and I as also learned some year back) with a scary pop -- but another risk is if the brakes are used hard and the car brought to a stop the hot brake hardware with the rust/dust can result in permanent uneven pads/rotor material deposition which will have the brakes pulsing after this when applied. This I also learned the hard way with another car.

Wash the car? Drive it aferwards enough to dry the brakes completely. Park the car? Use the parking brake.

Now I agree that if one is parking the car up for a while even though the brakes are dry, do not use the parking brake. Of course do block the tires so the vehicle can't move any forward or backwards.

At the track? I have no direct experience but if the brakes are hot enough the parking brakes weld/seize if used then I think one needs to consider more cool down laps. If the brakes are that hot God only knows how too hot everything else is.

If one still insists at not using the parking brake at the track at least carry and use tire blocks to prevent the car from moving just in case. Bad enough to have one's car hit another on the track. In the pits?...

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:01 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

+1 always use the parking brake. 20 yrs ago when my 4Runner was brand new some gal did not apply the parking brake in her brand new Honda Prelude in the parking lot. Her car rolled into my SUV. Back then the bumpers were steel on the 4Runners. Crunch... her front end collapsed under my bumper. Needless to say she was horrified but $5K in repair later she was back on the road after 3 wks. A little windex on the chrome bumper and I was back on the road. Valuable lesson for me as a young man and very costly for the offending young lady who parked her car under my 4Runner.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:16 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Use the parking brake!

While I've never owned a Tip Porsche I owned a pick up truck with an auto and used to rely upon the transmission's PARK pawl to hold the transmission lever in PARK to prevent the vehicle from rolling but this wears over time and it can come free and if the vehicle is on a slope... I came out of a 7-11 store one morning after dashing in for a donut and coffee only to find my truck not where I left it. I looked up just in time to spot it slowly rolling across the parking lot. I had a heck of a time with the donut and coffee getting into the truck and putting on the brakes before the thing rolled out into the street. But I got the truck stopped in time and didn't drop the donut or spill any coffee.

As I was backing around to leave I spotted a cabby who had watched the whole thing and he was laughing like crazy.

I didn't learn my lesson though. I parked the truck at a tool supply store. A guy came in as I was at the counter and asked who owned the white truck? I did and went outside with him. The parking pawl had failed to hold again and my truck rolled back into his car. Lucky for me his car was a real beater and even though I admitted responsibility and offered to pay for any damages (although taking a dent out of that car would be like replacing a broken porthole glass in the Titanic) he declined.

But I had the truck in for a tranny repair very soon after that.

Use the parking brake with the Tip in PARK. Use it wit the manual transmission in gear. One of these days it will save you and the car when you forget to put the transmission in gear.

The real problem in the OP's case is he parked the car up with the brakes wet.

Never ever do this. As he found out the brakes can rust and surprisingly hold the car rather well.

The brakes will free up -- as the OP learned (and I as also learned some year back) with a scary pop -- but another risk is if the brakes are used hard and the car brought to a stop the hot brake hardware with the rust/dust can result in permanent uneven pads/rotor material deposition which will have the brakes pulsing after this when applied. This I also learned the hard way with another car.

Wash the car? Drive it aferwards enough to dry the brakes completely. Park the car? Use the parking brake.

Now I agree that if one is parking the car up for a while even though the brakes are dry, do not use the parking brake. Of course do block the tires so the vehicle can't move any forward or backwards.

At the track? I have no direct experience but if the brakes are hot enough the parking brakes weld/seize if used then I think one needs to consider more cool down laps. If the brakes are that hot God only knows how too hot everything else is.

If one still insists at not using the parking brake at the track at least carry and use tire blocks to prevent the car from moving just in case. Bad enough to have one's car hit another on the track. In the pits?...

Sincerely,

Macster.
You had a malfunctioning auto transmission, if it had worked correctly, it would have held. First roll back, shame on the tranny, second roll back, shame on you.

On any mild slope, the P on an auto or 1st gear on a stick will hold the car. Whenever I park on a really steep slope, I always turn the wheels and curb the car so it can't roll back/forward, in gear, or even in neutral,without the PB on.

Quick Reply: clutch issue when cold