Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do some 997s feel notchy when shifting and some do not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012 | 09:55 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Default Why do some 997s feel notchy when shifting and some do not?

I test drove a few different 997.1s (08 C4, 07 C2S, 06 C2) before I bought my 06. One thing I noticed is that some of them had very notchy shift feel and some did not. None of them reportedly had the short shifter option. What would explain this difference?

My understanding from reading an earlier thead about transmissions is that they all have the same transmission or at least they are all manufactured by the same Japanese company.

Thanks
Jason
Old 05-08-2012 | 10:10 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

I find that my car 2007, 911 shifts a little harder with more friction when it is cold. Once the car is at operating temperature it shifts much more smoothly. Was the feeling consistent throughout the drive?
Old 05-08-2012 | 10:13 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Originally Posted by cpbmd
I find that my car 2007, 911 shifts a little harder with more friction when it is cold. Once the car is at operating temperature it shifts much more smoothly. Was the feeling consistent throughout the drive?
Yeah, the feeling was the same throughout the drives. The 08 was notchy but smooth. I know that sounds contradictory, so, let me try to explain. When you would shift, the throw would be smooth but then it would "notch" into place. Others did not, they felt a little more akin to my 05 987 Boxster, a bit, sloppier, if you will.

Jason
Old 05-08-2012 | 10:33 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

My '08 C2S feels a bit soft for my liking so I'm going to try the other extreme... a B&M SSK. Have the kit on hand. Just need a free weekend to install it now.
Old 05-08-2012 | 10:40 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
My '08 C2S feels a bit soft for my liking so I'm going to try the other extreme... a B&M SSK. Have the kit on hand. Just need a free weekend to install it now.
Humm... maybe it had an aftermarket short shifter installed. I liked the more precise shift feel better than my 06. Maybe I'll give the short shift a try. Any reason you went for the B&M vs. Porsche OEM?
Old 05-08-2012 | 11:09 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

My p-dealer SR whom I really trust(was a former p-car mech) recommended the B&M SSK. Said it was like a bolt action on a rifle. I bought it the next day from Eric at bumperplugs. BTW, some on the forum really like the Porsche kit and find the B&M a little too notchy. It likely has to do with personal preference. For me precise, crisp, and smooth would be ideal. The p-kit is a direct drop in and likely easier to install. The B&M kit requires more install interventions but is tunable. I figure a bit of tuning and possibly some smithing on my part will get it just right for my liking.
Old 05-08-2012 | 11:26 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Just got yhr OEM Portsche SS and it's wonderful....I can't believe what a difference it makes!!
Old 05-08-2012 | 11:42 PM
docfink
Pro

Love the SSK. It should be standard!
Old 05-09-2012 | 12:43 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
My p-dealer SR whom I really trust(was a former p-car mech) recommended the B&M SSK. Said it was like a bolt action on a rifle. I bought it the next day from Eric at bumperplugs. BTW, some on the forum really like the Porsche kit and find the B&M a little too notchy. It likely has to do with personal preference. For me precise, crisp, and smooth would be ideal. The p-kit is a direct drop in and likely easier to install. The B&M kit requires more install interventions but is tunable. I figure a bit of tuning and possibly some smithing on my part will get it just right for my liking.
Or maybe it has to do with the quality of the install. My dealer put my B&M kit in on my -06 and it was perfect. Shortened the throw by about 35% and you could shift gears with two fingertips. That's how smooth it was and that's why I never understood all the complaints about it. Practice makes perfect. The techs at Suncoast have done hundreds of these and know the finer points of how to do it right. Those who choose to do it themselves may have to deal with the usual learning curve to get the same result.
Old 05-09-2012 | 02:22 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Recently added the OE SSK....love it. Big diff from stock, however as reported is sometimes difficult to get into 1st/2nd when cold....I can get out of my condo....but if I hit the traffic light around the corner...it gets embarrassing...as if I don't know how to drive.
Old 05-09-2012 | 02:53 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

I am the proud owner of a notchy shifting 997. I have researched this extensively. It seems that the 997 is known as a sublime shifting machine to many, and then others have this notchy thing going on. No explanation. A little maddening. Have just had to get used to it.
Old 05-09-2012 | 03:44 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I believe it is a function of these things:

(1) Temperature
(2) Short shifter (or not)
(3) Experience with Porsches

I learned a long time ago never to force a Porsche's gears, and should it appear to be fighting you, simply slow down, and go to another gear first that is easier to engage, and then (foot still on the clutch) select the gear you ultimately wanted.

Many drivers have a tendency to drive these things like Chevys and the end result is chewing up synchros.
Old 05-09-2012 | 07:53 AM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

It's all in how you drive it. It requires shifting at certain speed and RPM. Also, the veloscity at which you get to certain gears. It's hard to explain, but those of you who have had multiple Porsches know what I'm talking about. It requires some effort to do it right, but I personally like the quest for the perfect shift. It requires envolvement on the driver. That is why I would never want a PDK car.
Old 05-09-2012 | 08:56 AM
buddy911t
Pro

My car has no troubles getting into any gear. It shifts smoothly, gliding into gear with a firm feel.
Old 05-09-2012 | 01:24 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Ordered the OEM short shifter kit from Suncoast. Going to have it put in next week. We'll see...

Quick Reply: Why do some 997s feel notchy when shifting and some do not?