Old 04-22-2012, 04:45 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 997 Extreme Handling - ADias

ADias, et. al.

I'd like to explore this post a bit further:

Originally Posted by ADias
The fun of driving a 911 (up to the 997) for me is the feel of the pants of that magical back kick/swing (under traction), at 6/10-7/10 under perfectly safe conditions on the right road. I suspect many Porsche drivers, even on his forum, never experience that. Either they drive very slow or too fast (tail out) and miss the sweet spot as they tend to be binary drivers and lack smoothness.
I've had my 997 for about 6 months now. Previous car have been less powerful ***-engined mobiles. I'd like to avoid the general 'track your car and you'll know' kind of response, but I'd like to get more info on this sweet spot.

I've heard the 'slow in fast' out mantra many a time. And I suppose it makes good sense, since I can get massive understeer if head into a corner too fast, and I can conversely get the car to oversteer like a dinner called dog on waxed floor if I give it too much throttle coming out.

I've also driven more neutral cars and quite enjoyed the 4 wheel slide type of response. But given that my current car is a 911 I'd like to know more about this magical spot and how to find it.

Last edited by mattyf; 04-22-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:54 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Matty. I'm no driving god but I live in mountain country so have plenty of empty twisting roads to practise on. The sensation you are looking for is one of the car being conveyed around the bend as if from behind by a massive claw. The key is to make smooth inputs of steering wheel and throttle.

Start by entering a bend at about 30 mph with no braking inputs and keep a steady throttle to get the feel of traction at the back pushing the car through the corner. Then steadily increase your approach speed applying increasing brake force before the bend as approach speed increases with each new attempt. Brake late and feather lightly off the brakes as you turn in to the corner, moving onto a moderate throttle before the apex and progressively increasing throttle out of the apex. Smooth inputs at all times.

These exercises will help you find the sweet spots of weight transfer to the front (trail braking) to dial out understeer and then back to the rear (by accelerating) to create traction at the driven wheels. Small changes can make a big difference so practice makes perfect. 30 years should do it...

HTH
Old 04-24-2012, 01:46 AM
mattyf
Pro

Thanks kindly for the reply. I'm familiar with trail braking, though not so great at it... yet.

So you think the "magical back kick/swing" that ADias was speaking of is what you refer to as the "massive claw" pushing from behind, others I've heard describe it a a gently hand pushing you. I believe I've felt that before, but I thought I was much closer to 8 or 9/10 eg the car's limit. But that's probably my novice/low-intermediate skills and just not knowing the cars limits that well. The car probably had plenty left to give at that point.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:56 AM
mattyf
Pro

PS the car is so magical, I really wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on any extra undiscovered magic.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:39 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
Hi Matty. I'm no driving god but I live in mountain country so have plenty of empty twisting roads to practise on. The sensation you are looking for is one of the car being conveyed around the bend as if from behind by a massive claw. The key is to make smooth inputs of steering wheel and throttle.

Start by entering a bend at about 30 mph with no braking inputs and keep a steady throttle to get the feel of traction at the back pushing the car through the corner. Then steadily increase your approach speed applying increasing brake force before the bend as approach speed increases with each new attempt. Brake late and feather lightly off the brakes as you turn in to the corner, moving onto a moderate throttle before the apex and progressively increasing throttle out of the apex. Smooth inputs at all times.

These exercises will help you find the sweet spots of weight transfer to the front (trail braking) to dial out understeer and then back to the rear (by accelerating) to create traction at the driven wheels. Small changes can make a big difference so practice makes perfect. 30 years should do it...

HTH
I could not have stated it any better. The pendulum effect is noticed right there in the transition from braking to acceleration, as the rear moves slightly outward within the tire-flex/suspension motion, and back in balance again, all without losing traction. Magical! But I suspect it is a characteristic lost on most drivers, as most drivers are not smooth and they only care for hammer-driven binary driving. It's there on the 997, virtually gone on the 991.

Last edited by ADias; 04-24-2012 at 03:56 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:47 AM
INCONEL
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're interested in finding the sweet spot on the perfect road one of these days, let me know. There are a couple of us that don't go a weekend without exploring the SoCal canyons.
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

That's the moment where he hair stands up on the back of my neck and the smile starts to hurt my face! It truly is amazing how much grip and acceleration these cars manage to accomplish.
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for the write-up. It's exactly what I need to learn/understand as I'm a 1 yr new 997 driver.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:07 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Great follow up posts. Long live these special people who enhance the value of this forum through such informative posts for people like us. I better do a Camp4 while the 997C4S is still featured in their stable of cars.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADias
I could not have stated it any better. The pendulum effect is noticed right there in the transition from braking to acceleration, as the rear moves slightly outward within the tire-flex/suspension motion, and back in balance again, all without losing traction. Magical! But I suspect it is a characteristic lost on most drivers, as most drivers are not smooth and they only care for hammer-driven binary driving. It's there on the 997, virtually gone on the 991.
Tony - That's kind of a broad brush to suggest everyone out there is ham-handed and/or lead-footed... I have definitely experienced this (sometimes with a little dap of oppo!) and it's a blast. It's part of the reason I bought another manual RWD 997 to replace my AWD PDK car.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:52 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Tony - That's kind of a broad brush to suggest everyone out there is ham-handed and/or lead-footed... I have definitely experienced this (sometimes with a little dap of oppo!) and it's a blast. It's part of the reason I bought another manual RWD 997 to replace my AWD PDK car.
Obviously you are not part of 'most drivers'. Besides I would expect most RL members to drive well. On any population there's a Bell curve.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

HTH
FWIW - change "moderate throttle" to just enough gas to maintain your speed - this is often called maintenance throttle - neither accelerating nor decelerating.

If you accelerate before the apex, a 911 will understeer because you're transferring grip to the rear which reduces the ability of the front tires to take you to the apex since they have less grip.

Best,
Old 04-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
FWIW - change "moderate throttle" to just enough gas to maintain your speed - this is often called maintenance throttle - neither accelerating nor decelerating.

If you accelerate before the apex, a 911 will understeer because you're transferring grip to the rear which reduces the ability of the front tires to take you to the apex since they have less grip.

Best,
Maintenance throttle it is. Couldn't have put it better. That certainly sums up what I meant to convey
Old 04-24-2012, 06:29 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Maintenance throttle it is. Couldn't have put it better. That certainly sums up what I meant to convey
Just enough throttle to keep the rear planted.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Neat thread.

Quick Reply: 997 Extreme Handling - ADias