997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK creeps at idle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I am still there so guess I better release my foot!
Old 10-12-2013, 10:02 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I mean it is an auto so of course with foot off brake it will move forward!
Old 10-13-2013, 10:52 AM
Jeffkilly
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Yesterday I bought my first Porsche, a 2009 C4S with PDK/Chrono. Aside from me asking her to marry me - This is one amazing car, correction, this is not a car, this is an amazing machine, a finely engineered work of art - I love it!!!

However, I did notice something that concerned me. In my driveway, which has a slight up-cline towards garage, I took my foot off the brake and the car started rolling back, not a little roll back until clutch engaged, but a lot. I gave a little gas and it still was rolling back. I thought I had hit the stick into neutral, which I didn't. It seemed as though the clutch would not engage unless I gave more gas. My immediate thought was I just lost my transmission or clutch. Is this normal. I ask in this thread, because this sounds like if these 997.2 PDK cars are designed to creep, then I have a problem. Want to make sure I don't have any major issues, while car is still under warranty for a few more months..

If I am hijacking this thread, let me know and I will start a new topic.

Thanks, Jeff
Old 10-13-2013, 11:26 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

However, I did notice something that concerned me. In my driveway, which has a slight up-cline towards garage, I took my foot off the brake and the car started rolling back, not a little roll back until clutch engaged, but a lot. I gave a little gas and it still was rolling back. I thought I had hit the stick into neutral, which I didn't. It seemed as though the clutch would not engage unless I gave more gas. My immediate thought was I just lost my transmission or clutch. Is this normal. I ask in this thread, because this sounds like if these 997.2 PDK cars are designed to creep, then I have a problem. Want to make sure I don't have any major issues, while car is still under warranty for a few more months..
I do not think you have a problem at all. First of all (from what I have read) these transmission rare, I mean rarely fail. I think maybe a handful since they have been made. So little in fact that there is no one who will work on them (not even the porsche dealer). Second it is a manual transmission controlled by a computer and it will shift from engaged to disengaged when the computer deems necessary and thus rolling rearward is probably acceptable to the computer (the creep is only on a level surface, clutch only partially engaged).
Old 10-13-2013, 05:16 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffkilly
Yesterday I bought my first Porsche, a 2009 C4S with PDK/Chrono. Aside from me asking her to marry me - This is one amazing car, correction, this is not a car, this is an amazing machine, a finely engineered work of art - I love it!!!

If I am hijacking this thread, let me know and I will start a new topic.

Thanks, Jeff
You may have a problem. The 997.2 has hill assist, so if you have foot on brake and take it off, it should not roll back. the brake should hold you until you hit gas and go fwd. Now if you tap gas release hill assist and then come off gas, then you may roll back. but that takes a little skill to do that and why are you doing that?
Old 10-13-2013, 06:05 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Exactly , porsche 997.2 has hill assist. Maybe op is comparing to other autos where the car simply does not roll down on an incline when you release gas without braking. The car hangs without stepping on brakes. The porsche does not do this. It needs the brakes and hill assist only assist for a few seconds.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:16 PM
usmm1234
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My newly purchased 2009 997.2 Carr S cab creeps in forward and reverse. I asked the dealer about it after my test ride and he gave much the same reason that is stated in the beginning of this post. The only thing I am sure of, is that I need to make sure this car is aimed in the correct direction when I nail the gas pedal, because it hauls *** compared to my GTS Pig and my trusty 964. It happens so fast and smoothly thru the PDK, it will fool you as to your speed. My old air cooled manual 911 is quick, but you are very aware of the car getting up to speed. I went to pass a semi on our trip home from TN with our new car. I punched the throttle and flew around the truck and almost ran into the back of another car further up the passing lane! Those extra 120 HP seemed like an extra 400 HP. My wife was laughing because she thought I knew what I was doing! Anyhow, 997.2's creep or crawl.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:26 AM
9114Scab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to add, my 2012 4s(997) does creep also at idle. In case anyone was wondering if the 12' do that.

Very informative thread , great job guys.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:59 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

Being a wet clutch, I suspect, that there is extremely limited wear and nothing to be concerned about from a maintenance perspective. Motorcycles use a wet clutch and are intended to be slipped on a regular basis as a means of control at low speeds. Motorcycle clutches can last ages without replacement due to the wet clutch design.

Quick Reply: PDK creeps at idle?