Sponsored by:

2006 price check?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 05:16 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Any thoughts on the pulled transmission on this car? I have not gone so far as to ask for the printout on over revs and so forth. I would be surprised if they dropped the transmission to replace leaking seals and didn't put another new clutch disk in it.

I'm not too up on the 997.1 weak spots, although I did own a couple of 996s and went through the rear main seal problems.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:29 PM
mihink
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jes999
I thoroughly reject this generalization. An intelligent buyer and a good PPI will prove out the condition of the car. Especially with the ability to look at over revs in various ranges and other diagnostic info from the computer I believe that the # of owners is not a real important factor. It is great to get a one owner car and be able to size them up, but it is often not possible. Another thing with sports cars, especially in certain very affluent markets, is that people often buy them as 3rd or 4th cars and seldom drive them. There are a lot of "I always thought I wanted a Porsche (or Ferrari, or Aston, or whatever) and now I can afford one" buyers who quickly tire of either the manual tranny or the ride or the low seating position and sell the car after a year and a couple of thousand miles once it is out of their system.
well said..I believe I am the 4th owner of my '06 C2s...each owner had it for about 14-16 months. I was worried about the car being damaged or something wrong with it because of the multiple owners. The PPI was damn near perfect with no overrevs. I have had the car for the last 14 months now..not one major/minor problem has occured. It looks/drives like new.

I agree with the assessment about 'getting it out of the system' approach. I know of a quite a number of people at my work who buy the hot Audi/Porsche/BMW etc and sell it after 1-2 years with low mileage...just to say they had once owned such a car
Old 04-21-2012, 03:30 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mihink
well said..I believe I am the 4th owner of my '06 C2s...each owner had it for about 14-16 months. I was worried about the car being damaged or something wrong with it because of the multiple owners. The PPI was damn near perfect with no overrevs. I have had the car for the last 14 months now..not one major/minor problem has occured. It looks/drives like new.

I agree with the assessment about 'getting it out of the system' approach. I know of a quite a number of people at my work who buy the hot Audi/Porsche/BMW etc and sell it after 1-2 years with low mileage...just to say they had once owned such a car
Time to sell?
Old 04-21-2012, 06:17 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jes999
I thoroughly reject this generalization. An intelligent buyer and a good PPI will prove out the condition of the car. Especially with the ability to look at over revs in various ranges and other diagnostic info from the computer I believe that the # of owners is not a real important factor. It is great to get a one owner car and be able to size them up, but it is often not possible. Another thing with sports cars, especially in certain very affluent markets, is that people often buy them as 3rd or 4th cars and seldom drive them. There are a lot of "I always thought I wanted a Porsche (or Ferrari, or Aston, or whatever) and now I can afford one" buyers who quickly tire of either the manual tranny or the ride or the low seating position and sell the car after a year and a couple of thousand miles once it is out of their system.
Have to agree with jes999 here, at least for luxury cars like Porsche. It's amazing how people will own for a short while, hardly drive it, and just eat the depreciation and sell it. Not in the context of me buying, my salesman described this as happening a lot, even with some folks doing things like buying a Carrera off the lot to drive until their slot comes up for another Porsche in about a year (was a Turbo S I think).

On another note I'm a bit worried moreso now than in decades past about used sports cars because it seems as though the Fast & Furious idiocy has gone really far into society with more and more people abusing & modding cars, and overall thinking their abilities far exceed what they actually are - the abuse comes out on the cars. Tracking seems far more common too. Maybe not so much fear with the 911 because they seem to have more mature owners, but honestly would you buy a used M3 from a Millennial owner?
Old 04-22-2012, 12:20 PM
nkelley
Instructor

OK Then! 2006 911S 18K mil., Nav, heated seats, chrono, upgraded bose / CD changer, upgraded rims, metallic silver, black leather interior, two owner, all service records / completed, no accidents dings or scratches, brand new perelli tires (less than 500 miles) interior looks new, never seen snow (rain?). Porsche dealership inspected, very few revs in #2, none in 3,4,5, asking $55K took 45K for an easy transaction (Cash).n Garage Queen!
Old 04-22-2012, 02:27 PM
chinole
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nkelley
OK Then! 2006 911S 18K mil., Nav, heated seats, chrono, upgraded bose / CD changer, upgraded rims, metallic silver, black leather interior, two owner, all service records / completed, no accidents dings or scratches, brand new perelli tires (less than 500 miles) interior looks new, never seen snow (rain?). Porsche dealership inspected, very few revs in #2, none in 3,4,5, asking $55K took 45K for an easy transaction (Cash).n Garage Queen!
I'd say you got a smokin' deal! Where? Any pics?
Old 04-22-2012, 03:38 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 136 Posts

YIKES that's a good deal. Where do you live?
Old 04-22-2012, 06:10 PM
fakebreakr
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jfoxny
Here are the 2006 cabriolets that are on the market right now:

http://porschefinder.net/searches/ne...sort=price_asc

Jason

Another great place besides cars.com and autotrader to look for my future Porsche. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2012, 07:35 PM
nkelley
Instructor

Purchased in Maryland on Autotrader!
Old 04-22-2012, 07:40 PM
SacTownGuy
Racer

The deals are out there for sure. Need to be patient. At Porsche the cheapest CPO'd '06 cabs are about $49k asking. I figure you could get them for $44k-45k without too much work. I think anything below that is a "good" deal.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:24 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Purchased in Maryland on Autotrader!
Hmmm. I think I may have looked at that car. Did you purchase from a guy named Derrick toward the end of January of this year?

If so, then you're the guy who beat me to it. I was planning on buying that car, but had to wait to get the money together. When I finally got back to him, he told me someone had gotten the PPI done and was flying in to drive it home. Could that possibly have been you?
Old 04-23-2012, 02:46 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

While I freely admit that there are those buyers out there who sell quickly for valid reasons (and this may be more common at very high price-points), I still contend that a very large number of second-owner-quick-sells are people looking to dump problem cars. Whether you wish to admit this is a common occurrence or not is irrelevant to the fact that it is an issue--and a buyer who ignores this phenomenon is asking for trouble.

Ever notice that late model, second-owner Ferraris often show up for sale just before major services are due? Or even worse, many miles after those services were due. There's a guy in my city right now that bought a 997 I'd had my eye on. I've seen him ragging it out all over town, burning up the tires and driving like a maniac and he's already put it up for sale. I pity the fool who buys that car from him.

The PPI for any fast car or exotic is the best insurance against buying a problem car, but the buyer also needs to be aware of lots of other problem signs--and a second-owner quick sale is a warning sign you shouldn't ignore. That circumstance had better have a darned good explanation behind it or the buyer needs to be ready to walk away.

BTW, I'm glad that the OP found the car he was looking for. Well done.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:09 AM
nkelley
Instructor

Mgordon 18 - It was me

Car checked out at the Porsche Dealership, they stated it was one of the cleanest 2006's they've seen in a while, service mgr told me this 911 was a sweet deal. Although not 100% perfect 97% works for me, especially being 5+ years old! NK

Hmmm. I think I may have looked at that car. Did you purchase from a guy named Derrick toward the end of January of this year?

If so, then you're the guy who beat me to it. I was planning on buying that car, but had to wait to get the money together. When I finally got back to him, he told me someone had gotten the PPI done and was flying in to drive it home. Could that possibly have been you?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:43 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 150 Likes on 123 Posts

There are other considerations to be addressed....do you like the color combo...for me personally I wanted a Red/Tan, Tip, Cabrio...not a fan of any greys (silver etc), or White
Nav is a plus but not a must have, Chrono is a plus but also not a must have...Bose is a big plus.
Low mileage and CPO are a must.
So, I found a Red/Black Tip Cab. Chrono (useless to me) but probably a selling point later on
23,000 miles CPO for $52,000 last November...so far 3,000 miles and the only problem is a new front hood latch/switch (replaced on warranty)
Am I happy NO NO NO, but my wife is, this has become HER car, and, in addition when she goes shopping she doesn't want to leave the Porsche in "dicey" places, so she takes MY BMW X5...I'm using the ISUZU PICK UP as a local driver !
One good point, she has begun to read the PANO and when it comes time to "trade up" she wants a 991 Cab....Red/Tan or Dk Green metallic/Tan....how about that?
Old 04-23-2012, 11:40 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Mgordon 18 - It was me
Car checked out at the Porsche Dealership, they stated it was one of the cleanest 2006's they've seen in a while, service mgr told me this 911 was a sweet deal. Although not 100% perfect 97% works for me, especially being 5+ years old! NK
Porsche dealership inspected, very few revs in #2, none in 3,4,5, asking $55K took 45K for an easy transaction (Cash).n Garage Queen!
nkelly - I'm sure your a good dude, but you have to be honest with the board, particularly when you're talking about prices. The car you (we) were looking at in Maryland did NOT have an asking price of $55K. The ask was $49,900.

With that fib, I'm no longer 100% sure you actually paid $45K. It would be awesome if you did, because that's a great deal. I might say that it's almost "too great."

So what's the story?

Quick Reply: 2006 price check?