Sponsored by:

Pendulum dynamics and AWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 04:16 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
...no one is complaining that a C4/S is a sellout to modernity and the ruination of traditional 911 values...
It would be hard to argue that, as the 959 which started it all was based on the 'original' 911, and was not only one of the greatest supercars ever made, but also developed for and used in competition.

Not that I am a fan of AWD in anything other than utility vehicles - IMO there is always a compromise when power is going through the driven wheels.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:50 PM
one-rennlist
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an old thread, I know, but searching for the pendulum effect lead me here.

I test drove a 991 GTS 4 the other day and compared to the normal 991 S I found rather dull I experienced a car that was very playful (even provcatively so), even to the point its butt kicked me a bit when accelerating flat out out of a very tight bend in first gear (PDK in Sport).

Ten minutes later I drove the same road in my 997 GTS MT Cab and while I didn't push it equally hard (so no loss of traction) the experience was different: The car bounced quite noticably on the bumpy surface (demanding respect), compared to it the 991 is like on rails - even at 9/10 driving.

However the 997 got this lovable weight in the back and eager steering in the front - both you don't really feel in the 991 anymore. Personally I think the 997 overall has a very old school character to it, that's why I love my 997 GTS (besides its very unique sound).

What surprised me (in hindsight) is how the 991 GTS really begs you to thrash it and just laughs in your face asking for more. This quality was quite unexpected for me...

Quick Reply: Pendulum dynamics and AWD