Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are there differences between 991 PDK & 997.2 PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 12:08 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JeanLouis33
Thanks for the nice words! Yes, I love that car to bits!!!! I was just thinking of upgrading to the same, only in 3.8L. and less mileage. However this has now changed... as the difference the Bordeaux Porsche Centre are asking me for the swap is astronomical. And I have more sense than money.
So I'm keeping it. I had it fully tested (compressions, over-revving computer checks... -not sure how you say this in English- the lot) and it is good as new.
So, as I have had it 4 years, and I am itching for some change, I am going to go to Techart in Stuttgart Germany, and for a fraction of the cost of a change of car, get an extra 70bhp 550hp will be in 991 Turbo territory Totally childish, of course... but what the heck, life is short. I'll visit the Porsche Museum there , at the same time... always wanted to see it.

Re. PDK, I share your views entirely... or perhaps I should say "shared", until I had a 991S for three days, last spring. Now, THAT PDK impressed me, a lot. Which is why I started this conversation, by the way. Never say never, my friend... I was the fiercest opponent of the "automatic", exactly the same arguments as yours (and valid they are) but after three days, I took it back thinking "yes, I could get used to this one". It is blindingly fast, and the little exhaust "yaps" in between gears (both upshifting and down shifting) do make your hairs stand on end... trust me.

The 997S is a beauty of a car. I had two in succession. If you can find it in Carrara White (nothing to do with Carrera of course), then go for it. The only "fault" of that generation is a non existant sound. All it needs is a valves exhaust, CarGraphic for example (no shortage of Tuners in your part of the world) and you will have one dream of a car.

Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.
Do you know if I can post photos here, or do I have to be a fully paid member (I just arrived last week...)
Your TechArt plan sounds very reasonable to me...not childish at all. You'll be getting most of what you want for comparatively little money. Plus the Porsche museum? It's a "win/win".

I'm apparently a bit of an odd-ball: I really value a quiet car. So, I'm glad the 997.2 is considered too quiet by so many...that tells me that I have a good chance of liking the car as is. I am aware of the sweet sounds that the Porsche flat six is capable of making, though...so I will be looking for a car with PSE. That way, I can have my cake and eat it, too, as we say.

Your specific mention of "Carrara White" brings up a question that I've had for some time. Maybe you can clear it up for me...I do love white on a 911, but only if it is a really bright white rather than an "off-white". I understand that there were two different whites available (?), and I want to be sure that I am looking only at cars that are the brighter white. Can you tell me which one "Carrara White" is, or which is the brightest white, etc.? T.I.A.

Sorry...I can't help with posting a photo. I'm also a non-paying member and have never tried to post one myself, so I don't know...
Old 10-03-2013, 04:40 PM
JeanLouis33
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 1analguy
Your TechArt plan sounds very reasonable to me...not childish at all. You'll be getting most of what you want for comparatively little money. Plus the Porsche museum? It's a "win/win".

I'm apparently a bit of an odd-ball: I really value a quiet car. So, I'm glad the 997.2 is considered too quiet by so many...that tells me that I have a good chance of liking the car as is. I am aware of the sweet sounds that the Porsche flat six is capable of making, though...so I will be looking for a car with PSE. That way, I can have my cake and eat it, too, as we say.

Your specific mention of "Carrara White" brings up a question that I've had for some time. Maybe you can clear it up for me...I do love white on a 911, but only if it is a really bright white rather than an "off-white". I understand that there were two different whites available (?), and I want to be sure that I am looking only at cars that are the brighter white. Can you tell me which one "Carrara White" is, or which is the brightest white, etc.? T.I.A.

Sorry...I can't help with posting a photo. I'm also a non-paying member and have never tried to post one myself, so I don't know...
Indeed, the PSE is having your cake and eating it ! Making noise is not a compulsory Porschist characteristic, but the GT3 sound is simply fabulous... still, each to their own. Although the PSE open, in a tunnel, may change your mind about it

Yes! Carrara Weiss... that IS indeed the whiter-than-white colour, the one you mean. It no longer exists for the 991 (different name, at least) but the whole 997 range could have it.

I made a video in honour of the car (the best car I ever owned) so if you like, here is my You Tube Channel > the name is Tubyjl (in YouTube) . Among the videos, look for "Ode to the 997 turbo" (ode a la 997 Turbo) . Sorry about the comments in French! but you will be able to judge the colour (during the vid, look out at 04.50mn, the Parade in the streets of St Tropez, you will see the exact car you are looking for)

I am not too sure on this Forum whether it is allowed. Anyway, no harm intended....
keep in touch.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:46 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 260 Posts

Carrara white is the bright white.
The following users liked this post:
JeanLouis33 (06-23-2020)
Old 10-04-2013, 12:24 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What a crazy thread.

1. That "blip" you all are celebrating in the 991 is fully present in my GTS. It's called matching revs on downshifts. Three pedal drivers know what this is.

2. If you go to the dealer and suggest that the shifts don't feel right (I.e. Too hard), they will check to see if you have the latest software update, and install it if you don't.

3. The differences that Mr. "Countless launch control" (which in my mind sounds like abuse) described is way overblown. If it were that evident, there would be no difference of opinion.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:10 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by fbfisher
What a crazy thread.

1. That "blip" you all are celebrating in the 991 is fully present in my GTS. It's called matching revs on downshifts. Three pedal drivers know what this is.

2. If you go to the dealer and suggest that the shifts don't feel right (I.e. Too hard), they will check to see if you have the latest software update, and install it if you don't.

3. The differences that Mr. "Countless launch control" (which in my mind sounds like abuse) described is way overblown. If it were that evident, there would be no difference of opinion.

Agree on all points.. 997.2 has rev matching. Shifts are soft in normal, hard in sport and harder in sport plus. People complain about the smoothness of 2-1 in sport. But PDK is seeking the lower gear in case you want to be on it. Hence the word "sport". If you want smooth either use normal or manual..
Old 10-04-2013, 05:03 AM
JeanLouis33
Racer

What a crazy thread.
Thanks fbfisher. Like your humour (sorry, "humor" in the U.S.).

But I do not really "celebrate" the 'matching revs' (and thank you for updating me on how it is referred to in your language).
I was only asking the question after a sufficiently long test of both PDKs, 1 and 2, to have noticed an incontrovertible difference between the two.

This thread (albeit crazy, but then, what do you expect when I am around... ) has given me an important insight : the difference I felt is not due to the hardware, but to the software...

Being on my 7th 911 in thirty years does not make me an authority (I am NOT "one of those") but I have been, shall we say, a fervent follower of the 911 (901 originally) since its inception, in 1963... yes, I was at University then! No spring chicken.

Being new to Rennlist, I used this thread to "test" the water, and the atmosphere. And I like it a lot.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:21 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the earlier posts that say pdk1 to pdk2 is evolutionary and NOT revolutionary. Revolutionary would be tiptronic to PDK1. If no one can say what actually changed then I suspect software and diet. Most like to tell you how they changed unless it is software.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:06 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

What a crazy thread.

1. That "blip" you all are celebrating in the 991 is fully present in my GTS. It's called matching revs on downshifts.
Fully present in my -09 C4S too.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:54 AM
JeanLouis33
Racer

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Fully present in my -09 C4S too.
Beautiful car Sandwedge... (Quartz grey?) Do I detect wheel spacers at the back...? or sports suspension? there is something grrrrr about the rear of that 997

Back to the topic, the 997 3.8L Turbo I test drove in normal//sport//surpersport modes did not, I repeat not, have those blips. Trust me guys, I know.

So is it Turbo specific? Or is there something wrong with that particular car (which I am still undecided about... although I am probably going to go the other way... more hp for mine)
Old 10-05-2013, 12:11 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

If you drive in auto mode with Sport mode on and don't like the harder 2-1 down shift...brake later and slightly harder and it smoothes out.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:40 PM
JeanLouis33
Racer

Originally Posted by mdrums
If you drive in auto mode with Sport mode on and don't like the harder 2-1 down shift...brake later and slightly harder and it smoothes out.
Thank. Nice to meet a pro. My issues were twofold: 1- in sports/supersports mode, but manual, I had (several times, not just once) a hard jolt going up from one to two. The Porcshe centre guy with me was equally surprised... I stopped and tried it again and again... 1st gear, foot down, hit the right paddle at the right moment, and "bang"... not a surperfast gear change, no, a drop in rvs, jolt, gera up, then go (all in fractions of a second of course, but enough to be quite noticeable and unpleasant).

And 2-, as I was "left padddling" back down the gears, I never heard the little bit of gas (mimicking the old "double declutch") which is so lovelly to hear; The Ferrair F430 and 458 do it beautifully, but when I had a 991S for three days, it did it. And this 997 Turbo 3.8L didn't...

Nothing major, really, mdrums, I just wanted other people's take on these.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:12 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Beautiful car Sandwedge... (Quartz grey?) Do I detect wheel spacers at the back...? or sports suspension? there is something grrrrr about the rear of that 997

Back to the topic, the 997 3.8L Turbo I test drove in normal//sport//surpersport modes did not, I repeat not, have those blips. Trust me guys, I know.

So is it Turbo specific? Or is there something wrong with that particular car (which I am still undecided about... although I am probably going to go the other way... more hp for mine)
Thanks. It's meteor gray and yes both spacers and H&R lowering springs.

What year was that turbo you drove?
Old 10-05-2013, 04:29 PM
JeanLouis33
Racer

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Thanks. It's meteor gray and yes both spacers and H&R lowering springs.
What year was that turbo you drove?
Meteor... I like that colour. Ha, spacers AND low springs... I knew there was something...
My car is 2007, and the one I drove is 2010.
But I am also looking at one 2011, with only 13000km... loaded with extras... shame it is sort of... out of my budget

Here are 2 pics (if I am allowed , as a simple "user") that will show you more than many words...
Name:  000.jpg
Views: 2537
Size:  118.8 KB

Name:  0000.jpg
Views: 2508
Size:  109.4 KB
Old 10-05-2013, 05:51 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm no pro...in other words I don't get paid to drive on the track...there are mechanical noises and sometime a slight jolt in manual when manually downshift going slowly to a stop.
I doubt there is anything wrong with your car. I've owned 2 PDK cars tracked a lot and zero issues. Honestly PDK works best on the track but when slowly driving around town there are mechanical noises and a jolt on downshifting at times
Thank. Nice to meet a pro. My issues were twofold: 1- in sports/supersports mode, but manual, I had (several times, not just once) a hard jolt going up from one to two. The Porcshe centre guy with me was equally surprised... I stopped and tried it again and again... 1st gear, foot down, hit the right paddle at the right moment, and "bang"... not a surperfast gear change, no, a drop in rvs, jolt, gera up, then go (all in fractions of a second of course, but enough to be quite noticeable and unpleasant).

And 2-, as I was "left padddling" back down the gears, I never heard the little bit of gas (mimicking the old "double declutch") which is so lovelly to hear; The Ferrair F430 and 458 do it beautifully, but when I had a 991S for three days, it did it. And this 997 Turbo 3.8L didn't...

Nothing major, really, mdrums, I just wanted other people's take on these.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm glad I have a manual after reading thru this thread lol

Quick Reply: Are there differences between 991 PDK & 997.2 PDK?