Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I remove side dash vent (05 997)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 05:26 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do I remove side dash vent (05 997)?

I've spent the last couple of hours on Rennlist/6Speed/Renntech and the only thing I come up with is a pictorial that shows a sort of center clip that is pushed up with a screwdriver at the top of the vent. I've looked into my vent (drivers side vent) and there does NOT appear to be any center "clip" to push up on, just 2 gray, U-shaped things, about 3-4mm in diameter.

Does anyone know how to get this vent out?

The reason I'm doing this is to replace the slider "fork" that finally rattled out from under the dash onto my floor mat.

Thanks!!
Old 03-31-2012, 06:41 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its tough to remove, but there is indeed a clip at the top. Its best to pry with a small, thin, but non-flexible screwdriver through the vent. Futher bad news, there are 2 tension clips on a side vent, about an inch apart. I used a pick with a small hook to hold one and used a screwdriver to release the other. If you pull too hard the silver trim is easy to crack, and there will also be a wire for illumination. Just keep at it. First time probably took me 40 minutes of wrestling.

This might help, but note this is the center vent, again side vents have 2 clips. Dont break the trim, the part is several hundred dollars from a dealer. If the vent fins come undone, those are easy to reassemble so dont panic, just dont break them.

Here is the top view of a side vent, which has clearly been mangled. It was broken when i got my car, and it was clear i wasnt going to salvage it, so i pretty much went ahead and killed it getting it out. Doing it without damaging it will be a challenge, but hopefully this view helps.

Last edited by IslandS52; 03-31-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:59 PM
McCulla
Pro

Thanks IslandS52. I've got just the screwdriver in mind. I assume the small, gray "loops" are holding the outer trim onto the vent assy, right?
Old 03-31-2012, 07:02 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes pull down on them. A hooked pick might be a better choice if you have one, there is more tension in them than you would expect..
Old 03-31-2012, 07:09 PM
McCulla
Pro

OK. Thanks for the pics, now I can visualize what's happening behind the scenes.

Quick Reply: How do I remove side dash vent (05 997)?