Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dad told me NOT TO BUY a PORSCHE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 08:45 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

My mom passed almost nine years ago,she worked for the phone company for about 30 years. She enjoyed cars and I would not have mine if it was not for her. I wish she was here so I could take her for a ride.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Tony, she's gone with you on more rides than you know man. I feel my Dad who has also passed comes with me often. I can smell his St.Julian tobacco and I don't smoke
Old 03-30-2012, 09:04 PM
deijmaster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by _Nathan
My opinion is that the people who are alive should be the ones making the decisions. When the time comes, spend your money on whatever you want.
perfect comment.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:23 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

I think the closer that generation was to the great depression, the more frugal they were. Many saved and saved and ended up with large nest eggs. Despite that, they never indulged themselves in expensive or lavish stuff. Many boomers went to the opposite extreme. Spending beyond their means and racking up debt that became an issue in 2008. I'd say, somewhere in the middle is a good compromise. Live well but well within your means. Enjoy life but sleep well at night and take care of your kids.

Enjoy your time with your Dad. I lost mine to lung cancer. Life is short, have fun! Plus he passed on the car bug to me and my 6 year old boy has it bad too?
Old 03-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by _Nathan
My opinion is that the people who are alive should be the ones making the decisions. When the time comes, spend your money on whatever you want.
FYI, this is legally referred to as "Dead Hand Control"; ostensibly this limits what the deceased can stipulate be done with their wealth after death. (BTW, I don't disagree with your comment.)
Old 03-30-2012, 11:13 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

People, the choices they make, their interests all differ from person to person. I am sorry to hear about your Dad's illness. Just live and splurge sensibly. Be it buying cars or anything for that matter. I will educate my kids all the way and then the rest is for me, my wife to enjoy and make a difference in others lives. I don't ever obsess over my finances or eggs nest. One day you are here who knows what is in store the next day.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:31 PM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dad still trying to run your life even when he is gone? Are you the youngest?
Old 03-30-2012, 11:57 PM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

You made a commitment, do try to subvert it. Keep your entegrity, that is what makes you a man! Later on if you still want a Porsche and have earned and saved for it without using any part of your inheritance, go for it.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:09 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad owned a Porsche but didn't live long enough to see mine. He'd be proud....
Old 03-31-2012, 10:16 AM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
My dad owned a Porsche but didn't live long enough to see mine. He'd be proud....
I sure hope mine would have been too. I really miss you dad.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Well the old bugger has managed to live three years since being diagnosed and starting up chemo. Pardon my french but can you imagine being on FRIGEN Chemo for three years? REALLY?

I chose to take Sabbatical from working my craft for the past six months; and for however long my parents find themselves in this situation. Just the point that I can be present to help my father during this time in life is In-Fact a Beautiful thing. I know my dad is in pain, I'm just grateful that I can help lessen the load of this great burden that lays upon him.

I almost bought a 2010 911TT brand new, still have the PDF that Sascha helped me out with the parts list from the LA Auto Show. I told him I almost bought a 911TT New a few years earlier, told him the cost and he didn't believe I had the money to pay for it. Again, in this family it's not like we are comparing notes on income.

So of course, I'm not going to use any of that money on a car, heaven forbid as my grandma might say.

The funny thing is I told my dad he could keep his damn money for as long as he wants. He just has to stay with us - that's all
Old 03-31-2012, 01:17 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I have 3 street worthy Porsches -- combined I paid less than my wife's 2010 Buick Enclave (new)
and that includes the restoration costs :-) Had enough left over to pick up 2 944 track cars :-)

If you don't mind wrenching a little -- or have access to a decent reliable mechanic
you can enjoy the world of Porsche's on a budget.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:23 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

I've thought about doing the whole "GRUPPE-R" thing with an old car that needs some TLC.

Looked into, I know blasphemous, putting a Subaru 2.5 Turbo into an old 73 911 my buddy had with a bad motor.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:44 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

He spent his entire life frugally saving up that money; he could have blown it on luxuries or fun, but he didn't. I say, honor his request, don't spend it on a brand new Porsche. Do the frugal thing, and buy a used Porsche, instead! I mean, he didn't tell you not to buy a used Porsche, did he? He specifically said "brand new Porsche". That way, you can get a practically new GTS, GT3 or Turbo for what you would have spent on a new base 911! Which, by the way, will also have better resale value and much less depreciation than a new Porsche. Even now, he's trying to teach you value
Old 03-31-2012, 02:52 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

That money is going for a greater than 20% Down Payment on some property I will eventually purchase. Until that happens it will just be tied up in a low-risk short-term portfolio.

Don't know where exactly I'm going to let my roots grow. I keep on seeing these awesome properties on Shows like American Pickers. Mulling over looking for a "Home-Stead" out in the sticks of Ohio et al. You can't get them big properties as such in Long Beach California.

And I could go out and buy a new 991 if I wanted too right now. Not many people know I'm saving up to get a 959 to go rally racing. That's all in the future. I'm only really concerned with keep care of my dad at the moment. Besides I get to drive around in there Toyota Prius. I gifted my Hyundai Elantra to my Ex because she needed more than I did - was my business car anyway so no big deal.

Quick Reply: Dad told me NOT TO BUY a PORSCHE!!!