Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for some simple engine mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

There could be some additional weight savings. If you are carrying the cost of the CAI in pennies in your car then there would be a 3.9 lb. weight savings upon payment.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:41 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

I think it is a dam shame w/ the 991 how it directly relates to this thread. The day of engine Eye candy and simple DIY jobs are history!!
Old 03-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

My tech told me that it is now easier to get to the plugs on the 991. The air filters do appear to be a bit of a pain. But for a once every 15k miles I wouldn't gripe too much.

I can still remember changing plugs, condenser and points in the 60's. They were mostly easy to get to but I'd do those 3 times to every one change for the new 911. Of course there are no condenser and points in the newer cars. And then there was the task of keeping the Webers synched. Would I want to go back to that? No. However, at the time it did offer a certain level of satisfaction.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:59 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alan C.
My tech told me that it is now easier to get to the plugs on the 991. The air filters do appear to be a bit of a pain. But for a once every 15k miles I wouldn't gripe too much.

I can still remember changing plugs, condenser and points in the 60's. They were mostly easy to get to but I'd do those 3 times to every one change for the new 911. Of course there are no condenser and points in the newer cars. And then there was the task of keeping the Webers synched. Would I want to go back to that? No. However, at the time it did offer a certain level of satisfaction.
Maybe easier for a mechanic, but for us in the garage, different story. I am more disappointed w/ not being able to pop the rear deck and look at the engine, for what it is even @ the 997.2 vantage point.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:41 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

I didn't really have any success with intake mods on the mk2. Porsche did a wonderful job vs the mk1 and it seals perfectly too. You need to be careful that you don't just suck in hot air. More air is fine and all (well not turbulent...) but you don't want hot air and higher intake temps. Then the ECU pulls timing etc... and it goes downhill fast.

I just used our exhaust and tune for a few extra ponies on my 09S.

We documented some of our tuning stuff from late 2008 here:
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...s-ztadpol.html

The dyno of our exhaust. The stock center section is a bit of a blockage to be honest and it was easy to get a few ponies:
Old 03-30-2012, 07:42 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Not true, if you watch the video the stock unit is unsealed at the bottom to let out rainwater.
I believe that the FabSpeed video is incorrect with regard to the "openings" in the stock airbox. According to Porsche, those are "sound openings" and they are airtight. Here's the blurb from the 997S Technik.
Air cleaner housing with sound openings
To avoid a possible intake of warm air from the engine compartment even under critical engine operating conditions (e.g. high ambient air temperature), the sound openings on the underside of the air cleaner housing have been modified. By using openings with a large surface area with inserted, nigh-on airtight polyamide fabric, the intake of warm air from the engine compartment is nearly completely prevented while the intake sound typical for Porsche is retained.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:49 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes, I had the stock airbox open recently and it does not seem to open at all. Just a membrane for sound effects per Porsche.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:08 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Sargepug, those 2 white fabric like pieces at the bottom of the air box are kind of like passive radiators on a sub woofer...but are tuned to take out sound. They do not pass any hot air back and forth.

Anyway, just trying to help you out...but it's your money and you seem bent on spending it on the Fabspeed intake...cool... what ever makes you happy but I just wanted to try and help and point these things out to you so that you don't go into mod's like this thinking you are going to feel any power difference in the car...even a tiny bit....there are no cheap inexpensive mod's to gain power on these cars.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:06 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by mdrums
Sargepug, those 2 white fabric like pieces at the bottom of the air box are kind of like passive radiators on a sub woofer...but are tuned to take out sound. They do not pass any hot air back and forth.

Anyway, just trying to help you out...but it's your money and you seem bent on spending it on the Fabspeed intake...cool... what ever makes you happy but I just wanted to try and help and point these things out to you so that you don't go into mod's like this thinking you are going to feel any power difference in the car...even a tiny bit....there are no cheap inexpensive mod's to gain power on these cars.
All well appreciated Mike and I never expected "seat of the pants" feel from this or even the muffler bypass. Just a little eye and ear candy!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Don't know about you guys but moddin a 385hp for what ? to go faster down the street.
Complete waste of money and effort.
Just my opinion.

Regards
Old 03-31-2012, 10:52 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by sharkster
I didn't really have any success with intake mods on the mk2. Porsche did a wonderful job vs the mk1 and it seals perfectly too. You need to be careful that you don't just suck in hot air. More air is fine and all (well not turbulent...) but you don't want hot air and higher intake temps. Then the ECU pulls timing etc... and it goes downhill fast.
Hi Sharkster and thanks for the input. I received the unit and must say it is a beauty. Everything is carbon fiber other than the bright blue cone filters. I can't see how this unit can really differ from the stock unit, air temp wise. With the heat shield installed and the deck lid shut, the intake is cut off / separated from the engine bay. The air filters are now directly under / touching the deck lid air intakes, so all external cold air is going directly into the filter. The air is then funneled much more efficiently without turbulence into the intake, because of the Y / internal splitter design. The cooling fan now sits directly on top of the Y, so will be even more effective on cooling the air in high temps. Couple all that w/ the great looks, enhanced sound and power gains, however minimal, I think it makes for a great system.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:02 AM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installing it today?
What's the holdup man?
Old 03-31-2012, 03:12 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by Skibum
Installing it today?
What's the holdup man?
I first thought I won $250k in Mega Millions! I had 5 out of 6 numbers, winds up because I did not have the first 5 out of 5, it was only $150! I had the first 4 and then another number in the powerball spot, if I had the power ball in the right spot, then it would have been $10k
The hooked up a fresh keg of Boddingtons in the kegerator. I had to swith over the whole system, since it takes a N2/ Co2 mixture.
Breaking for lunch and installing after! I'll post pics!
Old 03-31-2012, 04:57 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Live video would have been better... but I guess pic's will have to do.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:50 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
All well appreciated Mike and I never expected "seat of the pants" feel from this or even the muffler bypass. Just a little eye and ear candy!
Well that is cool...good...nothing wrong with that.....yey candy....carbon intake?!?!?! major $$$$ though.....ear candy....a nice exhaust system....plenty to choose from and depends on how loud you like it.

Quick Reply: Looking for some simple engine mods