Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for some simple engine mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 01:21 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

I am also thinking of installing this x pipe / muffler bypass. Anybody have thoughts on this? The exhaust note sounds great in the sound clip and that is without the PSE I have to further enhance it.
I can't see a warranty issue with this either, correct?
Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2012, 02:10 PM
joelpirela
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, you'll need to cut a hole on your deck for the additional air snorkel... not that I'm afraid to do so...
Old 03-26-2012, 02:15 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Sarge, that Fabspeed intake is no good...lets in hot air...not a true cold air intake. Race teams like in the Grand Am seris could use it but don't for this vary reason.

Messing with the ECU will void powertrain warranty....no matter what Porsche dealer says if they are trying to sell you a ECU mod...your warranty is with PCNA and not the dealer...go ahead and call PCNA in Atlanta like I did and ask them...they will tell you the same thing I'm telling you.

Maybe put on some nice mufflers...that will not void any warranty and go take some coaching lessons at your local track from a top rated coach or attend the Porsche Sport Driving School at Baraber Motorsports park....that's the best mod you can ever do...mod the drive...car is fast already....it will take at least 10-15k of real mods to make your car noticably faster....you can spend $300 at the track with a PCA instructor and mod yourself and actually come away with better skills....or do some cosmetic mods...but leave the ECU and stock cold air intake alone....waste of money and time.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:49 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Install a Symposer!
Old 03-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the 997.2 comes with dual snorkels.

Originally Posted by joelpirela
yes, you'll need to cut a hole on your deck for the additional air snorkel... not that I'm afraid to do so...
Old 03-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X51 if you're worried about Warranty. Probably $15k
Old 03-26-2012, 07:27 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by joelpirela
I think that is for the 997.1, go to the fabspeed website and they show the simple install. It just doesn't fit w/ the aero kit.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:37 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by mdrums
Sarge, that Fabspeed intake is no good...lets in hot air...not a true cold air intake. Race teams like in the Grand Am seris could use it but don't for this vary reason.

Messing with the ECU will void powertrain warranty....no matter what Porsche dealer says if they are trying to sell you a ECU mod...your warranty is with PCNA and not the dealer...go ahead and call PCNA in Atlanta like I did and ask them...they will tell you the same thing I'm telling you.

Maybe put on some nice mufflers...that will not void any warranty and go take some coaching lessons at your local track from a top rated coach or attend the Porsche Sport Driving School at Baraber Motorsports park....that's the best mod you can ever do...mod the drive...car is fast already....it will take at least 10-15k of real mods to make your car noticably faster....you can spend $300 at the track with a PCA instructor and mod yourself and actually come away with better skills....or do some cosmetic mods...but leave the ECU and stock cold air intake alone....waste of money and time.
Thanks for the advice, but isn't what's used inn racing also influenced by sponsorship?
Like in Nascar they used to use Wix filters before EFI this year, during the carboration era, Wix was buying ad space on the cars for a million years. Fabspeed does provide a heat shield and explanation on the site for this specific topic, did you see it. Of course they are biased, but it dies seem viable. What would you consider as another option, I am open?!
I am also not looking to get seat of the pants enhancments, that will definitely be a warranty buster, just nice looks, sound and a little extra hp as a bonus. It's really all about being board w/ the car and needing a little mod pick me up!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
I am also thinking of installing this x pipe / muffler bypass. Anybody have thoughts on this? The exhaust note sounds great in the sound clip and that is without the PSE I have to further enhance it.
Don't you have to worry about emissions?
Old 03-26-2012, 07:56 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

FYI... Just did my safety and smog inspection today. IPD Plenum so far issues no CEL codes and no issues with emissions. Still waiting for a cooler day so I can dyno it though... hope it's not too late this season. We need some cold arctic air from up north!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:08 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum
Don't you have to worry about emissions?
NO, the x-pipes or by-pass pipes replace the 3ed (center) muffler on a 997.2. No emission issues. I have the Sharkwerks by-pass pipes, which sound GREAT with my PSE.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:12 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

SArge,

My money went to Sharkwerks for their by-pass pipes (cross over not X pipes) to replace the center (3rd) muffler. If you think your PSE sounds good now, install the Sharkwerks pipes. The grin will be temple to temple, not just ear to ear.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
NO, the x-pipes or by-pass pipes replace the 3ed (center) muffler on a 997.2. No emission issues. I have the Sharkwerks by-pass pipes, which sound GREAT with my PSE.
Ahh yeah...997.2
Old 03-26-2012, 09:04 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Thanks for the advice, but isn't what's used inn racing also influenced by sponsorship?
Like in Nascar they used to use Wix filters before EFI this year, during the carboration era, Wix was buying ad space on the cars for a million years. Fabspeed does provide a heat shield and explanation on the site for this specific topic, did you see it. Of course they are biased, but it dies seem viable. What would you consider as another option, I am open?!
I am also not looking to get seat of the pants enhancments, that will definitely be a warranty buster, just nice looks, sound and a little extra hp as a bonus. It's really all about being board w/ the car and needing a little mod pick me up!
Yes true but the team I know uses some Fabspeed exhaust parts but tested their intake and found higher intake temps. They used at the time the Evoms intake wrapped in gold foil on the 997.1 cars and now with the 997.2 cars I've seen many using the dual snorkel stock intake wrapped
Old 03-26-2012, 09:06 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Sarge Edgy said it best ....Porsche doesn't leave any low hanging fruit. Any mod that is even slightly noticeable for more power or better braking is super expensive.

Quick Reply: Looking for some simple engine mods