Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Positive Porsche Experiences vs. The Unfortunate!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 06:17 PM
nkelley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Positive Porsche Experiences vs. The Unfortunate!

It seems that all we ever here from when it comes Porsche owner feedback is all the negatives from the unfortunate.

It would be nice to hear from those who have had minimal problems, but not necessarilly engine block / crack failures.

I ask this because I am considering purchasing an aftermarket warranty from my Porsche dealer 4 yrs 48K for $1600.00 which is a real bargain. I was quoted $2600.00 from two other Porsche dealers which tells me these warranty's are negotiable!!!!

Info requested:

Year: 2006

Model: Carrera S (997)

Current Mileage: 19550

1st Major Problem / Mileage: Rear Engine Seal @ 18500

Cost of Repair: $1200.00

Warranty or Living On The Edge!!!: "Edge"

Thx

NK
Old 03-15-2012, 06:22 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That price sounds like a great price, especially coming from your dealer.

My CPO runs out in 4 weeks, at which time I plan to "live on the edge" without a warranty. My '06 has been great. I have confidence, maybe naively, that Porsche will take care of me if my IMS blows out, warranty or not.

Whether I keep it another 2 or 10 years, I'm okay with normal maintenance. Hopefully all will be well.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Neotorque
Rennlist Member

You never get a representative sample online. 99% of Porsche owners are thrilled with their cars, which is why they win all the Consumer Reports reliability studies and the like, and have no need to complain about problems online. People who have problems are much more likely to search out more information and end up posting their horror stories.

All that said, that's a steal, even if it's powertrain only.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:29 PM
nkelley
Instructor

Nice to hear from another 2006 911 owner. I have a friend that has a 2006 911S, cracked his block w/ 16500 for mileage, cost 10K to fix, but was under warranty. I believe I read another post on this site, same problem! Has me wondering if this is an isolated problem or not!

I have a late 2006 production 911 manufactured in April. I've heard about the 2006's that were produced in late 2005 w/ engine problems, I was wondering if anyone new the complete story here?

NK
Old 03-15-2012, 06:30 PM
nkelley
Instructor

Yes Powertrain Only!
Old 03-15-2012, 06:38 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Some thoughts which you might have already considered.

Read the warranty coverage very carefully. Try to find an "exclusionary" policy so you know specifically what is excluded (as opposed to listing of what is included which rarely contemplates all the things that can go wrong). Less risk to you with exclusionary policy.

Also, make sure the policy is from a company that has been around for a long time and has a stellar reputation for working with repair facilities and not a reputation for finding any reason to not pay the claim. Ask a few service advisors which extended warranty company is less problematic.

You are right. There is a significant amount of flexibility on pricing. Big margins with some of the warranty products (although the F&I person will swear that there is only $100!).

I too wanted some added comfort and purchased a policy last November.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:39 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by nkelley
Yes Powertrain Only!
Well, that MIGHT be a ****-up... try to clarify EXACTLY what is covered under powertrain, the one thing you wanna make sure if that main IMS/RMS seals are covered, then when it comes to transmission, what EXACTLY is covered. Also, IF such warranty is subject to rev-range on the engine.. as you may have read some warranties have been denied on car that have gone X-number of times over certain RPM rev range. So, if this warranty is subject to that, clarify it, then ensure you do a PRE-PPI check with note of the over-revs, put that in the contract, so if at some point things go bad, they cannot blame you for over-revs of previous owner.

Those two are the $$ repairs... otherwise, the rest are electronic failures and basic stuff that you could do for cheap if things go wrong.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:49 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
Those two are the $$ repairs... otherwise, the rest are electronic failures and basic stuff that you could do for cheap if things go wrong.
I disagree. The 997 is loaded with electronics that can cost thousands to repair. Radio, Nav, Sport Chrono, cruise control, air condition control units. The powertrain is very limited coverage.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:13 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
I disagree. The 997 is loaded with electronics that can cost thousands to repair. Radio, Nav, Sport Chrono, cruise control, air condition control units. The powertrain is very limited coverage.
I disagree back .. electronics although expensive, are within a cpl of thousands range, AND you can find cheaper parts to replace em with (not buying straight from dealer, eBay, etc), and labour on those items are managable.

The MAJOR cost are, IMS failure/engine failure/Transmission rebuild, ALL above $10-15K.

PS. btw, we got the EXACT same car!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:05 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
I disagree back .. electronics although expensive, are within a cpl of thousands range, AND you can find cheaper parts to replace em with (not buying straight from dealer, eBay, etc), and labour on those items are managable.

The MAJOR cost are, IMS failure/engine failure/Transmission rebuild, ALL above $10-15K.

PS. btw, we got the EXACT same car!
You do have a very nice looking car. I think yours is a C4S vs my C2S.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:41 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by nkelley
It would be nice to hear from those who have had minimal problems, but not necessarilly engine block / crack failures.
Year: 2009

Model: Carrera S (997.2)

Current Mileage: 31,800

1st Major Problem / Mileage: None, nor even small ones.

Cost of repairs: n/a

Warranty or Living On The Edge!!!: Original warranty has a few months left.

Alright, I did use half a quart of oil at one track event. So does that count?

Gary
Old 03-17-2012, 02:46 AM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2006 S late year build. DD and track car. 40k miles. Not one issue. Getting nervous though. Something has to happen soon!
Old 03-17-2012, 04:33 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2005 C2 tip purchased new 7 years ago. 72K miles. Just replaced leaking water pump. Only out of warranty expense (excepting routine maintenance items) so far.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:55 AM
El Fredo
Advanced

2006 911s trip cab

26k on the odo

plastic interior parts seem to be this cars weakest link.

drive train all good so far!
Old 03-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Sharkys
Advanced

2005 C2S, 54K miles.

Noticed dry seepage residue on a non leaking at the time water pump. Had dealer replace pump along with serpentine belt.

All other items routine maintenance. I bought the car used from a private party with no warranty and I can sleep at night. Previous history showed no major repairs and all TSBs addressed.

Quick Reply: Positive Porsche Experiences vs. The Unfortunate!