Sponsored by:

high speed Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 04:00 PM
buddy911t
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default high speed Vibrations

I experience a sort of rythmic vibration at high speed (90 plus). It's not in the steering wheel, it's through the whole car. I can't tell if it's just road feel or a wheel balance issue. Does anyone else experience this. Please don't admonish me for speeding, I'm only bad every once in a while.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:05 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

What brand of tires?

How many miles on them?

When were they last balanced?

Any odd wear of the tread?

Sounds like something is up with the rear tires. I say rear because you don't feel it in the steering wheel.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd bet on rear wheel balance problems. I drive mine year-round and had an interesting experience a month ago - drove through slush, which ended up freezing inside wheels. Major vibration when I hit the highway but the ice broke off quickly and everything was fine.
Might also check if you just lost a balancing weight - it's generally pretty obvious where one was if it's gone.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:23 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Flat spotting. Do you drive the car routinely, or park it in excess of 10 days? Some tires are more prone to flat spotting over shorter periods of time than others.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:58 AM
buddy911t
Pro

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Flat spotting. Do you drive the car routinely, or park it in excess of 10 days? Some tires are more prone to flat spotting over shorter periods of time than others.
I drive the car almost every day. I know the condition your talking about, it lasts only a few miles. I'm running Contis that have about half their life left. It's really not a very bad shake, wondering if the car is so sensitive to road that it's just picking up imperfections in the surface. I'm pretty new to the modern Porsche experience, it could just be the way they feel at speed.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:25 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by buddy911t
I drive the car almost every day. I know the condition your talking about, it lasts only a few miles. I'm running Contis that have about half their life left. It's really not a very bad shake, wondering if the car is so sensitive to road that it's just picking up imperfections in the surface. I'm pretty new to the modern Porsche experience, it could just be the way they feel at speed.
No, it's the tires. Almost certainly. I went through the same phase with the set of tires on this car when we bought it. Like you, I wasn't familiar with modern Porsches and couldn't be sure, but it was the tires.

Gary
Old 03-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by buddy911t
What I've been told can happen is the new tires are balanced. The car is used. The new tires become used tires, worn tires, but not yet worn out.

But the wear removes heavy spots (in the tread) and then the tire is out of balance.

Techs tell me this is real problem with Cayennes -- the tires are bigger -- but they've seen it with the tires on the cars too.

If the tires are properly inflated, showing no signs of damage, or odd wear -- feel the tire tread! -- then I'd think about having the tires rebalanced before throwing larger sums of money at the symptom.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:29 PM
buddy911t
Pro

Originally Posted by Macster
What I've been told can happen is the new tires are balanced. The car is used. The new tires become used tires, worn tires, but not yet worn out.

But the wear removes heavy spots (in the tread) and then the tire is out of balance.

Techs tell me this is real problem with Cayennes -- the tires are bigger -- but they've seen it with the tires on the cars too.

If the tires are properly inflated, showing no signs of damage, or odd wear -- feel the tire tread! -- then I'd think about having the tires rebalanced before throwing larger sums of money at the symptom.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Thanks, looks like I'll just fork over the eighty bucks for rear balance. I just hate it when they say " balance was good" but you pay anyway.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:38 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Are the tires simply old? You know, where the rubber simply isn't live anymore. I had a set of Continentals on a back up set of rims and they were the worst tires after they were aged.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:48 AM
buddy911t
Pro

the tires seem fine, don't appear old or in bad condition. The car was a CPO two months ago so I figured the balance or any other issues would have been addressed.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:55 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Bent wheel, perhaps?
Old 10-31-2016, 11:59 AM
berkangunel
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question

hello - I see this is a really dated thread but I'm having the same exact problem and went through all the same steps you listed. The car is CPO 991 C2S. Were you able to find the cause of this problem and fix it? It gets very scary around 100+ mph.

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2016, 03:29 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by berkangunel
hello - I see this is a really dated thread but I'm having the same exact problem and went through all the same steps you listed. The car is CPO 991 C2S. Were you able to find the cause of this problem and fix it? It gets very scary around 100+ mph.

Thanks!
You might need new tires. I have the same issue, problem went away after I got new tires.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:14 AM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Had the same and after 2 tries balancing did away with the vibrations.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:14 AM
lurchphil
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I would recommend Road Force balancing the rear tires. I tried a brand new set of 4 Bridgestone S04 tires and they were so bad that the dealer could not balance them with their Road Force machine. I returned the set to TireRack. They were very professional and returned my payment very quickly. I replaced the tires with a slightly used set of Michelin Super Sports and they are as smooth as silk after Road Force balancing. It can be the tires or just balancing. Good luck!

Quick Reply: high speed Vibrations