Sponsored by:

San Diego to Denver Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chinole
BTW, are there any openings at your work? Seems like a nice company to work in....
I wish it was alway like this... off to El Paso on Monday and Houston later in the week... back to long hours, conference rooms, and away from the family
Old 03-11-2012, 05:55 PM
mzn50
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice and entertaining.. Thanks for posting..
So question, did the Saran wrap go on easy and stayed on.. When you removed it.. Did it leave any residue ?

Thanks again

Matt
Old 03-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Congrats on the car and a great maiden voyage!
Old 03-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mzn50
So question, did the Saran wrap go on easy and stayed on.. When you removed it.. Did it leave any residue ?
I used carpet runner plastic that I bought at the lowes... went one very easy, stayed on quite well and was easy to remove without leaving any residue. Highly recommended
Old 03-11-2012, 10:16 PM
BC-997
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice travelog Dutchie and very nice example of a 997S.
Cheers
Greg
Old 03-11-2012, 10:26 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I've made two similarly long trips in 997's up and down the west coast between OC and Vancouver, and each time I fall more in love with these cars. Long road trips are a great way to bond with these cars, and allow you to truly appreciate all their attributes. They are comfortable, responsive, sporty, roomy enough for trip luggage, and a joy to drive.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:57 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I learned recently that the tire pressure monitors changed from as of 2009 or 2010... Put my winter wheels from my 2008 c4s on my new 2011 c4s and they are not compatible. Not worth spending the money to get new sensors just for the winter wheels. You may want to check if the wheels were switched on your car at some point - may be the same incompatibility problem.
Thanks for the write up and pics from the drive. Ping me if you want to grab a coffee in Denver area sometime. I will also get you plugged in to the guys at Stevinson- I think you will be very happy with their service.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RollingArt
I could be wrong, but I'm thinking you're on your own for the TPMS. The batteries inside the tires are 4 years old now, and probably the cause of the problem. I doubt the batteries are covered under CPO. You'll need 4 new sensors ($400), and all the tires dismounted, new sensors installed, then all the tires remounted and balanced ($100).

Good luck, hope I'm wrong and Dr. Porsche covers the repairs.
Dr. Porsche does cover the repairs... had two dead sensors; local dealer replaced them under CPO... not bad
Old 03-17-2012, 07:28 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Great pics but what the hell with the saran wrap?? You drove your brand new vehicle with that stuff on it? I would have suffered a few sand particles rather than drive looking like that....
Old 03-17-2012, 07:34 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutchie in NC
Dr. Porsche does cover the repairs... had two dead sensors; local dealer replaced them under CPO... not bad
Good for the doctor.

Glad I has wrong for once!

Originally Posted by vern1
Great pics but what the hell with the saran wrap?? You drove your brand new vehicle with that stuff on it? I would have suffered a few sand particles rather than drive looking like that....
I hear ya.

That wrap would just about ruin the drive for me.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Not sure if anyof you has ever drove I70 from the westlop to Denver duringthe winter months... road has a ridiculous amount of gravel, small stones, etc on it because of all the snow. in the two winters we have been here, the number of times safelight has to come over to fill up holes in windshields has been numerous.

Figured I rather drive with the saran wrap for a couple of hours versus getting a number of rock chips. Agree it doesnt look pretty.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:49 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Drove mine from Vancouver to Toronto in early May last year. Lots of mountain passes etc. Maybe its just me but couldnt have driven with that stuff on it. Did u put a bra on it when you got back as otherwise the sands of time will have the same effect

Road trips are great!
Old 03-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Haven't put a bra on it yet... not sure I will. I won't be driving it crazy miles and have a daily driver as well. Agree road trips are great.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:39 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Drove mine from Vancouver to Toronto in early May last year. Lots of mountain passes etc. Maybe its just me but couldnt have driven with that stuff on it. Did u put a bra on it when you got back as otherwise the sands of time will have the same effect

Road trips are great!
Having driven in Denver for one winter, I agree with the OP's choice to protect his car. It is criminal how much course sand they put on the highways there. So many cars have chipped windshields and paint. I don't think they sand the highways in Canada like that. If there is sand, it is likely much finer and less damaging.

When I found my current car on Autotrader 2 years ago, it was at a Denver Porsche dealer. The first thing I feared was paint chips, so I arranged for a local forum member to check it out and report back to me before I made the trip to see it for myself.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FWIW, the temporary carpet runner from home depot is clear rather than the blue tint from Lowes.

Quick Reply: San Diego to Denver Trip Report