Sponsored by:

... is PASM worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ... is PASM worth it?

Looking for a used 997 and just wondering about the Active Suspension. Ideally I want a Carrera S (which has the PASM), but I might go for a lower mileage regular Carrera (if there is such a thing) that doesn't have the PASM. But some have it as an option, I guess.

My question: is PASM on a "regular" Carrera worth it? Do you really notice a difference?

Marlon
Old 03-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, night and day difference. You will feel a difference in braking, acceleration, and cornering.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:35 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

cornering - I see... but not sure how it affects acceleration or braking.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:42 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PASM is a pretty good system, getting better the newer the 997 gets. If you only drive on the street (no track) I wouldn't pass up a good clean used Carrera that lacked PASM. IMO it is too harsh for daily driving, and while I have it, I almost never use it.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

Well, if the fronts stiffen up during braking or the rears while accelerating, I can see it make a big diff, right?
Old 03-07-2012, 07:26 PM
zanwar
Pro

Cars equipped with PASM have a noticeably smoother ride when driven under the "normal" setting. If you have the choice, it's worth it.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Originally Posted by PasPar2
cornering - I see... but not sure how it affects acceleration or braking.
Your new avatar is much better.

PASM improves the handling performance which improves the overall feel of the car during cornering, braking and accelerating.

Last edited by Spokane5150; 03-08-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Originally Posted by Marlon Targa 86
Well, if the fronts stiffen up during braking or the rears while accelerating, I can see it make a big diff, right?
I noticed that the doesn't squat or dive when accelerating and braking. I feel the performance everywhere and typically drive with PASM "On" all the time. I love it! My nephew rode with me to the store the other day and he said, "Wow....this thing really feels like a sports car."

Last edited by Spokane5150; 03-08-2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: My spelling is atrocious!
Old 03-07-2012, 10:47 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Just to clear up a common misconception - there is no "on" or "off" for the PASM system. PASM is always on. The switch allows you to change between PASM "normal" and PASM "sport." So I assume that when people say "on" they actually mean "sport." But the PASM's features of an electronic damping control system are always functioning.

The same applies if the car is equipped with the "sport PASM" (aka "SPASM") suspension. SPASM is the same as PASM, except that the car sits 20 mm lower and the regular SPASM setting is a little stiffer than the regular PASM; the sport setting for SPASM is stiffer than PASM's sport setting; and whether the PASM "sport" setting is softer or stiffer than the SPASM "regular" setting is beyond me!

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S
Old 03-08-2012, 09:06 AM
johnwb
Racer

The "sport" mode is great on the track or if you want a more aggressive feel on the street.
I find it generally too uncomfortable for regular use on the street. I love it on the track.
I also like the S brakes and added HP for the track.

If you're looking for a great DD, you don't need PASM or an S.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I've got it but really don't use it for regular driving. I'd notice it more if I tracked the car, but I dont.

Saying that....I'd still buy an S over the reg carrera. Better selling options for the future.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Originally Posted by DMoore
Just to clear up a common misconception - there is no "on" or "off" for the PASM system. PASM is always on. The switch allows you to change between PASM "normal" and PASM "sport." So I assume that when people say "on" they actually mean "sport." But the PASM's features of an electronic damping control system are always functioning.

The same applies if the car is equipped with the "sport PASM" (aka "SPASM") suspension. SPASM is the same as PASM, except that the car sits 20 mm lower and the regular SPASM setting is a little stiffer than the regular PASM; the sport setting for SPASM is stiffer than PASM's sport setting; and whether the PASM "sport" setting is softer or stiffer than the SPASM "regular" setting is beyond me!

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S
True....I also understand that the car will adjust automatically depending on the driving condition.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by IslandS52
PASM is a pretty good system, getting better the newer the 997 gets. If you only drive on the street (no track) I wouldn't pass up a good clean used Carrera that lacked PASM. IMO it is too harsh for daily driving, and while I have it, I almost never use it.
I disagree. If your car has it, you do use it every time you drive the car.
What you don't likely use much is the 'sport' setting of the PASM system, that is the stiffer setting. Agreed there, that its not much fun on bumpy (ie average) roads.

But, the softer normal mode of PASM, from what I remember seeing on a graph compared to the factory non PASM equiped springs and shocks, is actually a smoother, softer ride than non-PASM springs/shocks. So I'd say you get a ride that better smooths out the crappy roads we have by having a PASM car and just leaving it in normal mode.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:34 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Here we are again. We all like the benefits pasm gives us, more comfort on rough roads but when porsche gives us an even more comfortable ride, an in the 991 we complain that its not ansports car anymore. That the p car has become limp and more a gt. we are a funny bunch. Have a 997.2 but love the ride of a 991 not to mention its speed. Sorry is my comment out of line? To the op on the contrary, for a daily driver you need a car with pasm. Its the system that makes the pcar suitable for daily use. Our cars are sports cars first and foremost the pasm is the system that gives it the dual personality of a dd.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:03 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
I disagree. If your car has it, you do use it every time you drive the car.
What you don't likely use much is the 'sport' setting of the PASM system, that is the stiffer setting. Agreed there, that its not much fun on bumpy (ie average) roads.

But, the softer normal mode of PASM, from what I remember seeing on a graph compared to the factory non PASM equiped springs and shocks, is actually a smoother, softer ride than non-PASM springs/shocks. So I'd say you get a ride that better smooths out the crappy roads we have by having a PASM car and just leaving it in normal mode.
good point. I stand corrected.

Quick Reply: ... is PASM worth it?