Sponsored by:

NYC/CT/MA- summer tires yet?

Old 03-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum
The big problem is grip.
It is truly scary entering a turn with summer tires in the cold weather.
All you need is one time experiencing that and it's enough.

Now CAN you drive on summer tires all year?
Of course, and being careful you SHOULD be fine.
But... is it worth it? What if you have to do an emergency stop?
I think you are overselling this a bit.

Sure, the grip is not as good as when its hot out, but at the average temp of about 40 degrees, summer tires still perform just fine in emergency stops.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:26 PM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like others, never took my PS2s off. On dry warm (ish) days - of which there have been many this winter - I take it out. This winter was the best as far as that goes in the 4 years I've owned it.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

Sure, the grip is not as good as when its hot out, but at the average temp of about 40 degrees, summer tires still perform just fine in emergency stops.

I respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:20 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well regardless of differences still a good thread, thanks. May have saved more than one A$$.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:21 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Heated debate here.. I guess I should've worded this a bit better. I was really asking if anyone was betting that it was going to stay late 30's F or warmer in NYC from here on out.

Does anyone have a grip vs. temp chart for PS2s?
Old 03-06-2012, 01:21 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

I also disagree. I've been caught out in summer tires in cold spring temps when the pavement is still much colder than the air. Add in some moisture (snow melting on pavement) and it's down right scary how limited the traction is of the summer tires in those conditions. I did it once (changed too early to summer tires) and I'll never do it again. Mid April for me at the earliest to change over here in Wisconsin...

It may be getting warm, but Mother Nature can pull one of her surprises at any time and catch you and the weathermen off guard...

Running the winter tires in warm temps and wearing them down a bit more is cheaper than the body work bill after you hit something...
Old 03-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Skibum
Banned

Originally Posted by Jay H
I also disagree. I've been caught out in summer tires in cold spring temps when the pavement is still much colder than the air. Add in some moisture (snow melting on pavement) and it's down right scary how limited the traction is of the summer tires in those conditions. I did it once (changed too early to summer tires) and I'll never do it again. Mid April for me at the earliest to change over here in Wisconsin...

It may be getting warm, but Mother Nature can pull one of her surprises at any time and catch you and the weathermen off guard...

Running the winter tires in warm temps and wearing them down a bit more is cheaper than the body work bill after you hit something...
+1
Old 03-06-2012, 09:07 PM
911ct
Track Day

I had MPSS the whole winter(central Connecticut). I used my car as a DD(unless snow was on the ground) and my commute is 70 miles round trip. I drove in temp as low as 7F. I did not push the car and I did not experienced any loss of traction. The noticeable thing was the very stiff ride.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:18 AM
Skibum
Banned

It would be great if the SS were better in low temps. That will be my next tire.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum
It would be great if the SS were better in low temps. That will be my next tire.
That would be excellent if a tire could be made that performed very well in all conditions, but there are just too many variables in temps, moisture and road surfaces to have one tire do it all. Hence the All Season category that we like here in the US for most normal cars, but are scorned by performance car owners. There are too many compromises in most all season tires on our cars when we are pushing the limits.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It is possible to drive in wintertime conditions on summer tires, if you don't hit snow. I used to do it myself. However, nobody should get the idea that this is a good practice. All it took was one incident to convince me of the necessity of winter tires. I got caught in an unexpected snowfall on my summer tires and I found myself with zero--and I mean zero--traction in the snow. I couldn't even climb the slightest grade without tires spinning wildly. Eventually I slid off the side of the road and had to be towed out. Even without snow, your braking distances on cold surfaces in an emergency stop are going to be significantly extended. All my cars now use winter tires in winter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NYC/CT/MA- summer tires yet?