Sponsored by:

Do all GTS cars have centerlock wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:47 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
The GTS is (was) available with only two wheel choices. The standard wheel is the RS Spyder Wheels with Center Locking. The only other wheel available is the Carrera Sport. The standard wheel color for both wheels is black. Silver is an option for either wheel, as is the "Painted in Exterior Color" option.

Check out the configurator. The GTS variants are still listed.
His answer is correct. From the Porsche site on features of the GTS:

As standard, the 911 Carrera GTS models are fitted with 19-inch RS Spyder wheels with center spokes and rim well in a black painted finish.

The main feature of these forged aluminum alloy wheels is the central locking device – a clear reference to the world of motorsport. Compared with the conventional five-bolt wheel connection, it offers enhanced driving dynamics and performance thanks to the reduction in rotating masses.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:21 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a feeling that by the time when I find used reasonably priced gts with 6 speed and 5 lugs my wife will spend all money on something else.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:46 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

SUch bs. The cl wheels are useless. My .02
Old 03-03-2012, 06:09 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by rcg412
Why? If you track your car and need to change wheels frequently, the CL's could be a pain. But for me and most others that don't frequently track their car, or maybe never track the car, the CLs are nice. They look good and make the GTS a little different than the regular Carrera. The CLs are also forged which is nice. I agree that they do not really provide a significant mechanical advantage over regular wheels, but I happen to like mine, as do many others.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:12 AM
TKO
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxter
I'm not sure why, but I find this hilarious.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:42 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Why? If you track your car and need to change wheels frequently, the CL's could be a pain. But for me and most others that don't frequently track their car, or maybe never track the car, the CLs are nice. They look good and make the GTS a little different than the regular Carrera. The CLs are also forged which is nice. I agree that they do not really provide a significant mechanical advantage over regular wheels, but I happen to like mine, as do many others.
I think you make his point - the reason for CLs is that they are supposed to be easier to change quickly - 1 bolt instead of 5 - hence their use in motorsports and the track-inspired GT models. But the reality is, for a street car they are more of a hassle, and all about vanity.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:48 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

There are some advantages to the CL wheels. They are forged and are lighter and stronger than other Porsche factory alloys. Also, given that a special tool and 444 ft/lbs of torque are required to remove them, they are unlikely to be stolen.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:19 PM
J.G. Rausa
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul,
I've got your car. 2011 GTS, 6 speed, GT Silver, full leather, 5 lug Carrera Sports in black, unfortunately it won't be for sale for awhile. I agonized over the wheel selection when I ordered the car. If the CL were of the "air gun removable" style (like Cup Cars), I would have jumped on them. I knew ease of removal would be an issue for me. I've had the wheels off/on at least 5 times in the past year (bleed brakes, tape wheel weights, detail inside of wheel, etc) and I have a set of CCW (in 18") coming this week with some dedicated AX rubber. No doubt you are correct that the 5 lug option is rare on the GTS. Good luck in your search.
Joe
Old 03-04-2012, 09:32 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

You can probably switch over from center lock to 5 lug pretty easily if you can round up the parts. I believe you'll just need the "wheel carrier" part all around. Or if you can find someone with a widebody car they may want to trade you. A competent shop should be able to make the trade in about 4 hours of labor. I guess you'll both need an alignment after that.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:43 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I think you make his point - the reason for CLs is that they are supposed to be easier to change quickly - 1 bolt instead of 5 - hence their use in motorsports and the track-inspired GT models. But the reality is, for a street car they are more of a hassle, and all about vanity.
Exatly. I lose my track tires and winter tires. Also I would need to buy all the tools to change wheels, when the five nuts work great.

If you want OEM forged, get the turbo wheels.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:59 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_rich
You can probably switch over from center lock to 5 lug pretty easily if you can round up the parts. I believe you'll just need the "wheel carrier" part all around. Or if you can find someone with a widebody car they may want to trade you. A competent shop should be able to make the trade in about 4 hours of labor. I guess you'll both need an alignment after that.
it is not very easy and not exactly cheap, as i understand it is a job in area of $600-$1K per corner including labor.

if i will not find GTS in my specs before this season starts then most likely i will keep driving this '06 car until its end... not if it would be an end of the world, of course, it`s just a car, after all.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:31 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
No. My point is that if you don't change the wheels often, or not at all for me until I need new tires, the CLs are not a pain. Sure, if you are always removing the wheels to change to winter tires, or track tires, the CLs would be a pain, but not so for street use with infrequent changes. I've had my GTS for 9 months and not needed to remove the wheels.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:14 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
No. My point is that if you don't change the wheels often, or not at all for me until I need new tires, the CLs are not a pain. Sure, if you are always removing the wheels to change to winter tires, or track tires, the CLs would be a pain, but not so for street use with infrequent changes. I've had my GTS for 9 months and not needed to remove the wheels.
But then you agree there is no benefit. Do you feel the minuscule rotating mass weight reduction on public roads?

I guess my point is that It's all aesthetics.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:22 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

But then you agree there is no benefit. Do you feel the minuscule rotating mass weight reduction on public roads?

I guess my point is that It's all aesthetics.
Yep, I agree.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_rich
There is an entire write-up on the process (with pictures) and parts needed in the February issue of Excellence. The conversion was for GT3 CL's to a 5 lug set up but I suppose that the conversion is very much the same for a GTS. The article listed the parts required (mostly from Sun Coast) as "$1,954.62 with race stud upgrade, less cost of new five-lug wheels", and "Total Price, Labor[:] $1,500 ($125/hour x 12 hours)"

The article lists the parts needed (GT3 conversion) as:
1. Two front wheel hubs ($326.80 each)
2. Two Front Wheel bearings ($88.70 each)
3. Two rear wheel hubs ($359.32 each)
4. Two Rear wheel bearings ($113.49 each)
5. Porsche Lug bolts - 20 @ 7.43 each = 148.60 or Apex Track Studs and steel nuts @ $168 total

Quick Reply: Do all GTS cars have centerlock wheels?