Sponsored by:

Air Bag Deactivation Switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 04:44 PM
kev_song
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Bag Deactivation Switch

Just curious if anyone has this installed in their 997.1? My son rides in the back of the cab, but I think he would prefer his booster in the front seat with the top down when out with his dad. Any pro/cons to this set up?
Old 02-27-2012, 06:45 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I had this installed on my old '08 C2S because my then eight year-old daughter fit better in the front (and with a booster I made was just tall enough to fit safely in the seat w/ seatbelt). But what is it that you are asking? I was never in accident so I can't tell you if it really did deactivate the airbags. As you know, a regularly configured seat comes with a weight trigger that arms the airbags. I didn't trust that. The manual deactivation is simply a switch that you key fits into that is located on the right side of the front dash/door jamb and is covered by the door panel when the door is closed. Turn the key one way it is on (air bags deactivated), turn the key the other way it is off. In the car, when you have the manual over-ride on the light that says "Passenger Airbag Off" will always stay lit. The thing is, sometimes you forget that it is on and when you have an adult in the front they have no airbag protection.

Insofar as installation is concerned I can't remember what I paid, I think it was $325 at the dealer but they quoted me the wrong price. It should have been something like $450. This was because they had to take the front seat out (sport seats - not Adaptive Sports seats but regular old sports seats) for whatever reason to do the install (probably to get at the wiring?). I don't think they lost money on the deal - I'm sure they would have made me pay more if it took six hours to do the job.

If you really care I may have a picture of it but it is on my other (retired) computer so it is not very handy.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:43 PM
kev_song
Instructor

Thanks Tcc. I don't trust the weight trigger either. I'd rather know that the airbags are off. I think you answered my questions. I wanted to know how involved the install process was and ball park how much it was to install. Thanks again!
Old 02-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

yep, installed on my '06S at time of purchase. (and, noticing a price quote above, apparently got SCREWED royally by the stealership at the time.)

no complaints.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:01 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the airbag disable kit installed a couple of months ago. It was quite expensive, around $800 all in. It included installation of LATCH connectors in the front seat. To disable the airbag, you have to use the ignition key to set the airbag switch to off and you also have to plug in the seatbelt. This is an important step to remember if you are connecting an infant seat to the LATCH anchors, as the seatbelt isn't involved. I have to plug in a dummy seatbelt buckle to force the airbag to disarm. You must get into the habit of checking the airbag disable light before you drive away to confirm you have the right setup.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:04 AM
cibergypsy
Instructor

I have had it on my car too since early in my ownership. For peace of mind, I think it is worth it.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:09 AM
kev_song
Instructor

I don't need Latch as my son is using a Recaro booster, which fits in the back seat great. But its not great when he's back there and we get up to highway speed. Or me with out the wind deflector. I also think he gets a headache from time to time form being next to the engine and PSE on. I feel he'd be safer up fronts well. Thanks guys for all the feedback!

Quick Reply: Air Bag Deactivation Switch