Sponsored by:

Mobile 1 or Pennzoil

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobile 1 or Pennzoil

My Porsche Dealer here in Nashville uses the Pennzoil Ultra 5w-40 Euro Blend. I've always used Mobile 1 mainly for its reputation and the ease of finding it. The Pennzoil is difficult to find but it is 5w-40 vs. 0w-40 Mobile 1. According to the service writer....the dealership prefers 5w-40.

Any thought?
Old 02-26-2012, 11:39 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
My Porsche Dealer here in Nashville uses the Pennzoil Ultra 5w-40 Euro Blend. I've always used Mobile 1 mainly for its reputation and the ease of finding it. The Pennzoil is difficult to find but it is 5w-40 vs. 0w-40 Mobile 1. According to the service writer....the dealership prefers 5w-40.

Any thought?
They must have better pricing from the Pennzoil distributor so that's what they sell. My dealer in Austin (even with the hot summers) stays with M1 0W-40.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Don't sweat it. My info is Pennzoil-Quaker State Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40 Full Synthetic Motor Oil is an approved oil, its approval good to 01-11-2013.

0w-40 oil is recommended for use in temps below -25C, and is ok for use in temps above that as well.

Chances are high the Nashville area doesn't get that many days of sub -25C temps.

Also, my info is the price PCNA charges for fluids is going up, has gone up. Shipping costs are very high too. (PCNA apparently hasn't worked out a deal with just one shipper, but uses several (3 or 4) and pays a premium for this. Well, check that. The dealers pay a premium for this, because the dealers pay for shipping. Some pass this along, but some do not. But the trade off is the parts can sometimes get to the dealer quicker.)

Anyhow, it would not surprise me a dealer has gone to an oil it can (I assume) get for less than the Mobil1 0w-40 oil.

Also, if the dealer is part of a dealer group (owned by one corporation) the dealers to save money will sometimes select an oil that suits all of the car makes under the corporate umbrella.

Just be thankful an approved oil was chosen vs. some 5w-20 oil...

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Porsche dealer will up-charge $50 for Mobile 1 on top of $185 so I thought I do it myself after 4k miles this time. I'll pay the $185 for the Maintenance Dealer Computer Reset. Ferrari uses the Pennzoil according to the web site so it must be as good if not better than Mobile 1.

Originally Posted by Macster
Don't sweat it. My info is Pennzoil-Quaker State Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40 Full Synthetic Motor Oil is an approved oil, its approval good to 01-11-2013.

0w-40 oil is recommended for use in temps below -25C, and is ok for use in temps above that as well.

Chances are high the Nashville area doesn't get that many days of sub -25C temps.

Also, my info is the price PCNA charges for fluids is going up, has gone up. Shipping costs are very high too. (PCNA apparently hasn't worked out a deal with just one shipper, but uses several (3 or 4) and pays a premium for this. Well, check that. The dealers pay a premium for this, because the dealers pay for shipping. Some pass this along, but some do not. But the trade off is the parts can sometimes get to the dealer quicker.)

Anyhow, it would not surprise me a dealer has gone to an oil it can (I assume) get for less than the Mobil1 0w-40 oil.

Also, if the dealer is part of a dealer group (owned by one corporation) the dealers to save money will sometimes select an oil that suits all of the car makes under the corporate umbrella.

Just be thankful an approved oil was chosen vs. some 5w-20 oil...

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Better or worse I don't know. All I know is it is an approved oil.

My local Porsche dealer has raised its oil prices and my next oil change will have me supplying the oil to save some money so you are not alone in that.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Mobile 1 or Pennzoil