Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody successfully touched up their Carrera Sport wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 04:56 PM
403portside
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Anybody successfully touched up their Carrera Sport wheels?

With the GT Silver paint. What's the paint code?

Thinking about buying a set, that is mint except for one wheel that has a small nick (1/4th the length of a dime) that I was hoping to just touch up with GT silver paint.

Related question, I assume I can re-use the TPMS and wheel bolts/locks from my Carrera Classics?

TIA.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

It's not that simple. Do a search. The Carrera Sport wheel is the only non-BBS or Fuchs wheel provided on the 997 and the lip is machined. With a machined finish it's not a matter of simply covering up something with a little "GT Silver." The lip is not covered with GT Silver. It's machined and then clear-coated. If the flaw is dimensionally as you suggest--just live with it. (If it's a rear wheel, put it on your right rear position and the next time you're in a curbing situation you can have it refinished. Always refinish them in pairs--all of one side or the other to avoid one that stands out).

Of course, all the TPMS items are reusable.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:04 PM
403portside
Rennlist Member

The nick is on one of the spokes, not the lip. Should have clarified.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:18 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

you should have a paint shop do a color match. but artic silver is a common substitute.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:47 PM
403portside
Rennlist Member

For a small nick? Why not just use the exact same color that the wheels are - GT Silver?
Old 02-25-2012, 10:23 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 403portside
For a small nick? Why not just use the exact same color that the wheels are - GT Silver?
Yes, GT Silver. Many aren't aware that the Carrera Sport wheel spokes are painted GT Silver.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:29 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Yes, GT Silver. Many aren't aware that the Carrera Sport wheel spokes are painted GT Silver.
I am! I am! As usual, Tim, you are absolutely right. GT Silver.

And to the OP: I'm knocking on wood as I type this, and no need to touch up mine so far, but don't see any reason why you couldn't if it's just a spoke.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:45 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
It's not that simple. Do a search. The Carrera Sport wheel is the only non-BBS or Fuchs wheel provided on the 997 and the lip is machined. With a machined finish it's not a matter of simply covering up something with a little "GT Silver." The lip is not covered with GT Silver. It's machined and then clear-coated. If the flaw is dimensionally as you suggest--just live with it. (If it's a rear wheel, put it on your right rear position and the next time you're in a curbing situation you can have it refinished. Always refinish them in pairs--all of one side or the other to avoid one that stands out).

Of course, all the TPMS items are reusable.
So, how do you touch-up/refinish the machined lip? I got a few curb rashes on that and have been avoiding taking it in, as I am nto sure if they can do a good job of touch-up/re-finish...
Old 02-26-2012, 01:36 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

There are two approaches to refinishing the machined lip. An artificial way, and the real way.

The artificial way uses a paint that sort of matches the coloration of the machined surface. They use that to hide the repair.

The real way involves a much more invasive surgery. It will be either TIG welded to add material (if that bad) and then machined back to match the rest of that circumference. Then it will be clear coated--while the painted portions will remain GT Silver.

The price you pay reflects the work you have done.

Some true experts can do the cheaper method and some will swear you can't tell the difference. (At any rate, make sure both wheels on the same side are done so they match).

I had a couple of mine refinished--method two. Costlier, but more correct.

With all the modern day Porsche drivers tending toward 'curb rash' their solution to go with cast wheels, painted silver, seems to keep the costs down. But then, occasionally, someone opts for the Carrera Sports, and then it's back to the more complicated repair methods.
Attached Images   
Old 02-26-2012, 09:16 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 150 Likes on 123 Posts

I have some scrapes on one wheel (Lobster claw) and am thinking to have the lips polished and clear coated....probably wait till new tire time...
Old 02-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I had two little rough scrapes on my wheels when I purchased the car. Both about 8mm long and on the edge lip.
Here's what I did and it turned out really good.

I took an exactoknife and removed the roughness out of the defect carefuly, which left smooth edges from which I built up with matching paint....and it looks great !
Old 02-26-2012, 12:29 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I called Dr. Colorchip and they sent me a kit for the wheels. No number, 'wheels' is written on the cap.
The guy said he has sent out several kits for Porsche wheels. Haven't used the kit yet so I don't know how good the match is.
Old 10-20-2021, 02:35 PM
MDZ87
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a wheel touch up kit from SuncoastParts, and it works great on my 997 lobster wheels

Old 10-20-2021, 03:38 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,885 Likes on 2,889 Posts

I posted a Thread years ago when I restored the wheels on one of my 993's
I used a 2 part epoxy to fill in any gouges and then a special paint which was "Wurth Silber Silver" Spray cans that laid down a perfect match for the silver wheels and their matching clear coat
They turned out great and I only had to spray a small area and the match was spot on.
I tried finding that wheel paint a few years ago and I think they may stopped making it but the match was excellent for most Porsche OEM wheels.

Found Post:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ir-photos.html

Last edited by groovzilla; 10-20-2021 at 03:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MDZ87 (10-20-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 05:45 PM
texass4
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

Re: using your existing TPMS sensors -

yes you can, but if they’re older just get new ones. They’re fairly cheap and you’d kick yourself if the batteries in your older units died prematurely, causing you to yank all of the tires and replace them again. Time and money spent at the tire shop when you could be out driving.

Quick Reply: Anybody successfully touched up their Carrera Sport wheels?