Sponsored by:

Officially in Boston now.........wish my car was here already

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

There's a reason New Hampshire is called the "Granite State." Every skier knows what I'm talking about!
Old 02-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm certain the job justifies the move, but man, SF is one of the prettiest, most livable cities in the world. Boston isn't even on the radar for me.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Well I think we have all done a good job scaring him, not intentionally by the way. But seriously, many people do love it here and if you like the seasons, the city and boating/sailing it really is ideal.

Having said that I don't sail, I don't love boating and although I like skiing I can't stand the brutal cold on the mountains. I'm not a fan of winter either, I guess 18 years in upstate NY was enough for me.

Take your time, get to know the area and then decide if you want to jump in.

If I'm still around this spring I look forward to meeting you at a PCA event or some other car event.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:52 PM
rajtw
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 997at
Guys,
After months of anticipating the move, I am now finally in Boston. I have relocated for work from the SF Bay Area. We're still looking for the right home to buy which could take a few months. My 997 won't be shipped out until July.............miss her already. I decided to go the route of picking up a "winter/daily" driver.......picked up a new 328i Xdrive. I had forgotten how great the 3 series cars are.....loving it so far, although it looks like I won't get to test it in snow and ice this year with the balmy winter. Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting some of the Porsche guys in the area this summer.
Congrats, I have a couple of nephews that moved there from LA. Went to visit them last Spring Break. Man, you thought LA traffic was bad. Hope you can find some room to let her loose.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Originally Posted by Aerokitted
I'm certain the job justifies the move, but man, SF is one of the prettiest, most livable cities in the world. Boston isn't even on the radar for me.
I've moved my family 3-times in the last 15 years. Detroit to Chicago, then Spokane, WA, and now in Nashville. I know what your say'n....I miss my friends and I miss the Mountains. However, we are now closer to family and making new and good friends. You'll do the same.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:36 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 33 Posts

Wow guys.....................tell me how you really feel about Boston.
Firstly let me tell you that the move was not a question of "Do I prefer SF or Boston?". It was more like "SF = no job, Boston = great job" So, that being said I can't offer too much perspective having only visited Boston for two or three extended stays from November till now.
As with any place, it depends on your perspective and what floats your boat. I can tell you this much from my perspective so far:
Bad traffic is bad traffic - I've seen and driven in the worst of it here, and it is categorically no worse than what I used to face on Hwy 880 in the Bay Area each day. I actually think the city of Boston is beautiful..............very different from SF, but beautiful nonetheless. The sense of history and tradition is palpable, and I can envision many weekend excursions with the kids to see it all. We potentially plan to locate near the water, and in a larger home and property than we have in the Bay Area.......this is not a bad thing.
Also, and I can say this with conviction - public education is FAR superior in the good locations around Boston than anything you will find in CA period! I have kids, and this matters to me. Boston is the higher education hub of the US, and has a strong arts and music culture, all good in my book. Also, and perhaps this is a minor point, CA is a financial train wreck, and I was always worried about when the impact of this might be felt, and how. (That being said, we will very probably keep our home in CA.)
OK, the winters will be harsh...............if it was so unbearable, no one would live here or any other cold location for that matter. Again a matter of perspecitve and preference. I don't want to pass judgement too soon since I haven't lived here yet for any length of time, but the imost mportant things to me in life are health and family.............home is what you make of it, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it here based on what I've seen so far. I'll keep everyone updated as time passes.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:22 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

See you around!!
Hope it's an easy move.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 135 Posts

Welcome to Boston! It's a great place to live, great people, sports, access to the sea, country, mountains etc. This winter has been a snap (fingers are crossed). Hope to meet you in the near future!

Best,

Matt
Old 02-27-2012, 11:28 PM
kev_song
Instructor

Matt you just jinxed us. We're going to get a blizzard now
Old 02-28-2012, 03:35 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I made the move from the Bay Area to Boston many years ago. I loved the city but not the driving. There's no place to pahrk your cahr. Granted, at the time I lived across the street from Fenway Park. Actually, the easiest days to park were game days. Just follow the tow trucks towing the cars that didn't have a Fenway/Kenmore parking sticker. Oh, and watch out for the rim-bending potholes along the T lines. I'm sure there's gotta be some great driving roads outside the city. I just didn't have the time or the car to discover them when I lived there.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:38 AM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

When I visited Boston I loved it, it seems like a great city. My only problem was that no one pronounces the letter R. Growing up in Michigan my whole life, that is a problem.

The good thing is you can get very fresh Sam Adams.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:36 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default funny

Your comments ranking all Boston (and new england) has to offer based on rotaries, having 4 seasons and some bad traffic spots is pathetic and shows you truly did live a sheltered live during your time here......

I think the OP was thinking about living in Hingham Ma or Scituate or even Cohassat area of Ma if I am correct when posting prior at areas he was exploring to live. All very very nice areas....

Welcome, its a great city with a TON to offer.... anyone that lived here for years and didn't get a chance to experience that didn't really live....could have been a shut-in.

Grew up in and around Boston and now live 1hr+ away in Newport RI... but we visit Boston,+ other parts of Ma etc many times throughout the year.

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Wow--I don't miss Boston one bit! Boston is the land of traffic circles where the guy who blinks first loses, and where driving in the break-down lane is considered normal. Oh, and then there is the winter weather. I did my 6 years of Boston Purgatory. I'm glad it's behind me!
Old 02-28-2012, 06:47 PM
kev_song
Instructor

Originally Posted by 997at
Guys,
After months of anticipating the move, I am now finally in Boston. I have relocated for work from the SF Bay Area. We're still looking for the right home to buy which could take a few months. My 997 won't be shipped out until July.............miss her already. I decided to go the route of picking up a "winter/daily" driver.......picked up a new 328i Xdrive. I had forgotten how great the 3 series cars are.....loving it so far, although it looks like I won't get to test it in snow and ice this year with the balmy winter. Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting some of the Porsche guys in the area this summer.
997AT, you'll get you car just in time for a cars and coffee event at the Lars Anderson Museum on 7/28. There are also a few Porsche events there, but those dates are not posted yet.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:03 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

My wife and I agree that Boston itself is a nice place to live and has plenty to offer, especially if you live in the right places. The issue we have with Boston and New England in general is that it is a very difficult place to establish good friends. So if you didn't grow up here, didn't go to college here or you don't have family in the area you feel like an outsider. It is a very difficult place to meet like minded people because they already have a well established group of friends/family that keeps them busy. It has taken us 6 years to finally make some friends in the area. Steve, is that what you mean when you say "shut-in"

In SoCal we established very close friends within the four years we lived there and spent many weekends hanging out with friends.

That's really the biggest reason we have decided to leave, that and we prefer warmer weather.

But 997AT is right, it's what you make of it and with effort and the right attitude it can be a place to call home. Good luck with settling in and finding the right home.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:22 PM
kev_song
Instructor

Afshin, Sorry to hear that was your experience here trying to grow some roots. I'm sure the people you did try to let into your family's lives that didn't want to be let in, its their loss. my experience here has been the exact opposite, I did grow up here, but essentially started over when I moved back in the late 90's. If 997At has trouble making friends he can pm me. I'd be happy to meet up with him, you and anyone else for some drinks and laughs.

Quick Reply: Officially in Boston now.........wish my car was here already