Officially in Boston now.........wish my car was here already

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 06:13 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Officially in Boston now.........wish my car was here already

Guys,
After months of anticipating the move, I am now finally in Boston. I have relocated for work from the SF Bay Area. We're still looking for the right home to buy which could take a few months. My 997 won't be shipped out until July.............miss her already. I decided to go the route of picking up a "winter/daily" driver.......picked up a new 328i Xdrive. I had forgotten how great the 3 series cars are.....loving it so far, although it looks like I won't get to test it in snow and ice this year with the balmy winter. Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting some of the Porsche guys in the area this summer.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the right side of the country.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:43 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Congrats on the move. Time to change that avatar picture!

There are lots of car shows during the spring, summer and fall. Go to the Larz Andersen website to find out when they have events.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to Beantown!
Old 02-24-2012, 11:24 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

Welcome! Yes this has been a silly winter. It has snowed twice on the south shore. 3 inches on Friday a few weeks ago, and then 4 inches the next day, and that was all since Feb 2011.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:12 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Wow--I don't miss Boston one bit! Boston is the land of traffic circles where the guy who blinks first loses, and where driving in the break-down lane is considered normal. Oh, and then there is the winter weather. I did my 6 years of Boston Purgatory. I'm glad it's behind me!
Old 02-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Wow--I don't miss Boston one bit! Boston is the land of traffic circles where the guy who blinks first loses, and where driving in the break-down lane is considered normal. Oh, and then there is the winter weather. I did my 6 years of Boston Purgatory. I'm glad it's behind me!
Holy Cow, I was thinking the exact same thing - except I was only stuck there for two years. But the good thing about Boston was that the place made me so unhappy that my wife promised me we could move back to her home state of CA if I finished my dissertation - which I did in short order (to her dismay). I can see how many people might like it there ( I grew up in CT) - its just not an area I'd like to live under any circumstances.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:42 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

You sure you want to commit to buying there? My wife is from there. Nice to visit but after living in the bay area I couldn't handle the extreme cold and heat.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:15 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

welcome. do not hurry buying the first house you`ll find - it may take longer than you think, market right now is kinda slow.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:18 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
its just not an area I'd like to live under any circumstances.
well, still it is much better than what CA turned into now. 10 years ago i could probably agree with this, but now - no, now MA is better.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Holy Cow, I was thinking the exact same thing - except I was only stuck there for two years. But the good thing about Boston was that the place made me so unhappy that my wife promised me we could move back to her home state of CA if I finished my dissertation - which I did in short order (to her dismay). I can see how many people might like it there ( I grew up in CT) - its just not an area I'd like to live under any circumstances.
Originally Posted by daddyscar
You sure you want to commit to buying there? My wife is from there. Nice to visit but after living in the bay area I couldn't handle the extreme cold and heat.
Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing. Having lived in SoCal for a few years it really opened my eyes to a completely different lifestyle and environment.

In the few short years we were there we made many friends which we still stay in touch with. We always had something to do and we loved how friendly everyone was. We have been back in MA for almost 6 years and we are ready to leave. We haven't left because we haven't sold our home which we bought 4.5 years ago. We have the house listed for much less than we purchased it and by the time we are done the loss will be significant. I agree with others, don't rush into buying a home unless you have existing friends and family here. Otherwise I would wait and see how you like it.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:46 PM
bbbradley
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome!

Every region has plusses and minuses. As a golfer and skier I love the northeast.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
welcome. do not hurry buying the first house you`ll find - it may take longer than you think, market right now is kinda slow.
Also, and this may have changed since we were in the real estate market in Boston in the late '90's, "your" Real Estate agent represents the seller. If this is still the case they will have you sign a piece of paper acknowledging that they explained this to you. In California, your agent represents you and not the seller. It's a subtle difference but a difference nevertheless - and you never have a nagging feeling that your agent is in bed with the seller or listing agent. (I do recall that in MA you could engage a buying agent who represents you and will charge you a certain negotiated percentage of the purchase price. Rule of thumb fifteen years ago was that this only made sense if you were buying a pricey house.) It has been our experience in CA that the listing and buyers agents have a bit more adversarial relationship - at least if you have a good agent who isn't lazy. I've no experience on whether this saves you money but when it comes to inspections and contingencies, by law your agent in CA has to be all over this part of the deal representing only your interests.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:24 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bbbradley
Welcome!
As a golfer and skier I love the northeast.
Seriously?
Skiing in the northeast is garbage. Born and raised Vermonter (Stowe) here so I feel as if I can say that. You couldn't pay me money to ski in the Northeast ever again. Golf course are ok I guess but the season is just too darn short.
The traffic is hell, the roads suck. I'll be in Boston all next week and the week after for work and I'm totally dreading it. Summers are much more desirable.
Agree with the others, make sure you like it there before buying.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:39 PM
kev_song
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome... I look forward to having one more person around to wave at when driving by! As for everyone being negative about Boston, its really is a great place to live. I've lived all over the place, NY, SF, LON etc and I ended coming back here. But I like it here, its home to me, just like those who love the west coast live there. To each is own, make up your own mind. Maybe we'll meet up at an event this summer. Tcc: sellers agency has pretty much disappeared when working with buyers, unless the buyer goes direct to the listing agent. The state changed the laws a few years back. Buyers agency is the norm not the exception now.

Quick Reply: Officially in Boston now.........wish my car was here already