Sponsored by:

A Post-it Note

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 07:49 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Fin Fever
taking up 2 spaces is a sure way to get keyed or dinged or something else. Stick to one space.

here is my checklist for parking spots.

1: park at the farthest corner of the lot.
2: no car next to your parking spot. no spot in front of you (unless there is a concrete barrier)
3: planter on the right of the car
4: no wires or light fixtures directly overhead.
5: avoid flightpath between trees and water source
6: apply ding protector to door
7: if other cars are in adjacent spots, take pictures of their license plates

As you can imagine, If I go shopping with my wife, she usually wants us to take her car, due to the delays and walking involved when we take the porsche.
Minus step 6. I follow this to a T. But it's good to know I'm not the only one this crazy. Sometimes I even leave if the parking fairies aren't cooperating.

And to the OP, as others have said 2 spots is a big no no. You were very lucky to get just a post-it.

If that is your style I'd suggest trying the accidental 2 spot technique. Eg park very far away and ride the line or go just over it on one of the spots. That way it doesn't look like you are an intentional ***, just a really bad parker. this will discourage others from parking on the side you rode the line on and give good space on the other. Of course this technique can backfire and someone can teach you a lesson by parking close, but I think it is less risky than the intentional 2 spaces.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:55 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader
I'm thinkin' NJtarga4 has gotten the point by now.
Wanting to protect your beautiful car from possible door-dings doesn't make you a bad person, but...
here's something to think about.
As Porsche drivers, we all pretty much represent each other (ALL other Porsche drivers) when we're out in our cars. The stuff we do reflects on all of us. Taking up two parking spots drives people nuts. It's like leaving a sign on your car that reads, "I am so much better than the rest of you; look at my expensive sports car!"

I'm pretty sure this is how BMW drivers got their lousy reputation. The young turks in their "M" cars are among the worst drivers on the roads here in California.
Well put.

Coincidentally, I just got my first door ding . Luckily it's small and no paint scratch. It will come right out. What pissed me off was I think it was at my country club.

Any recommendations for a good service in LA..

Luckily I sold the M3
Old 02-24-2012, 07:57 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
What you need to do is park in an end space and park wide so your wheels on one side are just slightly over the parking line of the very last row. You might be slightly sticking out on the end, but you're not taking up two spaces. This still leaves a gap in case a car decides to park next to you and you won't be called an a--hole who takes up two spaces all the time.
I would not do that either. Squeezing an adjacent spot is an invitation for someone to shoehorn a car in it and ding your door.

The advice given above is the one to follow - park away from others (if possible), never use 2 spaces and never stand out. Even then, there's no guarantee - I have heard of cars parked at the end of a parking lot being keyed, because they stood out.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:53 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

always grab an end spot in any lot

reduces your chances by half

taking 2 spots almost instigates a key job - if you only got a post it, good on ya
Old 02-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to take two spots but I know it will invite problems so I try to find a spot way in the back of the parking lot.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Well I guess I'll jump in. After experiencing door dings and chips I:
1. Take two spaces in a LARGE EMPTY parking lot a LONG WAYS AWAY and walk or...
2. Park as close to a post or wall as possible or...
3. Park next to a Van with a sliding back door...
4. Take a picture of the car next door...
I've never been keyed yet and maybe I am asking for it...
Love the Post-it note... all part of our constitution
For the record, I DO NOT park in the handicap spot, as opposed to the since passed CEO who coined the phrase "Think Different" and received a Post-it note saying "Park Different" when he routinely parked in the handicap spot at his company. He also refused to put on a license plate.
But alas, I live in a city where Smart cars are parked at times perpendiculiar to the curb BETWEEN tow other cars. What can I say? For many years Starbucks had a naked women on their original logo. Maybe the phase out here is "live different".
Old 02-24-2012, 10:53 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Well I guess I'll jump in. After experiencing door dings and chips I:
1. Take two spaces in a LARGE EMPTY parking lot a LONG WAYS AWAY and walk or...
2. Park as close to a post or wall as possible or...
3. Park next to a Van with a sliding back door...
4. Take a picture of the car next door...
I've never been keyed yet and maybe I am asking for it...
Love the Post-it note... all part of our constitution
For the record, I DO NOT park in the handicap spot, as opposed to the since passed CEO who coined the phrase "Think Different" and received a Post-it note saying "Park Different" when he routinely parked in the handicap spot at his company. He also refused to put on a license plate.
But alas, I live in a city where Smart cars are parked at times perpendiculiar to the curb BETWEEN tow other cars. What can I say? For many years Starbucks had a naked women on their original logo. Maybe the phase out here is "live different".
I'm as crazy as all of you and follow a similar checklist but why take two spaces far away in a large EMPTY lot?
Old 02-24-2012, 11:13 PM
gomarlins3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no reason to take two parking spots unless your vehicle is really that big, sorry.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:23 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

One space, far away, at the end, next to a curb to protect one side... most are too lazy to walk that far.

Closer in if I'm meeting a friend or family member. I park next to them especially if they are on one side and the other side is a curb. Also like to park right in front if I can get seating in a restaurant with a window and within eye sight of my car.

When I had the bimmers... I would go for a spot with a curb on one side if available but didn't really care otherwise.

As most have mentioned... two spots around here would get more than a wordy post-it-note... more like a post-it-car with a key or knife.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:25 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whats the difference between a porcupine and a Porsche? The porcupine has the ****** on the outside.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:45 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

There ARE some advantages in qualifying for a handicap tag. Nice whide spaces.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:48 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by San Rensho
Whats the difference between a porcupine and a Porsche? The porcupine has the ****** on the outside.
Stereotype, but there are some.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:51 PM
Madjackdog
Intermediate

I can see people getting upset over the two parking spaces, but sweet Jesus, man, saying your car is not hot? That's just mean.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:51 PM
Slamuth
Racer

I'm just happy to see P-car brethren that are as neurotic about parking as I am. These mental parking checklists made me smile; I'm not a freak after all.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:34 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I'm as crazy as all of you and follow a similar checklist but why take two spaces far away in a large EMPTY lot?
Hmm... I am considering changing my ways.

Quick Reply: A Post-it Note