Sponsored by:

Ordered Sport Mode for '09 Carrera S Cab

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 07:49 PM
rajtw
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered Sport Mode for '09 Carrera S Cab

I've owned my car now for a month and just ordered the factory sport mode (which adds the sport and sport plus buttons). Basically sports chrono plus minus the clock).

Ordered from SunCoast Auto for $1,195 (no tax and no shipping). Funny, some dealers wanted $2,500 or so including installation. I mentioned Sun Coast Auto and the good dealers here in SoCal recommended to get it from there and they'd charge a few hundred to install. They even knew to ask me to get the enabling code. My local dealer had no idea you could add sport mode (how could that be?). I'm obviously not going to have them do the install.

Should be here in a few days and looking forward to getting it installed.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:18 PM
l3erny
Rennlist Member

I'm about to buy an '09 Carrera S and was going to do the same thing -- what dealers in Los Angeles are you recommending? I'm in Glendale.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:27 PM
rajtw
Intermediate

Downtown LA or Rusnak in Pasadena. I was disappointed that The Auto Gallery didn't even know about this option.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:28 PM
rajtw
Intermediate

Originally Posted by l3erny
I'm about to buy an '09 Carrera S and was going to do the same thing -- what dealers in Los Angeles are you recommending? I'm in Glendale.
Conrats BTW and post some pics after you pick it up. What color?
Old 02-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

That's definitely a worthwhile upgrade on a PDK car. You'll enjoy the change.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:50 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
You get the sport button only.

New from Porsche! A factory software kit that adds a new dimension to your Porsche. By pressing a dash-mounted "SPORT" switch, you can chose between a stock mode and a Sport Mode with improved performance dynamics.
INCORRECT! You did not read far enough!

Directly from the Suncoast web site:

New from Porsche! A factory software kit that adds a new dimension to your Porsche. By pressing a dash-mounted "SPORT" switch, you can chose between a stock mode and a Sport Mode with improved performance dynamics.

Benefits of Sport Mode activation:- Sporty tuning of engine Motronic software, PASM, PSM, Tiptronic Transmission (if applicable), all-wheel-drive system (if applicable).
- For vehicles with factory Sport Exhaust, the new Sport button would control exhaust settings.
- For vehicles with PCM, new personalized settings can now be controlled. Including memory for lights, wiper, climate control, & door lock settings.
- For 2009-2012 vehicles with PDK, you get a Sport Plus button with Launch Control and Race Track Shift Strategy. For base model Cayman & Boxster models, launch control is not included.
- For Turbo models, Overboost is also added for additional acceleration.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:01 PM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got sport and sport plus with my 997.2. Sick! Probaby one of the most important options! Sport plus is a bit rough to drive in.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
INCORRECT! You did not read far enough!

Directly from the Suncoast web site:

Benefits of Sport Mode activation:- Sporty tuning of engine Motronic software, PASM, PSM, Tiptronic Transmission (if applicable), all-wheel-drive system (if applicable).
- For vehicles with factory Sport Exhaust, the new Sport button would control exhaust settings.
- For vehicles with PCM, new personalized settings can now be controlled. Including memory for lights, wiper, climate control, & door lock settings.
- For 2009-2012 vehicles with PDK, you get a Sport Plus button with Launch Control and Race Track Shift Strategy. For base model Cayman & Boxster models, launch control is not included.
- For Turbo models, Overboost is also added for additional acceleration.

You are quick ! I was deleting as you were posting
Old 02-24-2012, 10:00 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by rajtw
I've owned my car now for a month and just ordered the factory sport mode (which adds the sport and sport plus buttons). Basically sports chrono plus minus the clock).
This is a great way to get sport chrono plus and no ugly wart. dave
Old 02-24-2012, 10:22 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

whats included in the kit? a new strip with 2 button and wire harness - I assume. What else? once the buttons are installed / connected, PIWIS is needed to tell the ECU that they were added and activate this feature - correct?

wonder why a couple of buttons and wires should cost 1200 beans.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PasPar2
You're quite right -- the price is completely untethered from the reality of what is involved. Welcome to Porsche-ville. At least with suncoast pricing it's basically cost neutral (as compared to the option price you'd have paid when speccing the car) and it's a path to having sport chrono with no wart on the dash. That's nice.

What's most affronting is that they would even build a PDK car without sport plus and all that jazz. That's the true frustration to me. It's a silly bauble of software necessary to get all the features of the transmission. It shouldn't be an option at all.

And what's the most puzzling thing to me is that anyone would ever buy sport chrono on a manual transmission car. That's the true boggler to me.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
You're quite right -- the price is completely untethered from the reality of what is involved. Welcome to Porsche-ville. At least with suncoast pricing it's basically cost neutral (as compared to the option price you'd have paid when speccing the car) and it's a path to having sport chrono with no wart on the dash. That's nice.

What's most affronting is that they would even build a PDK car without sport plus and all that jazz. That's the true frustration to me. It's a silly bauble of software necessary to get all the features of the transmission. It shouldn't be an option at all.

And what's the most puzzling thing to me is that anyone would ever buy sport chrono on a manual transmission car. That's the true boggler to me.
But question - I have a manual car and am considering this Sport button. Does it not increase the throttle response?
Old 02-24-2012, 11:03 AM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rajtw
My local dealer had no idea you could add sport mode (how could that be?). I'm obviously not going to have them do the install.
I have seen this sort of issue get worse since the "computer" replaced the "mechanic" at the car dealerships (not just Porsche). Most Porsche service guys are now "techs" and not "mechanics".... If I had a dollar for every "the computer says you don't have a problem sir", I'd be rich!

My favorite Porsche-dealer interaction was proving to the local techs & tech manager that the front shock towers on my 996 GT3 (back in 2006 btw) could be rotated 90 degrees to enable greater than -3 degrees of camber (b/c its a cup car part). They were quite arrogant, telling me that I was clueless and did not know these cars... Ah, the joy....

Rennlist is the best resource I know of to learn what is really going on with our cars.... Enjoy the mod. (Suncoast rocks btw - awesome parts department)

-B
Old 02-24-2012, 11:13 AM
rajtw
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PasPar2
Not just that, some dealers are charging over $2500. And what about the $4k option on a new car.

My understanding is that you get the software with it. Sun coast is also getting the enabling code for my VIN. Even though the price is ridiculous, the end result is worth it.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:04 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

Ran me about $1500 including installation. Had the local dealership get the kit and do the install. It was the first time they did it, fortunately it worked fine. You need to make sure that all of the applicable memory functions now accessible in the PCM are activated (daytime running lights, automatic wipers, climate control, and door lock options) since these have to be done seperately in the PIWIS. Took a seperate trip to the dealer to get them done since they forgot them the first time. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Ordered Sport Mode for '09 Carrera S Cab