Sponsored by:

X51 Sale (05-08 Cars)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 02:14 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cibergypsy
Information from Excellence Magazine is wrong. Why did they make such a mistake? Probably (not affirming this is the case) they used information that was readily available but incorrect nevertheless. The kit for the 997 does NOT have different camshafts. I have detailed info on what comes with it, as I had it retrofitted on my car. Refer to my post above regarding this for explanation.
When I went digging and found that article I was actually looking for info to back up your claim that cams are NOT included in the x51 kit. That has previously always been my understanding. I was surprised to see the article say "different cams". My understanding was the heads had porting work and maybe a different spring on the exhaust valve?

I believe now the article is in error. If cams WERE included I'd expect bigger gains than 26 hp.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:27 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
When I went digging and found that article I was actually looking for info to back up your claim that cams are NOT included in the x51 kit. That has previously always been my understanding. I was surprised to see the article say "different cams". My understanding was the heads had porting work and maybe a different spring on the exhaust valve?

I believe now the article is in error. If cams WERE included I'd expect bigger gains than 26 hp.

I know from first hand that in Excellence they try to double checks their articles and data, and 99% of times they are spot on.

I also know for a fact that Porsche's technical literature, especially the early promo material, has a lot of mistakes, technical and from weak translation. Most of them are rectified in the updated WM and PIWIS.
If Excellence posted about camshafts, at that time they had an official document or an interview to back it up.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

guys... lets forget about the HP gain and talk about the torque gained under the curve above stock curve... that's what is important here... the graph that cibergypsy posted shows us that the x51 kit would be a phenomenal track mod as well as providing a small bump in torque in the 2,000 rpm range... hp means nothing without a torque curve spanning rpm...

adding cams to the 3.8 x51 would give you GT3 "type" power and torque !!!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:27 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For the cost of this "kit" you can have your 3.8 engine rebuilt and fully blueprinted to make even more power than the X51. You can even get it bored to 4.0L and get even more torque, but then be prepared to cough up close to $20k.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:46 PM
cibergypsy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic
For the cost of this "kit" you can have your 3.8 engine rebuilt and fully blueprinted to make even more power than the X51. You can even get it bored to 4.0L and get even more torque, but then be prepared to cough up close to $20k.
I'm thinking that I will be keeping this car for a very long time... long enough to at some point need a rebuild due to it just wearing out (hopefully a very long time from now).

I wonder then, since I already have the kit on my car, taking it as a basis for a rebuild and even a displacement increase to 4L, what kind of gains may it obtain as compared to the same kind of rebuild on a standard motor? Or will such a rebuild and displacement increase render the gains from the kit null?

Can anyone shed some light into this? Thanks!
Old 02-27-2012, 11:21 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cibergypsy

I wonder then, since I already have the kit on my car, taking it as a basis for a rebuild and even a displacement increase to 4L, what kind of gains may it obtain as compared to the same kind of rebuild on a standard motor? Or will such a rebuild and displacement increase render the gains from the kit null?

Can anyone shed some light into this? Thanks!
Adding 200cc is a 5% increase in displacement. You should see a 5% increase in hp from whatever you're currently getting from your x51. 381hp? Should see approx. 400+ hp..

So yes, the x51 bits are still adding their share of hp to a displacement boost.

Phil
Old 07-23-2014, 01:28 AM
betonred
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

reviving an old thread - but this is why i love rennlist -

i am in the process of having my engine rebuilt, i was extremely curious about the x51 package

i also was confused how the porsche parts catalog did not list the x51 cams only x51 cylinder heads.

well the answer is as others have stated, the 997 x51 powerkit did not compromise of upgraded cams.

personally speaking i decided its just not worth it for the $.. below is pricing just for the heads less the intake, airbox, revised ecu tuning and throttle body

OEM Catalog
CYLINDER HEAD $ $3,862.17 $0.00 $3,862.17
OEM Catalog
CYLINDER HEAD $$3,862.17 $0.00 $3,862.17

Sub Total: $7,724.34

i am going to drop some weight out of the car! at least that is close to being free

Quick Reply: X51 Sale (05-08 Cars)