Question about Removing back seats

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:45 PM
kimster
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Removing back seats

Hey guys.

I'm in the market for a 997 turbo and yesterday I went to test drive one for the first time.
Since I'm in a wheelchair I need it to make sure that I could comfortably drive the car and that my wheelchair could fit in the car... And that's where my question is coming from.... I would need to remove the top section of the back seats (the part that folds down) in order for me to comfortably get my chair back there.
Has anyone done this removal?.. I'm pretty sure you got to take alot of the interior apart but I wanted to know if it can be done.

Thanks
Old 02-21-2012, 11:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

It can be done very easily; I did it to install my harness bar. The key to removal is the center hinge pin between the seatbacks. Carefully pry off the plastic piece and loosen the set screw that retains the hinge pin. (Getting the plastic piece off without breaking the tiny retaining bits is the only tricky part. Some foam and double sided tape work fine to put the plastic back in place if you do break them. ) Now you can slide the center pin to one side and pull the seatbacks off the outboard pins. The brackets for the outboard pins can be unbolted and removed at this point if you want.

It's really pretty simple; no other interior trim needs to be removed.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 02-22-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:39 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by kimster
I would need to remove the top section of the back seats (the part that folds down) in order for me to comfortably get my chair back there.
What I don't understand is why there aren't more cars with rear seat delete I'm in the market and that's the first thing I'll do. dave
Old 02-22-2012, 08:39 AM
kimster
Intermediate

Mike CA... Thank you for the info. I'm so glad is not as complicated as I thought it would be... Thanks again man.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:03 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

+1 very easy and passengers can still sit in the back if need be. the carpet is almost as comfortable as a seat back though I wouldn't ask anyone but a smaller child to sit back there for any appreciable amount of time.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:28 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

its the same deal as a gt2 or gt3. The seats are out and carpet with no holes goes in, plus the quarters have holes so they are replaced and the c pillars have no seat belt holes. If you buy those parts you can replacate it as a gt 2-3.
the carpet is a couple hundred, the quarters are expensive but you can recover them fairly cheap

Last edited by okbarnett; 04-03-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Mike CA... Thank you for the info. I'm so glad is not as complicated as I thought it would be... Thanks again man.
My pleasure, kimster. Hope you get your Turbo......
Old 02-22-2012, 03:47 PM
JLHendrix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys.

I'm in the market for a 997 turbo and yesterday I went to test drive one for the first time.
Since I'm in a wheelchair I need it to make sure that I could comfortably drive the car and that my wheelchair could fit in the car... And that's where my question is coming from.... I would need to remove the top section of the back seats (the part that folds down) in order for me to comfortably get my chair back there.
Has anyone done this removal?.. I'm pretty sure you got to take alot of the interior apart but I wanted to know if it can be done.

Thanks
Thanks, for bringing this up. I have been trying for several months to figure out how to get my friend's wheel chair in the back. Don't know why I did not consider taking out seats. what type of chair do you have. looking for recommendations. John
Old 02-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
What I don't understand is why there aren't more cars with rear seat delete I'm in the market and that's the first thing I'll do. dave
I asked my dealer about this when I ordered my GTS last April and he told me that this wasn't an option for U.S. destined cars. Considering the source, take that nugget for whatever it is worth.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:26 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

the first gts was with rear seat delete as stock equip
Old 02-23-2012, 12:28 PM
kimster
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JLHendrix
Thanks, for bringing this up. I have been trying for several months to figure out how to get my friend's wheel chair in the back. Don't know why I did not consider taking out seats. what type of chair do you have. looking for recommendations. John
Hey John,

I have a "TI" manual wheelchair that looks like this.
http://www.tilite.com/wchairs_zrs2.php

by taking out the top section of the backseats you should be able to fit in the wheelchair frame and wheels back there with no issue... hopefully this helps.

Quick Reply: Question about Removing back seats