Porsche Short Shifter Installed Today

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 12:30 AM
sbpsu354
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Steven B
I keep reading about a little more difficulty getting into 1'st gear when cold. My '08 (not SS) goes into 1'st a little bit harder when cold, but the first to SECOND gear is pretty tough. Absolutely fine when warm. Anybody have this issue??
My 06 C2 was difficult to get into 2nd when cold, but smooth when warm as with yours. It would also find the 2nd gear syncro when cold or warm but only when short shifting (3k revs or so). Shift into 2nd at 4-7k, and it's smooth as silk. I had 2 factory reps drive the car, and they both said it was normal. That seemed strange, but ok. When looking for my current 08 C2S, I drove several 08 C2Ss and they all did the exact same thing, including the one I bought. So, to me, this is normal.

Andy
Old 02-27-2012, 06:42 AM
Steven B
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all of the above posters.

All of my prior cars (with the exception of my wife's A4 Avant which is as smooth as silk at any temp) have been balky with the 1-2 shift while cold. As I do not rev my motor much past 2500 rpms for the first 1/2 mile in the morning (letting the motor warm a bit), I find it's a slow shift from 1 to 2 in the winter.

My comment was to point out that getting into first just aint that bad whether a short shift or stock, but the 1-2 which can be the balkiest (is this a word?) shift when cold.

Loved my short shifter in my old 996 - Tim's exuberance is making me think about putting it in my 997!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:47 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven B
Thanks to all of the above posters.

All of my prior cars (with the exception of my wife's A4 Avant which is as smooth as silk at any temp) have been balky with the 1-2 shift while cold. As I do not rev my motor much past 2500 rpms for the first 1/2 mile in the morning (letting the motor warm a bit), I find it's a slow shift from 1 to 2 in the winter.

My comment was to point out that getting into first just aint that bad whether a short shift or stock, but the 1-2 which can be the balkiest (is this a word?) shift when cold.

Loved my short shifter in my old 996 - Tim's exuberance is making me think about putting it in my 997!
Do it.... DO it.... DO IT!
Old 02-27-2012, 01:36 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by sbpsu354
My 06 C2 was difficult to get into 2nd when cold, but smooth when warm as with yours. It would also find the 2nd gear syncro when cold or warm but only when short shifting (3k revs or so). Shift into 2nd at 4-7k, and it's smooth as silk. I had 2 factory reps drive the car, and they both said it was normal. That seemed strange, but ok. When looking for my current 08 C2S, I drove several 08 C2Ss and they all did the exact same thing, including the one I bought. So, to me, this is normal.

Andy
Ok, so I had the same 1-2 issues for over a year... yesterday I took it in to a shop that had the shifter alignment tool, interestingly, the NEUTRAL position on mine was DEAD CENTER, while the tool pushed it out to the right by 0.25" or so.

Now, with this new alignment, I got BETTER 1-2 shifting for sure. BUT, getting into reverse sometimes harder and going into neutral is so far the right, it doesn't feel right somehow!
Old 02-27-2012, 02:34 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Love the short shifter. Thumbs up to your wife!
Old 02-27-2012, 03:09 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

how tight is it?

I thought the move to 997 from 996 was a huge improvement as it was
Old 02-27-2012, 04:06 PM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DHC
Good to hear about the "OEM feel." I need to do this.

Back when I got my BMW E90 (1st stick shift in Atlanta BTW), they didn't really have after-market SSKs well-sorted. Bought one and my favorite indy shop had to do some fabrication to get the thing installed. The thing never felt better than "extremely notchy." Took three more years, but the linkage finally gave up the ghost and I had to limp to the shop in either 3rd or 4th gears only. Not fun sitting at a traffic light knowing I'll have to start off in 3rd.
I just had a B&M installed and got my car back on Saturday. I love it! Amazing difference. Only issue was my mechanic charged me two hours for the install. Not sure it should take that long.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:09 PM
dhsieh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here, my 08' Carrera S sometimes is difficult to fully engage in its 1st gear from dead start. In addition, engaging 2nd gear from very low speed, e.g., 5 mph, is also hard most of time. I wonder if a Porsche OEM short shifter may help in that regard? From a separate post, I learned that Porsche's Carrera and Carrera S are equipped with Japanese Aisin Seiki (Borg Warner) transmissions. They are actually made in Japan. Aisin uses steel synchromesh cones and 2nd gear in particular is known for troublesome. I am not sure the relevance of this info to Porsche short shifter. The last thing I want is investing on the Porsche short shifter but make no or minimal improvement to my gear shifting experience.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:05 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by dhsieh
Same here, my 08' Carrera S sometimes is difficult to fully engage in its 1st gear from dead start. In addition, engaging 2nd gear from very low speed, e.g., 5 mph, is also hard most of time. I wonder if a Porsche OEM short shifter may help in that regard? From a separate post, I learned that Porsche's Carrera and Carrera S are equipped with Japanese Aisin Seiki (Borg Warner) transmissions. They are actually made in Japan. Aisin uses steel synchromesh cones and 2nd gear in particular is known for troublesome. I am not sure the relevance of this info to Porsche short shifter. The last thing I want is investing on the Porsche short shifter but make no or minimal improvement to my gear shifting experience.
No, a short shifter will not help your issues with shifting to 1st or 2nd gear.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:48 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

It should have come that way from Zuffenhausen.

When visiting Rennlist in 05 to educated on the 997 before I ordered I found that a great deal of the listers were either ordering the Short Shifter or installing it later. It gave me a chance to install it at the factory within my order.

When I drive a regular 997 without it I really notice the difference.

Quick Reply: Porsche Short Shifter Installed Today