Sponsored by:

Valentine One "Savvy" 997.2 EASY install

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 09:37 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I would also be interested in install pictures. For those that have run the wire, is wire thickness thin enough to easily fit into the gap near the windshield? This looks like a great solution for anyone wanting directional awareness while eliminating around town radar. Not as good as GPS but certainly it has its advantages.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:53 PM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default install photos

From the drivers seat - and getting in and out of the car really you don't see any wires... If I stuff the camera right up to the dash "gap"you can see the wire. Since the wire is oval shaped it slides into the gaps very nicely. Getting in and out of the car you cannot see the Savvy in the footwell. Dan's idea of putting a couple of knots in the wire to make it thicker for the area by the windshield is probably a good idea... the gap at the windshield is much larger than the wire...although I have not yet had any problems with my wire falling out. Of course start at the unit and work your way towards the Savvy. That way you can just stuff the excess cord in the pocket in the footwell.
After driving around with the V1 for a couple of days I can say that I am very, very impressed. Not as many false alarms as I thought based on the reviews. The directional arrows help in identifying those set false alarms/triggers...for example on the one way home there is a spot on the fwy where it picks up some kind of radar door opener and it goes off as I approach, go by and then pass that location. And there is a sign that reads your speed right by my house which of course sets it off coming and going...but otherwise it is silent. If there are issues with falses (or if I lived in a big city) you can turn on a logic or advanced logic funtion that screens out what it thinks might be false alarms..
On a PCA club drive on this last Sat from SB to Jalama beach it made the drive so much more enjoyable...in fact the peace of mind/enjoyment from that one drive I got my money's worth!
Attached Images      
Old 02-20-2012, 12:58 PM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

The unit turns on and off with the car.
The A pillar to dash is easy - it stuffs completely into the gap there. The most visible spot is where I took a close up pic... but your really can't see unless your looking for it.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by SBPORSCHE
From the drivers seat - and getting in and out of the car really you don't see any wires... If I stuff the camera right up to the dash "gap"you can see the wire. Since the wire is oval shaped it slides into the gaps very nicely. Getting in and out of the car you cannot see the Savvy in the footwell. Dan's idea of putting a couple of knots in the wire to make it thicker for the area by the windshield is probably a good idea... the gap at the windshield is much larger than the wire...although I have not yet had any problems with my wire falling out. Of course start at the unit and work your way towards the Savvy. That way you can just stuff the excess cord in the pocket in the footwell.
After driving around with the V1 for a couple of days I can say that I am very, very impressed. Not as many false alarms as I thought based on the reviews. The directional arrows help in identifying those set false alarms/triggers...for example on the one way home there is a spot on the fwy where it picks up some kind of radar door opener and it goes off as I approach, go by and then pass that location. And there is a sign that reads your speed right by my house which of course sets it off coming and going...but otherwise it is silent. If there are issues with falses (or if I lived in a big city) you can turn on a logic or advanced logic funtion that screens out what it thinks might be false alarms..
On a PCA club drive on this last Sat from SB to Jalama beach it made the drive so much more enjoyable...in fact the peace of mind/enjoyment from that one drive I got my money's worth!
Thank you for the additional details and pictures, this is extremely helpful. Knowing that the wire is that thin and easily fits into the crevices is a big plus.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:47 PM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

very nice..... looks like im ordering one as well...
Old 02-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Keep in mind that the gap is there for a reason. It's to absorb expansion and contraction of the two dissimilar materials. Once you fill the gap you will introduce future squeaks.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:35 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

This is very similar to hard wiring your detector to the fuse box. Other than installing a piggy back jumper on a new fuse installed in position C1 (for a RWD car), there really isn't any difference in the installation procedures.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:51 PM
THense
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the photos - I just ordered the package for my CTT.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:55 PM
foxj0001
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 26 Posts

I have two Savvy units in box unused, decided against them for aesthetic reasons. PM me if interested, will sell for $45 each.
Jonathan
Old 06-20-2012, 12:40 AM
daberlin
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd be interested to know your V1 programming setup with the Savvy. After programming the V1, I get K band alerts below minimum speed yet I have all K shut off and min speed set to 25mph on the Savvy. Not getting alot of alerts, just surprised I get K at all. Will say this for the V1, I sure do get long distance warning alerts in Ka, and knowing the direction helps keep eyeball and head thrashing to a minimum.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:25 AM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

As far as i know it will always alert you to all bands...the savy just specifies at which speed you hear the quiet versus loud alerts.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:35 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by daberlin
I'd be interested to know your V1 programming setup with the Savvy. After programming the V1, I get K band alerts below minimum speed yet I have all K shut off and min speed set to 25mph on the Savvy. Not getting alot of alerts, just surprised I get K at all. Will say this for the V1, I sure do get long distance warning alerts in Ka, and knowing the direction helps keep eyeball and head thrashing to a minimum.
I have found I will get a K band alert if the signal is very strong (almost all LEDs light up) even if below Savvy speed limit - weaker signals stay muted below the speed. A quick pop on the mute and it is silent. I also have K band traffic monitors in my area, so I turned that function off in the V1. It helped too. I usually run little L around town and A mode on hwy.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:43 PM
THense
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New V1 install with SAVVY

Really clean install in my CTT.
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2012, 02:40 PM
jsimon777
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I just got my Valentine 1 with savvy that let's me hook it up to the OBD port for power. 997.2

I turn on the car, plug in the port and after a few seconds the Valentine 1 powers up. When I turn the car off and go to turn the car back on I can't get the Valentine 1 to come back on. The only way to do it is to unplug the OBD and plug it back in...few seconds later on it goes.

Any help from people who have done this?
Old 08-31-2012, 02:51 PM
bhudda
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Guys... I just installed the savvy in my 991, and the savy is so bulky, I can't close the fuse box cover, and it kinda sticks out...I'm afraid that I will kick it out with my left leg... anybody do any mods to fix it? I like the concept, but being concealed, I'm thinking of hardwiring it without savvy... just wanted to people's opinion.

Quick Reply: Valentine One "Savvy" 997.2 EASY install