Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Baby SUV based on Q5 to be called Macan!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 11:03 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I have a Q5 with the 2.0 Turbo. Fantastic little SUV. Highway mileage is 28ishmpg and it's avg is 25mpg, has nice accelleration for a small 4 and it handles nice. Very comfortable as I use this for my work vehicle with lots of highway driving
Old 02-16-2012, 11:38 PM
tx targa
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 37 Posts

Ugh. Why can't they go back to numbers? I hate the goofy names. Numbers mean the same thing worldwide. If 911s would have stayed just 911s then the SUVs could have been 996 for the small and 997 for the bigger one. Or something with 9's. Audi's nomenclature makes a lot of sense now.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:24 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
It means you get a well engineered, well built car that's at or near the top of it's class in all aspects of performance, is fun to drive, and satisfying to own. Is there something else you want in an car? Oh, you mean exclusivity and "status". I've never bought a car, or anything really, to impress anyone other than myself. At least not since I was old (and hopefully wise) enough to know better.
Yeah-read the Cayenne forums and talk to me more about well-engineered...
Old 02-17-2012, 01:46 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Franklin229
Yeah-read the Cayenne forums and talk to me more about well-engineered...
I have a 2011 Cayenne S. Zero problems, a blast to drive, fast, great handling, comfortable, 23-24mpg on the freeway. Love it.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:17 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

It means you get a well engineered, well built car that's at or near the top of it's class in all aspects of performance, is fun to drive, and satisfying to own. Is there something else you want in an car? Oh, you mean exclusivity and "status". I've never bought a car, or anything really, to impress anyone other than myself. At least not since I was old (and hopefully wise) enough to know better.
Well, owning a Porsche in the past meant, you own a SPORTS CAR, you are a car enthusiast, you are rather a fantastic driver, you track the car, you love driving just for driving, you did some of the maintenance yourself, you loved to detail the car on weekend, and basically you were called a PETROL HEAD!

Now, owning a Porsche doesn't mean ANY of that at all.. it's not about image, ALL of the people I knew as a kid or teen who had Porsches, were enthusiasts, EVERY SINGLE ONE, it was a passion for them, for instance my dad wasn't one of those as he liked luxury, reliability and for a car that takes him with ease from point A to B... now even he is thiking Porsche is posh/comfort/ordinary enough to maybe buy one as his next car.

PS. I really do not know where your point of view comes from, as you are an old timer, track, and look like a car enthusiast. I think you just blindly approve ANYTHING Porsche corp does no matter what!
Old 02-17-2012, 03:19 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

I have a 2011 Cayenne S. Zero problems, a blast to drive, fast, great handling, comfortable, 23-24mpg on the freeway. Love it.
and you're sample size of ONE is proof, right? Porsche overall reliability rating SANK like a rock due to Cayenne issues!
Old 02-17-2012, 03:22 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Personally, I would like to see a (rumored) 2-door version with the new 300+ hp VAG twin-turbo diesel, some aggressive body work, and an exterior mounted spare tire.
Now, THAT would be a CAR that Porsche has to make.. Maybe something to compete with FF? Coupe, 2+2, AWD, good ground clearance yet lower than SUV, 959 design cues, in Hatchback form with some good room... I'd buy one to add to 911. NOT just another glorified Q5 with Porsche badge!
Old 02-17-2012, 09:10 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

2009 Cayenne S approaching 50k miles, zero issues. Not a squeak or rattle.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:24 AM
PCC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
and you're sample size of ONE is proof, right? Porsche overall reliability rating SANK like a rock due to Cayenne issues!
Latest JD Power has Porsche #2

2012 JD Power Survey
Porsche improves by 16 PP100 and has the second-lowest PP100 rate. Cadillac and Toyota also improve by double digits. Lexus, Porsche, and Cadillac were also the top three nameplates in the 2009 IQS.

But, Cayenne rated lowest of all Porsche models
Old 02-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Well, owning a Porsche in the past meant, you own a SPORTS CAR, you are a car enthusiast, you are rather a fantastic driver, you track the car, you love driving just for driving, you did some of the maintenance yourself, you loved to detail the car on weekend, and basically you were called a PETROL HEAD!

Now, owning a Porsche doesn't mean ANY of that at all.. it's not about image, ALL of the people I knew as a kid or teen who had Porsches, were enthusiasts, EVERY SINGLE ONE, it was a passion for them,
This might be one of the more ridiculous statements I've ever seen on RL. In the first sentence you describe to a T probably 95% of the people who post on this board, including myself, not to mention the tens of thousands of PCA members, Porsche Parade enthusiasts, Rennsport Reunion attendees, etc all of whom have a passion for Porsches. Then, in the next breath you say that "now, owning a Porsche doesn't many ANY of that at all". Really? Not ANY? I guess all of us are just faking it. Complete and utter contradictory nonsense.

for instance my dad wasn't one of those as he liked luxury, reliability and for a car that takes him with ease from point A to B... now even he is thiking Porsche is posh/comfort/ordinary enough to maybe buy one as his next car.
The fact that people like your father are now interested in Porsches in no way detracts from my car's capabilities or the enjoyment I get from it. Does it really matter that Audi makes an R8 and an A3, BMW an M5 and an X3, or Porsche a Turbo and a Cayenne? The world and the automobile business has changed dramatically. Get over it.

PS. I really do not know where your point of view comes from, as you are an old timer, track, and look like a car enthusiast. I think you just blindly approve ANYTHING Porsche corp does no matter what!
I really don't know where your point of view comes from either, primarily because you seem incapable of crafting a coherent one. You post on an enthusiast Porsche board yet most of your contributions are complaints about too much rear deck lettering, raised center consoles, and electric parking brakes. Of course I love Porsches, that's why I post here. But I'm not blind about it. When I find something of real consequence to complain about, I will.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 02-17-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by mdrums
2009 Cayenne S approaching 50k miles, zero issues. Not a squeak or rattle.
Not proof of anything, just a data point. As is Mike's post above. And if you go to the Cayenne forum, aside from the complaints common to any vehicle, you will find the vast majority of us are extremely happy with our Cayennes, JD Powers notwithstanding.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:14 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

This might be one of the more ridiculous statements I've ever seen on RL. In the first sentence you describe to a T probably 95% of the people who post on this board, including myself, not to mention the tens of thousands of PCA members, Porsche Parade enthusiasts, Rennsport Reunion attendees, etc all of whom have a passion for Porsches. Then, in the next breath you say that "now, owning a Porsche doesn't many ANY of that at all". Really? I guess all of us are just faking it. Complete and utter contradictory nonsense.

The fact that people like your father are now interested in Porsches in no way detracts from my car's capabilities or the enjoyment I get from it. Does it really matter that Audi makes an R8 and an A3, BMW an M5 and an X3, or Porsche a Turbo and a Cayenne? The world and the automobile business has changed dramatically. Get over it.

I really don't know where your point of view comes from either, primarily because you seem incapable of crafting a coherent one. You post on an enthusiast Porsche board yet most of your contributions are complaints about too much rear deck lettering, raised center consoles, and electric parking brakes. Of course I love Porsches, that's why I post here. But I'm not blind about it. When I find something of real consequence to complain about, I will.
I am sorry, maybe you need help in comprehension? Ofcourse what I described is RL members... BUT, RL members are a VERY SMALL portion of overall Porsche buyers today, that's a FACT! It used to be that 80% of Porsche buyers were car enthusiasts, so if someone owned a Porsche, you knew they're car enthusiasts... while now, when my deli guy has a Cayenne, my dad's friend has a Cayenne, my GFs sister has an older Boxster, and they all know jack about their cars! This was NEVER the case with Porsche before. Don't tell me it's no different! Now, if you don't comprehend that statement, or find it ridicolous, shows how much you're ignorant, and have your head in a gutter! It is 100% true, just read the post of our fellow Ozzie member, I was responding to him.

Secondly, if I complained about 991, it's about it being more GT than it should be, and I find it ridicolous that you have to take an engine cover off for oil and a bumper off for air filter change. While interior is UGLY and Sedan like, and that is my personal opinion, and I can voice it here just like you can voice yours. This btw, is even shared by Porsche employees, I was just talking to Dominic Lyncker, who is head of motorsport events (Leiter Motorsportveranstaltungen), and he also had the same impression of 991.

I mostly have issue about HOW HARD it is to maintain the car, and how it has changed from previous 911s and that is 100% enthusiast concern, and that's why I DO NOT UNDERSTAND how could you be approving it when I know you track your car, change your pads, and do your own oil change? I think you so overwhelmingly supported 991, after details came out you couldn't back away, is that right?

PS. BTW, I don't remember I complained about lettering on the back , I don't like it, but who cares, you can delete.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I'm all for spreading the love so long as they keep improving the 911 breed. And they have with the 991. If you don't like it, then show Porsche what's up by buying something else.

And hate is such a strong word.

I hate racism. I just can't get myself to hate an inanimate object? Good luck with the Macan, VW. I personally find the Cayenne to be too small for an SUV.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:16 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

Not proof of anything, just a data point. As is Mike's post above. And if you go to the Cayenne forum, aside from the complaints common to any vehicle, you will find the vast majority of us are extremely happy with our Cayennes, JD Powers notwithstanding.
Count me as a happy camper. Based on my positive experience with a brand new 2008 Cayman, a #1 JD Power rating after releasing the all new Panamera, and few online gripes from new Panamera owners I felt confident about getting the all new 2011 Cayenne. Sure enough, I thoroughly enjoyed the Cayenne experience. There were some quirky functionality issues like how the stereo and hvac settings were tied to the seat memory and how to set up the auto door lock that cost the Cayenne on initial quality ratings.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I am sorry, maybe you need help in comprehension? Ofcourse what I described is RL members... BUT, RL members are a VERY SMALL portion of overall Porsche buyers today, that's a FACT! It used to be that 80% of Porsche buyers were car enthusiasts, so if someone owned a Porsche, you knew they're car enthusiasts... while now, when my deli guy has a Cayenne, my dad's friend has a Cayenne, my GFs sister has an older Boxster, and they all know jack about their cars! This was NEVER the case with Porsche before. Don't tell me it's no different! Now, if you don't comprehend that statement, or find it ridicolous, shows how much you're ignorant, and have your head in a gutter! It is 100% true, just read the post of our fellow Ozzie member, I was responding to him.

Secondly, if I complained about 991, it's about it being more GT than it should be, and I find it ridicolous that you have to take an engine cover off for oil and a bumper off for air filter change. While interior is UGLY and Sedan like, and that is my personal opinion, and I can voice it here just like you can voice yours. This btw, is even shared by Porsche employees, I was just talking to Dominic Lyncker, who is head of motorsport events (Leiter Motorsportveranstaltungen), and he also had the same impression of 991.
That was quite a little rant. I particularly enjoyed your original "head in the gutter" idiom. And BTW, it's ridiculous, not "ridicolous".

Anyway, many Porsche owners have multiple Porsches in their garages, including Panameras and Cayennes. Many Porsche owners do not. Your deli guy has a Cayenne. So what? Does his having one diminish you or the enjoyment of your car in some way? How sad if you think it does.

I mostly have issue about HOW HARD it is to maintain the car, and how it has changed from previous 911s and that is 100% enthusiast concern, and that's why I DO NOT UNDERSTAND how could you be approving it when I know you track your car, change your pads, and do your own oil change? I think you so overwhelmingly supported 991, after details came out you couldn't back away, is that right?

It won't be "HARD" to do routine service on the 991, in fact it looks to be significantly easier than it was with the 993. It's more involved than on my 997.2 but I doubt Porsche made it that way just to spite owners. I've owned and worked on enough cars to know that, in any event, the issues you're complaining about for routine service are no big deal. Unlike you, I share the same opinion as virtually every independent tester that overall the 991 is a great car and that nearly all of the changes are improvements. Is it perfect? No car is, but it's a worthy successor to the 997 in a great line of 911's. I don't have to back away from anything.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 02-17-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Porsche Baby SUV based on Q5 to be called Macan!