Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Baby SUV based on Q5 to be called Macan!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 01:42 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Porsche Baby SUV based on Q5 to be called Macan!

It used to be called "Cajun", but that obviously was a terrible name, although not so sure about Macan either?!

Porsche is hoping the Macan will double its total sales volume. I wouldn't be surprised, Cayenne is by far the best selling Porsche, based on Toureg/Q7, and if you compared how much Q5 is sold vs. Q7, it won't be surprising if Macan volume was double of Cayenne!

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/p...med-2012-02-16
Old 02-16-2012, 03:06 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

The lowest point of entry into a new Porsche is about $50k with a base Cayenne with a few basic options and realistically it's more like $60k. Q5 starts at $36.5k A $42-50k new five seat Porsche opens the doors to a lot of people that just couldn't justify the Porsche price premium before. Also there are a lot of people that already have a 911/Cayenne combo in their garage. There will be even more 911/Macan combos.

Just sold my Cayenne because it was just too big to drive in the city where I was constantly worried about door dings. Macan will be really tempting.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:15 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Yeah, Q5 is a home run for Audi, dealerships here actually don't have enough allocation to meet demand! The same will be the case for Macan... whether or not it has any improvements over Q5 remains to be seen.

I still don't like the dillution of the brand to such levels, but oh well... what can you do?!
Old 02-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

I hated the idea of the Cayenne, and hate the Panamera even more. But accepted them when Porsche was an independent company that needed to be strong enough to avoid takeover.

However, with VW ownership, I was hoping they would get the brand back to their roots, as was done with Bentley and Lamborghini (and Seat and Skoda, for that matter). There were even quotes to that effect when VW began their takeover. Unfortunately, it looks like Porsche will truly become a regular car brand that also builds sports cars.

That said, if the Macan is at all focused on the sporting end of the SUV spectrum, I am their target market. My X5d is too big, and the Q5, while the right size, is too mainstream and ordinary. Here's hoping they come through with a Macan 2-door that looks like a 959 rally car.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 160 Posts

Just when you thought VW had the corner on goofy model names, Porsche goes for "Macan." Geez.

Since one-half of all Porsches sold are Cayennes, a Q5-sized Porsche SUV should be a huge hit. But, don't forget Porsche's new rear badging will put the word "Macan" on the back of every one of those puppies.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:28 PM
1985mb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I hated the idea of the Cayenne, and hate the Panamera even more. But accepted them when Porsche was an independent company that needed to be strong enough to avoid takeover.

However, with VW ownership, I was hoping they would get the brand back to their roots, as was done with Bentley and Lamborghini (and Seat and Skoda, for that matter). There were even quotes to that effect when VW began their takeover. Unfortunately, it looks like Porsche will truly become a regular car brand that also builds sports cars.
+1

As for their target market, I suppose I should be, but I would much rather have a 335i/335d touring or S4 avant.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader
But, don't forget Porsche's new rear badging will put the word "Macan" on the back of every one of those puppies.
Oh noooo, not more lettering...........!!!
Old 02-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Autarky
Instructor

The Porsche brand name is now officially dead, if there was any doubt before. The name has well and truly been bastardized. It will be stuck on anything in the future. Well done execs - your goal to make Porsche the new Mercedes is working. I however am slowly but steadily falling out of love with you. Ferdinand Porsche would be turning in his grave if he knew how far the company has drifted from its sporting roots. It's so sad. With the takeover the promise was to build more 'sports' cars, not soccer Mum cars to waltz around in at 30kph.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1985mb
+1

As for their target market, I suppose I should be, but I would much rather have a 335i/335d touring or S4 avant.
As would I - had a 2005 S4 Avant - but obviously none of the above are offered in the US market, at least not currently.

I find it interesting that, with the Macan, Porsche/Audi will have three similar vehicles on the same platform at similar prices for generally the same market - the other two being the A4 allroad and facelifted Q5.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

However, with VW ownership, I was hoping they would get the brand back to their roots, as was done with Bentley and Lamborghini (and Seat and Skoda, for that matter). There were even quotes to that effect when VW began their takeover. Unfortunately, it looks like Porsche will truly become a regular car brand that also builds sports cars..
In my Porsche dealer's service waiting room there's a big glass display case. On one side is a display of "Porsche" wristwatches, and on the other side, "Tag Heuer" sunglasses These days there's nothing much sacred when it comes to brand identity, but as long as consumers fall for it it will only get worse.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:26 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Autarky
The Porsche brand name is now officially dead, if there was any doubt before. The name has well and truly been bastardized. It will be stuck on anything in the future. Well done execs - your goal to make Porsche the new Mercedes is working. I however am slowly but steadily falling out of love with you. Ferdinand Porsche would be turning in his grave if he knew how far the company has drifted from its sporting roots. It's so sad. With the takeover the promise was to build more 'sports' cars, not soccer Mum cars to waltz around in at 30kph.
+1... the glory days are all gone! Porsche used to be so scarce and at possesion of true car enthusiasts only, it even continued to early 2000s... but then now with all these different cars, it's becoming ridicolous. There's also a *smaller Boxster* in plans, to compete with 1-series!

What does it mean actually to own a Porsche these days?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:30 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

That said, if the Macan is at all focused on the sporting end of the SUV spectrum, I am their target market. My X5d is too big, and the Q5, while the right size, is too mainstream and ordinary. Here's hoping they come through with a Macan 2-door that looks like a 959 rally car.
Now, what do you think Macan would be like after it sells just as many as Q5? Not mainstream and ordinary?

I sure hope they did some specialty car instead, like a 959 resurrection, or something to that effect, not just another Q5 with Porsche badge.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:31 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

I am expecting it to be more than a Q5 with different front and rear bumper caps, a more sloped rear roof line, and Panamera center console. Otherwise, it would compete directly with the premium Q5 models, as they already overlap with the base Cayenne.

My guess is it will have the 3.0T from the S4 (already confirmed for the Q5), and one of the hotter 2.0T motors in the VW/Audi parts bin. And probably GTS, Turbo, and Turbo S models. Personally, I would like to see a (rumored) 2-door version with the new 300+ hp VAG twin-turbo diesel, some aggressive body work, and an exterior mounted spare tire.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
What does it mean actually to own a Porsche these days?
It means you get a well engineered, well built car that's at or near the top of it's class in all aspects of performance, is fun to drive, and satisfying to own. Is there something else you want in an car? Oh, you mean exclusivity and "status". I've never bought a car, or anything really, to impress anyone other than myself. At least not since I was old (and hopefully wise) enough to know better.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:00 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Pictures or it doesn't exist.

Quick Reply: Porsche Baby SUV based on Q5 to be called Macan!