Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a seat that looked like this...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Me either. I love the look of supple leather. Don't own it and it's losing me any sleep, but I do love it when I see it. And frankly, I don't see anything wrong with that seat in the photo. Maybe the camera didn't pick up the differences the OP is seeing in person.

Gary
I don't particularly care for the gathered (I call it wrinkled) look of the supple leather all that much when it's fresh and new, and it just gets more wrinkled with the miles. It's a matter of preference, AFAIC; there's nothing "wrong" with it.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:52 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
This is exactly what I'm concerned about. My alternate subject header for this thread was going to be "Supple leather... worth it?"

Apparently not.

I've been biased toward darker interior colors - looks like it's going to stay that way.

99% of the cars I'm finding that are anywhere near my price range don't have full leather, so I'll probably have to forego the high-end dash, but I hear you on the seats. I'd add to that the shifter and hand brake. The above car, at least, has sycamore wood there...
Also, if it has a sand biege dash you'll find the reflection on bright days very distracting. Try it and you'll see.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:18 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 816 Likes on 452 Posts

Had the same problem with my sand beige interior...its a bytch to keep clean if you actually use the car regularly let alone as a daily driver without taking what is to me an extreme amount of care/precautions and detailing. It wears easily, catches fade/bleed from colored garments and I still have my old swapped out PDK handle and e brake which show basically 1 yrs worth of transfer from my hands with dirt/surface grim (they stuff you normally just don't see on your hands). I know I didn't wash my hands every time I got in the car but I am in the medical field and probably wash my hands more times a day than most on this forum seeing patients and still I found dirt transfer and normal wear hard on my sand beige interior. So much so that I swapped out quite a few high wear parts to black to give the interior a two tone appearance and ultimately traded for a Meteor Gray/black interior'd car which has full leather and I love!

But like most have said its a personal preference to each owner! GL
Old 02-08-2012, 09:49 AM
DHC
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't consider that a 'deal breaker' but I'm seeing your preference for interior color is similar to mine .... black or very dark.

There are tons of cars out there that will meet your specs, including the interior color which you interact with every day, so I wouldn't settle for this one example.

Now if this car has some unusual options that are "must haves" then you have a tough decision on your hands ...
Old 02-08-2012, 10:14 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I probably wouldn't buy it. Just my personal preference though.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:32 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not a fan of the light-colored seats/interior in the car that the OP is looking at; however, I am a fan of supple leather seats - mine have 82,000 miles on them and still look great.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:08 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

IMHO, supple heaped up leather belongs in a luxury vehicle like a Lexus. But hey people think that champagne color does not belong in a sports car either (many call it the Honda accord color) and I have a Weissach gold metallic colored 911.
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

For a seat with 30K miles it actually doesn't look bad. I've seen worse bolsters on sport bucket seats with 1/4 the mileage.

It's only 200 miles away - go take a look in person, it's not that far away.

If the car is mechanically sound, has options you like, and is priced right I wouldn't worry about the seat. Buy it and wear it out some more - that's what they were made for.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:39 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

My 964 had a light Grey interior. That was the absolute worst to keep clean..
Old 02-08-2012, 04:47 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 136 Posts

Thanks all.

I think I'm going to end up passing on this car. The pic I posted was pre-dealer-detailing-for-a-photo-shoot, so it's probably a solid representation of what it looks like in any practical situation.

Even though I like the color combo, I think I'm going to pass on this particular car - and pretty much any car with sand beige interior. I take good care of my cars, but I don't think I have the patience to deal with a light colored interior.

Hey Larrytrk - when did you sell your '06S? Is this it?
Old 02-10-2012, 09:55 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
IMHO, supple heaped up leather belongs in a luxury vehicle like a Lexus. But hey people think that champagne color does not belong in a sports car either (many call it the Honda accord color) and I have a Weissach gold metallic colored 911.
Your 911 is one of the must beautiful 911s I've seen....great color!
Old 02-10-2012, 01:06 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

30,000 miles and the seat still looks that good? Maybe I'm blind, but that seat looks pristine with only the most minor of blemishes. Certainly nothing worth passing the car on!
Old 02-11-2012, 07:18 PM
Dr. Strange
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see the problem either...if you like it...buy it. If you don't...don't. I have sand beige interior and my car has almost 50K...looks practically new to me. When I put the pedal down...the seat condition and/or color becomes mysteriously unimportant!
Old 02-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Just saw this photo, Amar. Beautiful!

Quick Reply: Would you buy a seat that looked like this...