Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Top Gear drives the mighty Singer 911

I LOVE this 911, very nicely done!

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/sin...ive-2012-02-02
Old 02-03-2012, 07:03 PM
JD911
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 49 Posts

Drop dead gorgeous. Drop dead expensive!
Old 09-24-2013, 09:01 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Opening this up as I just saw this video and it's simply amazing!!!

Old 09-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This has been my number one dream car since I found out about it
Old 09-24-2013, 10:32 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Now this is a custom made, best bits from all gens of Air cooled 911s... what would be a car with best bits of all water cooled car gens put together?

For me:
- GT3 RS 4.0 engine
- GT3 RS 4.0 transmission
- Carrera Classic Interior with bucket seats (but 4 seats)
- Embedded leather wrapped roll-cage
- Body to be a CF combo of GT3 RS 4.0 and GT2 RS (like the intake on the back spoiler)
- Wider front end from 991 and even wider rear-end (wider than 991 Turbo)
- Electronics from 991
- Steering, and suspension from GT3 RS 4.0
- No front LED
- Front bumper from 997.1 GT3 RS
- Fuchs center lock wheels!
Old 09-25-2013, 12:28 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

For me the gt3 4.0 should be as perfect as they come
Old 09-25-2013, 12:59 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

My random thoughts about Singer

It's amazing that you can create a business selling such expensive 911s. In fact you could probably start a car company and build your own similar frankenporsche for much, much less. But you won't be successful selling similar cars for $150k.

You see it's the crazy 1/2 a mil price tag and long wait list (I think they have ~7 cars built so far) that creates exclusivity. Your neighbor may have a Veyron and a 458, who doesn't, but you can be the first on your block in Dubai to have a Singer.

The other thing that amazes me is the shop itself. Look it up on street view. It's quite possibly in the ****tiest part of town. Perhaps this is a genius technique to keep annoying customers from coming down and bugging them constantly about their car.

Still love to have one, but alas it will never be.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:55 AM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 188 Posts

Such a beautiful, beautiful, car!
Old 09-25-2013, 02:46 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mattyf

It's amazing that you can create a business selling such expensive 911s. In fact you could probably start a car company and build your own similar frankenporsche for much, much less. But you won't be successful selling similar cars for $150k.

You see it's the crazy 1/2 a mil price tag and long wait list (I think they have ~7 cars built so far) that creates exclusivity. Your neighbor may have a Veyron and a 458, who doesn't, but you can be the first on your block in Dubai to have a Singer.

The other thing that amazes me is the shop itself. Look it up on street view. It's quite possibly in the ****tiest part of town. Perhaps this is a genius technique to keep annoying customers from coming down and bugging them constantly about their car.

I actually think the opposite, I think they've done an amazing job, the way they retain the look, yet update and make the car body out of CF, and somehow bring different parts from different gen to make one whole car, and make it all fit so perfectly is nothing but genius. Who cares where's their shop located... Chris said, it's in a shed somewhere in LA.

I also think the price is not outrageous for such a custom job, and for the amount of time it takes to put it all together. Not that I could afford one... but think about it, 300K to get a modern car in a shell of a classic 911, Carbon Fiber, modern top of the line suspension and electronics, AND having an Air cooled engine, while it being absolutely unique (7 in the world), and to have almost limitless customization is not a bad deal at all.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:48 PM
mattyf
Pro

Originally Posted by alexb76

I actually think the opposite, I think they've done an amazing job, the way they retain the look, yet update and make the car body out of CF, and somehow bring different parts from different gen to make one whole car, and make it all fit so perfectly is nothing but genius. Who cares where's their shop located... Chris said, it's in a shed somewhere in LA.

I also think the price is not outrageous for such a custom job, and for the amount of time it takes to put it all together. Not that I could afford one... but think about it, 300K to get a modern car in a shell of a classic 911, Carbon Fiber, modern top of the line suspension and electronics, AND having an Air cooled engine, while it being absolutely unique (7 in the world), and to have almost limitless customization is not a bad deal at all.
I think you misunderstand. Having seen them in person I agree the cars are nothing short of amazing. It's the business model that I find fascinating.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:03 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

I think you misunderstand. Having seen them in person I agree the cars are nothing short of amazing. It's the business model that I find fascinating.
Oh ok, agreed. I think this must have started as a passion project for himself and then due to the demand and excitement has turned into a business! If I won a lottery ticket and if I had a full stable of the cars I desired, this 100% would be on the table.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:12 PM
mattyf
Pro

Check your PM too!
Old 09-28-2013, 11:33 PM
Ferd the Bird
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is an interesting model, but the guys at Singer are making a truly unique creation....if you are a 911 nut (as I am) there's really no way to not fall in love with the Singer 911. To see it in person is to fully understand the car....lots of drool.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:27 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Now this is a custom made, best bits from all gens of Air cooled 911s... what would be a car with best bits of all water cooled car gens put together?

For me:
- GT3 RS 4.0 engine
- GT3 RS 4.0 transmission
- Carrera Classic Interior with bucket seats (but 4 seats)
- Embedded leather wrapped roll-cage
- Body to be a CF combo of GT3 RS 4.0 and GT2 RS (like the intake on the back spoiler)
- Wider front end from 991 and even wider rear-end (wider than 991 Turbo)
- Electronics from 991
- Steering, and suspension from GT3 RS 4.0
- No front LED
- Front bumper from 997.1 GT3 RS
- Fuchs center lock wheels!
A 2011 GTS!

Quick Reply: Top Gear drives the mighty Singer 911