Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 - Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 04:33 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 - Review

I've been using Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2s for two seasons now, and I am SUPER impressed by them.

I got them on an 18" Carrera wheel set, in 235/265 size. I put them on around November and take them off in March for wet/snow season.

Ride:
9/10. They ride fantastic. I am not sure if it's mostly because of being 18inch or just softer sidewall, or both. It's always an adjustment when I switch from winter to summer, I gotto remember that this bump I take everyday is gonna hurt/jolt a lot more now!

Handling:
7/10 overall - For a winter set, I'd rate them 10/10. They actually have fairly good turn-in, and grip really well in colder climates.
The main difference between these and PS2 is that, YOU MUST keep the pressure on these at the higer range of cold temps to control roll, if for instance you set the pressure in warmer months, then must adjust when it's much colder so tires don't roll as much. When set to 33-35/39-41, it does very well. They are much more sensetive to lower pressures than PS2,which has a much harder sidewall.
The other thing that I noticed was you get into ABS MUCH SOONER than PS2, so be careful under hard braking.

Dry Grip:
8/10. I never driven them in warmer weather (and not that they're designed for), but I'd say they actually grip BETTER in dry than PS2 during colder months in Vancouver, when tempreture is between -5 to 12 degree celcius. PS2 HAS TO GET WARM to grip, so even when the temps are within their operating range, they got really poor grip during the first couple of miles of drive.
So, I definitely recommend PA2 for winter months over PS2, EVEN IF you don't get snow in your region.

Wet Grip:
9/10. The most impressive part of these tires for me is their wet grip. They just have immense wet grip, and very rarely hydoplane. I believe the main reason is their directional design that channels water away very nicely. They are significantly better than PS2 in rain.

Snow/ICE Grip:
7/10. I haven't driven them in snow/ice much, just 4-5 days over the last 2 years. I'd say they do NOT have as much grip as dedicated snow tires in ice/snow, but do the job well enough not to be stuck anywhere in light to medium level of snow. They did slide a bit, and you had to be careful taking corners in snow, but when you brake, they stop the car in much shorter distance than all-seasons.

Overall:
I think these are THE IDEAL cold/winter tires you can get for your Porsche. They work fantastic in wet, work very well in dry, and can get you around in snow without any drama, while compromising very little when it comes to handling your sports car (just mind the tire pressure). I'd actually recommend these over PS2 for wet cold weather even if you don't get snow.

Last edited by alexb76; 01-30-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:55 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Alex,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Kudos to you for using your 997 in the winter.

Mark
Old 01-30-2012, 05:41 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Alex,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Kudos to you for using your 997 in the winter.

Mark
Thanks.

It's SUCH A SHAME more people don't use their 997s in wet weather, let alone snow! It's actually very solid and great in wet, unlike some might think.

PS. I think our cars look identical!
Old 01-30-2012, 10:11 PM
equ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I concur. I have pa3's on my a4. While there are more more dedicated snow tires out there, the dry/wet behaviour of the pilot alpin pa3's is nothing short of incredible. Switching over from my summer pirelli p7 cinturato's, they seem better at even crossover temperatures like 55F.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:01 PM
deijmaster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Thanks.

It's SUCH A SHAME more people don't use their 997s in wet weather, let alone snow! It's actually very solid and great in wet, unlike some might think.

PS. I think our cars look identical!
+1, but I still drive my tribeca in the winter, not because I don't or can't use it in the winter but more in consideration of other "poor drivers" around us... Just last week I was at the stop sign and some poor soul hit me at 20mph... I was very happy to be in the tribeca and not in my 911.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:02 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Nice review. Thank you for taking the time. I have your exact summer/winter set up. I am in awe of the superior levels of traction in ice/snow over mountain passes in frigid temps. I drive it 300 miles every week over snoqualmie pass. Just have to use due dilligence. Rest ... This amazing vehicle does for you. It is interesting to note (at least my experience), that the more you use it everyday the less concerned you are that it will be facing the ravages of time, travel and other not so friendly drivers who do everything but drive when they ate commuting.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:40 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Alex,

I agree completely with your review of your winter tires. I run the same combination of summer and winter tires and have been impressed by the PA2's in sub zero weather, heavy snow and dry pavement use.

I've had to do panic braking with winter tires mounted and winter tires have saved my bacon by simply grabbing hold of the cold, dry pavement better than an all season might have done in the same condition. Winter tires are worth it!

Obviously the salt, sand and slop of winter takes it's toll on cars, but these 997's do exceptionally well in cold and damp winter conditions. Traction levels are insane on slipperty roads, even with a C2.

Best,

Jay
Old 01-31-2012, 11:40 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Will they fit on my 19" lobster forks?
Old 02-01-2012, 12:10 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sclemmons
Will they fit on my 19" lobster forks?
Not sure if they got fitment for 19s... I believe they do. Search tirerack.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:54 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Got Alpins as my true snow tires for another vehicle (also rear engine, drive) and they are super in the snow.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 - Review